1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Bringing up Ange and Martin to justify our performances this season.. lol.

Hardly 2 games have went by where we haven't looked vulnerable or produced a turgid 90 mins.

It's not about gagging for rodgers to fail.. most have strongly backed him throughout the season, but we've largely yet to improve.. or established a clear style of play.

Title race is two painfully mediocre sides seeing who can determine who's less *.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  2. murphy88

Does that no show he wasn’t thinking about it at all?

3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Us 'limping over the line lots of times' under Ange is a bit of an exaggeration I think. Of course there were nervy ends to matches from time to time, but on the whole we dominated and saw out games far more comfortably than we have this season.

It's not really helpful to compare against past managers at this stage of the season, but since you brought it up, I can think of many games under Ange where we dominated sides so thoroughly that they'd be feeding off scraps in the form of 1 or 2 shots on target all match. There were definitely far fewer instances of games against dross descending into something akin to a basketball game with almost even chances for both sides, as we've seen numerous times this season. I can't remember too many comfortable 3 or 4 nil results over the past couple months, that's for sure.

At any rate, this right now is the best squad we've had to call on all season and I have a reasonable amount of faith in Rodgers being able to see us over the line.

NakamuraTastic and NomDePlum like this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Eloquently put as ever, Patrick.

5. FrankMcCallum

Lol all you want, the current team isn’t the first Celtic team to struggle through games, hence the mention of two of other successful managers who went through the same thing at pivotal times. With far superior squads.

Like I say, people have incredibly short and selective memories.

I agree we’ve been very poor at times this season, but this is a thread about our manager, and our dogshit recruitment policy is the predominant factor for our patchy form.

If our board demonstrated a shred of ambition in his two transfer windows, we’d have been in the Europa League knockouts at least, and the league would be sown up already.

Not many managers realistically attainable to us would have performed better than him this season, given the * poor squad he has at his disposal.

HoopyT, Big C and Crilly like this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    People keep on bringing up recruitment policy but Rodgers has been in charge through those 2 recruitment windows, so has a fair degree of responsibility in my book. He was here from the start of the summer.

It's not really comparable the job O'Neill and Ange took on compared to the position Rodgers took on this time round. They had a rebuild at points of crisis, Rodgers took us on when we were our most successful. His lack of focus on the job at the start was outrageous.

In all honesty I'd have expected any half decent manager to have us in a similar position given our dominance and how poor the Huns are. Said exactly the same when Ange arrived, and he had a far harder task.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Buzzing for the new manager to face the same criticism next season

HoopyT, NomDePlum and Crilly like this.
  8. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Arguably yeah.

But you could also view it as recognising his usual formation wasn't working and trying something else. He just didn't know what he was doing.

Wheras Rodgers has played the same shape and same dire football from 1st game of the season and appears content to get by doing the absolute bare minimum.

To me he looks like a manager who knows he's away at the end of the season

johnfife1959 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  9. murphy88

If it’s just throwing * and hoping it sticks, that doesn’t show someone who is thinking anything through really.

The football this season has been a tough watch for most of it, I’d never argue against that. I think given the injuries and signings, I’m willing to accept that these two have played a major part in that. If we can get the double won, then ultimately I think that’s job done for this season in my opinion. Given that we have won 8 trebles in our history, fans saying a treble should be bare minimum are being unrealistic in my opinion. Otherwise they are in for a lot of disappointment in the future, I can guarantee that.

His attitude the last 8 or so weeks hasn’t been one of a manger who knows he is away at the end of the season. The complete opposite in fact. It’s been someone who knows we are in a real title fight and he has shown a confidence and calmness, which has shown on the park as well. I’ve said this a few times recently, but we have now scored 31 goals in our last 10 games. At this stage of the season with huge pressure on us, that’s good going in my opinion, and it doesn’t back up the boring and stale football argument.

The_Bhoy, Crilly and honda like this.
  10. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I think we can do better ofc, but i must admit that i think that BR have stepped up recently. He is a winner, that's for sure. Not the best football but we are getting the results. One bad result will change that though because he have not made enough to convince everyone.

The_Bhoy and seanm like this.
  11. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Still 100% behind him, needs backed properly in Summer.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree with you on a lot, but saying we’ve been very poor “at times this season” is being generous. We’ve been * dire since day 1 of the season really. You could count on one hand the number of good 90 minute performances.

His management of the squad has been baffling - sticking with Scales and essentially bombing out Nawrocki and Lagerbielke. Holm has disappeared completely. Playing an injured McGregor in the business end of the season. Playing Yang regularly when Forrest (the supposed best winger at the club) is fit.

We have no style of play beyond play it wide and hope one of our * wingers can do something. Kyogo’s game has been completely killed.

I agree he’s been dealt a * hand with recruitment - albeit he’s not innocent there at all. And we’ve had bad injuries. But even with that, there’s no way we should be turning in the performances we have done so regularly this season.

13. TheHappyLoss

Agree with pretty much all Officer Doofy said there. Really torn, he hasn’t been properly backed in any transfer window, but a lot, not a few of the performances dished up against some utter * teams fills me with little confidence. There isn’t a Celtic fan alive that doesn’t want him to win the league, but really don’t think I want him to stay. And all the people forget this about Ange or Martin O’Neill or whoever is utter bollocks, it’s about the here and now, doesn’t matter currently what’s gone before.

NakamuraTastic and seanm like this.
  14. Onefootwonder

Rodgers has spent €26m according to Transfermarkt. We also had loan signings from Liverpool, Benfica and Norwich. They'll all be on good money. Phillips has left after being a terrible.

That's the same amount as Ange got transforming our squad in his first season. Both managers lost top players and took more in than they sold. Ange took over a mess of a squad and Rodgers took over a treble winning side.

We do have a lot of good players. The big that concerns me the most is how inconsistent we are. If our players are playing well we will blow anyone in the league away.

Too often our players turn up looking lacklustre and not showing the effort and desire needed. That's the least that they should be showing.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Possibly end the season with 96 points. Cant grumble at that, considering the team he's had available. I'd like to see what he can achieve in Europe with a fully backed team. Especially in this new competition. Avoid bottom 8? Then we get into the knockouts. Your no longer relying on a "good draw" since your playing enough teams (2... :56: ) at our qaulity so have a real chance every single year. Its down to the board and recruitment team now.

16. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Interseting how one manager get his first name used and the other only his surname.. I think yer working off a bit of bias there mate. The main difference is the players that came in.. pretty much all of the players under Ange were 'his' signings the type of player he wanted for the position he wanted. Brendan hasn't had that level of support and I just hope he gets it in the Summer.

17. FrankMcCallum

Aye he’s definitely not been without his faults for sure.

Some bizarre decisions as well like the one he put Iwata on at centre half, realised it was going pear shaped and put Lagerbielke on two minutes later.

Then the one he put Bernabei on at left wing and had to change it. Starting Turnbull over Hatate etc. I’m not for one minute saying he’s perfect.

I just think it’s easy to forget how much he’s been hindered by the recruitment, lack of ambition, and the sale of our best players without replacing them.

A lot of our fans will have already forgotten about the transfer windows and lack of activity and will be already pointing the finger solely at Rodgers for the team’s lack of fluency, which I just don’t think is fair.

He deserves a chance to oversee a mini rebuild of the squad, regardless of the outcome of this season for me, but I know that may not be popular.

18. seanm

From our board not a chance. They dont even back our womems team. HH

19. FrankMcCallum

I do this as well mate to be fair and I’m a fan of Rodgers.

For me its just because Postecoglou is a bit inconvenient to type constantly :56:

NakamuraTastic and NomDePlum like this.
  20. seanm

Like 50 percent of fans i do not want him here next season but he will be because no one wants him down south.HH