1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, I can't argue with any of that. Wish he'd give it a rest, it's not helping.

FrankMcCallum and martin_d like this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I've said exactly that in a different context. If the context is someone arguing we should get rid of Rodgers then I think that's a very legitimate response. In ths case, however, it's just someone correctly pointing out how annoying he is and that can't be argued against IMHO.

Lewis Kerr and martin_d like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Someone said it on here the other day, but Rodgers is really starting to sound a bit like Lennon. Which is a worry.

JamesM09 likes this.
  5. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Their exchange after the game wound me up. Lennon's going on at him like 'oh the narrative, the problems the club supposedly has', as if if they're imaginary problems. You can see the vested interest he has in that interpretation. It was just the supporters being unreasonable during his last run as well, we're the common denominator, inventing problems. Naw Neil, you * * the ten with the same squad that won the treble the year before, you literally lost the dressing room and buried your head in the sand.

If I was Brendan I'd distance myself from that denialist pish before I got any on me.

JamesM09 likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I actually think he's starting to show a bit of fight, which is welcome..

Mentality, Physicality fc.. :BR1:

OverandOver and stevoEOS like this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Peter T. Lawwell Esq likes this.
  8. apevrak

Bodø/Glimt brought in Tromsø's manager Gaute Helstrup as assistant manager in January. A chock move, Tromsø finished third in Eliteserien and is Glimt's rivals. Helstrup could probably go on and get a job pretty much anywhere in Scandinavia, but ended up as Glimt's nr 2. Norwegian press has speculated that Helstrup will act as Knutsen's protege at the start of the season and take the reigns when Knutsen leaves for a bigger club in the summer.

9. NoContextCelts

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    That's what I've heard too, the only way I see him joining us is if he takes a one year break then joins when Rodgers's contract is up

10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has told Celtic's cynics "I don't care" as he moved to shut down the outside noise surrounding the club.

The champions are now level at the Premiership summit with city rivals Rangers after they defeated Ross County midweek in their final game in hand over the Hoops. Philippe Clement and his troops had the chance to leapfrog the Parkhead outfit into top spot but failed to get the three goals they needed after running out 3-1 winners meaning both sides are level on points and goal difference.

The Hoops did hold a healthy advantage at one point during the early season struggles in Govan that ended up with Michael Beale being axed and Clement taking over the top job. He's since clawed back the points gap with a run of consistent results coupled up with some dropped points by Rodgers' side. Both are in action this weekend as the pressure starts to build on the duo with both neck and neck and every single point now looking crucial as we head towards the business end of the season

Asked what narrative has been built-up and the perception this season of his side outside the club, Rodgers blasted: "To be fair I don't care. I don't care to be honest. My focus is with the team. I understand and get the feeling and I understand you have to create that. I understand in this city that the two teams can't be doing well. When I was in Liverpool, Liverpool and Everton could be doing well at the same time but that can't happen here.

"One has to be pushed down. And for us, it is us because we are at the top. We slipped up in early December but that narrative has continued right the way through even though the players have won eight games, some tough games and drawn one game.

"I can't control that but what I can control is the mindset and attitude of the team and knowing over this next period of games we will be really focused, aggressive and attack the game. What everybody else says, writes, I couldn't care less."

Celtic host Kilmarnock on Saturday afternoon before Rangers make the trip to Perth to face St Johnstone 24 hours later as the top flight enters match week 26. Following the conclusion of the weekend only 12 games will be left to play including two derby showdowns with one at Ibrox and one at Parkhead

Asked his thoughts on what could be the title deciding factor, Rodgers said: "There is still a lot of games to go. I think it is great for the league. You never go into any league title and think it is going to be a procession. It is hard work and hard graft and over 38 games the best team will always win the league.

"For us, it is about ourselves and our own attitude and mindset. That aspect is very good and we just need to worry about ourselves and focus on each of our games and see where it takes us."

Asked if he was kicking himself over letting a commanding position slip, he continued: "No. Not really. I have seen that lots of times but the actual reality is the most we ever would have been in front would have been five points if you take away the two games. We were never seven points. There was still two games they had to play and they've now played them

We've dropped five points but no, I am not kicking myself it is what happens throughout the season. Our response from the two games we conceded early in December has been absolutely brilliant.

"In any other country eight wins out of nine is actually a very, very good return but I have been here in Scotland and I know eight wins out of nine is a disaster when you are top of the league. So I just focus on what we need to do. "

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That is the first thing he has said since he has been back, that I've liked what I've heard. But talk is cheap, on the park and in the results is what matters.

greengrocer, JML67 and Hammy89 like this.
  13. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    There’s been a couple of moments where I’ve seen his passion spill out instead of the carefully cultivated image, and I’ve liked that more than any well spoken PR, well thought calculated out reply. He needs more of that.

14. oh bhoy

dont know why rodgers is talking about an outside narative then that he doesnt care about it and i hope the * that bullshit is just for the fannies in the press ,we have been pish this season thats not a narative its a weekly dose of mindnumbing sideways pish that he needs to sort out

15. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    He is right in the sense that this is the Glasgow goldfish bowl and both teams can’t be doing well.

It’s just not possible - the Glasgow psychology does not allow it to happen.

I averaged how many points we were on after 25 games since 11/12. Comes out at 61 points - which is exactly where we are at the moment.

JML67 and Hammy89 like this.
  16. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony

Was he given the job in the shower???? It has happened before....

17. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    We are still top of the league even though we are going through a frustratingly bad spell. If your not performing well but you are still top then that says something. I am confident when our performances pick that we'll be back to blowing teams away and we'll charge off out of sight in the league. Just need to start playing better is all

18. Foley1888

Tomorrow is a big game we need to win first and foremost but could really do with a cohesive performance.

We win tomorrow they have two games before we play again so it moves any pressure back on to them.

This has been one of the strangest seasons we actually looked ready to really kick on this season after the 4-1 demolition of Hearts at Tyncastle, we then got the 2-2 draw with Atletico but the effort put into that game with the squad as it was cost us 2 points at Easter Road, our main men were out on their feet that day and the depth in the squad wasn’t there to rotate them. When we did make subs Forrest missed a great chance to get all three points. Since Clement came into them that has been the difference they would have sneaked that goal and got 3 points. I don’t think we can afford to drop points before they do again. We have given back too many cheaply of late.

A good win and performance tomorrow would set us up well for what comes next hopefully another Kyogo goal, O’Riley and or Palma too as in an attacking sense until Hatate is back they are our main players.

Interestingly winning this title now could come down to luck on the injury front for the rest of the season, we need CCV and Hatate to come back and remain fit for the remainder of the run in. Not come back and breakdown again.

Rodgers does seem to have changed his tact and deliberately so trying to foster an energy from the squad that don’t listen to that outside noise and start showing what you are about again. He does some amount of waffling to do it but hopefully it has a positive effect.

19. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Yes I still have faith in Rodgers and faith that we will still clear up the remaining 2 trophies this season. I think some people over-react when we dont go out and hammer teams every single week. No team can be awesome every week and plenty bigger and better than us have went through bad spells. Keep the faith in Brendan and it'll work out well in the end. But the next transfer window we need a plan and know who we are signing before the window even opens hopefully

20. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has pleaded for patience from the Celtic supporters as they take on Kilmarnock this afternoon, as he says any anxiety in the stands at Celtic Park can easily transfer itself onto the pitch and affect his players.

The champions have stuttered on occasion on home turf this season, losing to Hearts and dropping points in draws with St Johnstone and Motherwell, and Rodgers is certain that Kilmarnock – who have beaten Celtic twice this season at Rugby Park – will provide another stern test.

He has warned fans that it may take his men some time to break down a side that Derek McInnes will have well organised, and if it does, he has asked that they stay with their team.

“Supporters always have that ability to make the difference,” Rodgers said.

“And that’s what Celtic supporters are renowned for. The fans genuinely make the difference at this club and have shown that over many, many years. Hopefully we can continue with that.

“Derek's style and how they play is very clear. They play direct, they get the ball wide, they get crosses in the box. They play differently to most in that it's a man-to-man marking style. And it can take 60-70 minutes to break through that because of the nature of the game.

“There are some excellent managers up here, experienced managers who aren't just going to send their teams out to roll over. That's the great challenge we have.

“There's not any season that I expect it to be a procession and clearly it's not. But that should then excite people for the challenge. You shouldn't be fearful of it. It's brilliant, go and do your very best and see where it takes us.

“We lost some games that we’re disappointed in and a lot of that boils down to not taking chances which then creates an anxiety in the stadium.

“You’ve got some young players who are here at the very beginning of their career, and obviously teams play differently and a fraction deeper.

“We talk about Kyogo (Furuhashi)’s strength being running in behind, but sometimes there’s no space in behind. It’s no coincidence in the bigger games when there is space he’s played really well.

“And in those games where it’s been tighter, if you look at last year the two players who supplied him with the most passes were Jota and (Reo) Hatate. And they’re not here.

“In the meantime, the players are working so hard and are very honest. We don’t want to lose games at home. We always feel your home form is so important.”

Rodgers is attempting to shield his players from other forms of anxiety too from outside of the club, with the prospect of Rangers going top of the league during the week had they scored one more goal against Ross County being painted in some quarters as a changing of the guard, and a disaster for Celtic.

“That’s not my world!” he said.

“It doesn’t matter whose world that is. I look at it logically. I enjoy life and I love my life. I know when you have dreams – and it’s a dream for me to manage Celtic – it’s not always easy. Sometimes it’s hard. But it’s all worthwhile in the end.

“I love my work and love being with the players but knowing that it’s not always easy. But you deal with it.

“My messaging to them is important. I’ve got experience and I’ve not just worked only in this league. If you were Man City or Liverpool and were top of the league having won eight out of nine games then you would be doing very well.

“But this is a unique country where you’re in crisis. But it’s not a crisis in my mind.

“Look at the metrics we work with and a lot of them have been the same or even better. The only one that’s slightly down is our defensive stuff.

“If you’ve got any idea about football or have been watching our games you’ll know we’ve been missing him, him and him. Other than that, we’ll always strive to be better as that’s the expectation of the club. As long as it’s realistic then that’s okay.

“The narrative is clear in what it’s trying to promote. But for me my promotion is always this club and this team to be the best that we can.”