1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jvalin

I actually think BR's possession-heavy style is perfectly suited against inferior domestic opposition. Look no further than his first reign when we won 3 trebles in a row (although BR left half way through the 3rd season). Problem is, it doesn't seem to work against elite Champions League teams. No matter how much quality we add to the squad, we will never outplay the likes of Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern Munich, PSG, etc. We can potentially outrun them though. That's where Ange's approach comes into play. Players who are poor on the ball like Maeda, Abada, Iwata, etc may frequently struggle against teams parking the bus, but they are firing on all cylinders against offensive-minded teams.

Ange had gradually transformed us into a team that suited his style. I fully believe we were a few final touches away from making serious progress in Europe. One of my fondest memories from Ange's era is the 2022/23 Champions League opener against Real Madrid. The team was a joy to watch! No fear whatsoever. Constant pressing. A couple of missed opportunities to score. Amazing performance! We eventually lost the game, but I've never seen a Celtic team playing with that level of confidence against an elite european team.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  2. Sgt Neppers*

3. horseshoe

Considering the lead we've just frittered away it's looking far from perfectly suited, just saying he won 3 trebles playing this style doesn't really give you the whole picture, we smashed it his first season sure, but the next two leagues we won with 82 and 87 points, the huns were miles off it struggling to finish second so it didn't really matter then, but week to week we weren't great, and the way we're playing now has much more in common with those two years than his first season unfortunately, it was a massive concern for me when he was announced in the summer.

It's really looking like he hasn't learned anything since his first time in charge, or he's just that arrogant and thinks he doesn't actually need to change anything.

Mickmac likes this.
  4. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Seen people are saying he should be sacked if we drop points Wednesday. There’s no way he will be sacked, not a chance. Could drop points next 5 games out board are sacking him.

5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    If we cannot beat an extra * Hibs on Wednesday, he should be sacked

6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Should but wouldn’t. Remember Lennon? We won’t sack him because of the money it would cost also.

7. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I think our board has frazzled our minds, we are all .ucked up over the situation at Celtic, i wish i was dreaming but i am not and it is a .ucking nightmare

seamus1967 likes this.
  8. jvalin

The way I see it, he doesn't have the type of players that suit his philosophy. Can't play a possession-heavy style with Maeda, Kyogo, Abada, Iwata, etc. That's not to say they are bad players. Just that they don't fit in BR's system. Give him Dembele/Edouard instead of Kyogo and a couple of technically-gifted wingers/midfielders and we'd be cruising. Easier said than done, obviously.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Listen, see if the manager hasn't got the players to suit his playing style......well guess what, HE needs to change his style then if he hasn't got the tools to work in a certain way!

His style most definitely doesn't suit this team - so, as much as he's been shafted by the board, and players aren't producing for him, HE is also a huge part of this * implosion going on at CP.

10. jvalin

I'm not arguing against the bolded part. That said, I don't think it's realistic to expect from him to change his philosophy. It would be as if hiring Ange at let's say Atletico Madrid expecting him to play like Simeone. It won't happen. That's not how he understands the game of football. Each manager has his unique style/approach. The board is to blame for the fact we hired a manager who cannot maximize the potential of our current squad.

11. Lochlin Mcghee

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    Maeda can certainly beat a man.

12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's pretty strange the that Ange's high pressing, high intensity system worked wonders in breaking down low blocks in Scotland while Rodgers' possession based, patient style is struggling with it.

I don't think it's outrageous to suggest a manager of the calibre of Rodgers finds solutions to the problems we face, it's not as if he needs to completely change the entire system. He can still adapt an attacking philosophy while coaching the players to perform specific instructions that play to their strengths.

Lecs likes this.
  13. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    :87:

14. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I've never seen us properly take it to a team of that quality. When Strachan and lennon got results in Europe it was amazing defensive displays with moments of magic.

The way Ange dominated the European champions was incredibly impressive even though we lost.

NakamuraTastic, jvalin and seamus1967 like this.
  15. murphy88

Nah. We were gutted because we were losing a top manager at the time who was being let down badly by Lawwell etc. The performance levels dropped as our recruitment was getting worse. He then went down to Leicester and done very well and had them playing some very good football. Something which he would have continued with here had we backed him, but we didn’t. Similar to what is happening now in all honesty.

16. Bhoy0593

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think he is a good manager but he’s just been let down heavily by the board imo.

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why have you quoted someone else's comment but it says my name at the top of it? :56:

murphy88 likes this.
  18. murphy88

If the board weren’t prepared to give Rodgers the money to get the tools to play his system, they shouldn’t have appointed him. They should have brought in someone similar to Ange if that was going to be the case.

19. murphy88

:56:

Never seen that before. Don’t know what’s happened there.

Double Dutch likes this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

Totally agree.

I personally didn't want him, nor do I still!