1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agreed man.

That's him stated he's using the summer to January months to work (the recruitment team ha) on targets.
    He said before the window opened he wanted 4 of quality.
    He said before Kuhn signed that we would only sign quality that improves us.

He's today admitted we've not done that as a collective and that he wants that fixed going forward.

If the club don't listen now, they never will.

Rodgers has said enough for us all to know, this is not what he was promised when coming back and he's firmly not backed by the club this season.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

2. stevoEOS

The summer shitshow was the warning. I have zero faith this board will ever deliver what we need to properly progress as a club. This window was their last chance to prove they actually give two * about the team/supporters and not just the bank balance. They’ve shat all over the little amount of faith some of us had left in them. They need hunted asap.

3. Martybhoy53

Got a sense of exasperation in that press conference although he was very PC with his terminology about nobody to blame, we all work together. A lot of contradictory statements. Mentioned “whilst I’m here..” a few times. I think he’s away in the summer regardless of what happens from now until the end of the season. Our club is a shambles from top to bottom. Dinosaurs running the club and lining their pockets with supporters money.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    Morcombe and NakamuraTastic like this.
  4. James Gold Member Gold Member

His press conference has made me feel slightly better and has given a little bit of hope for the summer but he's also contradicted everything he has said previously to this point so I wouldn't be taking his word. The main positive I took from it was how he spoke about Idah he makes it seem like he genuinely wanted him but that still doesn't explain why it is only a loan deal. It's time for him to earn his wages now as the squad isn't where it could and should be and we're bang in a title race

bhroom likes this.
  5. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    "I feel like the fans are looking for someone to blame, but that's not what we do at Celtic"

There's yer problem

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Be brilliant if he did, said it how it is, I know he’s not going to do it but he would literally unite the supporters for me if he did.

We all know he’s been * over, third time as well.

NakamuraTastic and Mr Shelby like this.
  7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think it’s already toxic, it’s been toxic for weeks. One bad result and it’s going to turn really bad.

8. JamesM09

This * * is lecturing us what Celtic are about?

The * that * off mid-season? Is that what we’re about?

Get him to *. Can’t believe he’s taking some sort of moral high ground.

johnfife1959, oh bhoy and Davbhoyinoz like this.
  9. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Agreed, as disappointing as the business we did was, it would have been worse had we done a load of * business and then been saddled with terrible contacts for the next few years.

But that only goes so far and it's now two consecutive windows where we haven't sufficiently addressed weaknesses in the squad.

It also raises questions over our lack of forward planning. Rodgers spoke about teams being unwilling to let their players go, but you'd think we'd have multiple targets. There's a whole world of footballers out there and plenty of decent ones at that, but you have to have the structures in place and the willingness to identify them.

10. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe hoping him or Oh pushes on in the second half of the season. It's basically 5 months for both to prove it.

JC Anton likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye I totally agree. But I'm still happy he's at least acknowledged the fans concerns. Rather than the default answer immediately.

bhoy81 likes this.
  12. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I wasn’t too keen on him coming back and haven’t really enjoyed much of our football this season but it’s pretty clear he has one hand tied behind his back. He’s not getting what he wants and everyone can see we are crying out for quality in a couple of positions. The fact we are so tight and risk averse at board level will mean we never progress. We will continue to edge ahead of the huns and in Europe…just content to be taking part. Serious attitude shift needed

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Got round to watching the full thing. Seemed a fair bit scripted with all the “hard work” chat about the club. Some birthday caird pish about being all together too.

He definitely got his dig in though, quite rightly. He’s clearly not happy.

The thing that stood out for me the most which he said a few times about potential players coming in was “they didn’t quite fit the profile”. Eh? Fair enough we get offered some players, every club does but that was his answer everytime! Are we not paying guys to go out and find players who ‘fit the profile’? Seems like are recruitment team do absolutely * all but hang around waiting for agents to offer us players.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  14. Sween

I thought it was fairly interesting but he spoke as if he joined the club today rather than speaking as a manager who has had two windows, and the last one just close.

I thought he sounded pretty flat. Someone paid by a company who needs to make sure they say the right thing, but no real energy to passionately defend it for not being run properly. Didn't make me feel very positive

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  15. Lewis Kerr

A complete and utter board apologist. Not sure how you can watch that press conference and think any different.

scuzzy likes this.
  16. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    were you expecting him to come out and criticise? I personally thought he was pretty balanced but I took from it that he wasn’t happy. The comments about being braver suggested that

17. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Aye you'd think and I think he does mean it but .....

18. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Devils advocate moment, do you think the board have done this to give him the opportinuty to be seen as on the side of the fans thus getting stronger support from us than he was getting to begin with?

Edit - whilst both parties think we have enough to win the league

19. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

So let's put you in Brendan's shoes. I don't know what you do for a living, let's just say for arguement sake you are a director of a dominos franchise, your potential business is busting out the guts. You got to order a record breaking amount of pizza bases but the franchise tell you they can only give 25% of the bases you feel you need, across all your stores. Do you come out the next day and say dominos (your employer) is a disgrace and they never support you or do you get on with it!

If choose they are disgrace then you are out of a job

If choose to get on with it then you might think you are the best man to make the most of the ingredients available then you continue your employment and might make a success of it

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Not happy in the slightest with our business over the last 2 windows, and there's still major question marks behind whether or not Rodgers is the right choice for us, but I'm fully behind him.

Pump the sheep tomorrow and get back to winning ways.

Slaw likes this.