1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Scales and Palma are OK but Scales isn't as good as Starfelt, Palma is nowhere near as good as Jota and Hatate has barely kicked a ball for us. 3 players who were vital to how we played under Ange. Add to that long a absence for Abada, Oh not reaching the same standard as Giakoumakis and you can see why we've struggled. Just look at some of the players we've had to play!

In spite of that, we're top of the league having beaten Rangers twice, we got 4 points in our CL group when journalists were openly saying we'd get none and we were very unlucky indeed not to get a 5th point against Lazio. We got our first CL win since the last time Rodgers was here into the bargain.

All in all, Rodgers has held it together about as well as he could have reasonably been expected to, in spite of the worst backing I've seen in a Celtic manager's first season for a very long time.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ange probably is a better manager than Rodgers; but Rodgers is still an extremely good manager. Ange had far more backing. As I said in a post above, it has been a very long time since I've seen a Celtic manager so poorly backed in his first season.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    :56:- what's Rodgers job? Clue 2 - he's not doing it. He wants backed he should make it happen.

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think he has the power to force it and he doesn't have the ability to do what Ange did and publicly shame them without actually shaming them (but very few managers do have that ability TBH).

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

I think your putting far to much weight in a win in a game that was a dead rubber for both sides the reality is we failed in Europe this year now I will agree that is not on Rodgers he actually had us performing relatively well.

He hasn't been backed I agree but he also never had the choice of using Jota, Mooy, Starfelt etc and this is the same Rodgers who has defended the recruitment and also today defended the board.

Rodgers' job is to make players better regardless of their price or when they were signed outwith O'Riley is anyone else having a better season than last year or have they almost all to man gone backwards

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

If we look at the facts of it this season. Rodgers was unveiled and spoke about progressing in Europe and praised the work that had been done in the recruitment department since he left. We then established a decent lead in the league but questions were starting to be asked of the summer recruitment but then again Rodgers sat at the top table of the AGM and defended the recruitment and said he had final say on the players coming in. Not long after the results went downhill that was when he started throwing some shade at the board and would speak about signing quality at any opportunity. We then arrive in January we're all expecting to sign the quality we've hear about for the last 2 months but that doesn't materialise. We struggle to beat a * poor Ross County side at home and the manager is now seemingly preparing us for disappointment as it becomes apparent we wont be getting what we need in the window but at the same time as doing this he has a go at the support and defends the board.

I think the above is fairly accurate and I for the life of me can't understand why he is defending a board which isn't giving him the 'quality' he keeps going on about it's * bizarre. He can't play both sides he can't defend the board whilst simultaneously telling us he's not getting what he wanted

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    So you are saying, possibly putting words in your mouth here, he's a serious downgrade on our last manager and lacks key attributes to make the current situation work? But that's nothing to do with him :43:.

In all honesty, I think we'll still win the league, but it'll be despite Rodgers and it will be tedious. I don't think he's terrible, I just think he's half-arsed, and not really that interested.

Mickmac and johnfife1959 like this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You read too much into him defending the recruitment and the board. He's a B*******er and always has been.
    Regarding your last point, when a team isn't playing well, the flaws in individual players start to show. For example, we all know that the flaws Taylor has shown were always there. I would argue something similar for AJ Also, Hart is getting older.

The one thing I'll give you is Kyogo. He is really is a genuinely good player who has lost his mojo and it might be the case that it is Rodgers' fault. It's the only case of genuine regression I can see.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm saying we won a watch with Ange, mate. Brendan Rodgers is an extremely good manager, as his record in England shows. No shame in being a slight downgrade on Ange.

The last part (I've put it in bold) is interesting, because I don't agree with you overall; but when I listen to him, I think I can see signs that he's thinking of throwing his toys out of the pram at the situation and you might end up being right for the second half of the season. If that happens, I will also line up to criticise him.

10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    He's not been very good this season in Scotland, and it doesn't look like he has the capabilities to improve the situation.

Much more should be expected of a Celtic manager.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well, as I said, I don't think our problems are down to him. I think he has done about as well as can be expected with the players at his disposal (and better than expected in Europe).

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    That's not really engaging with the points I've made. Just repetition of a position. But let's leave it there as you obviously are happy with Brendan, regardless and don't really expect much from him for whatever reason.

13. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I think the issue I have with Rodgers is how disinterested he looks and sounds at all times. There's no fire in his belly. Whether talking about the game, transfers, or basically anything, he just glazes over and gives the same response. Encouraging, improvements, quality, etc. He seems to be a man content to keep his head above water, not much desire to rock the boat. He seems bored coaching Celtic and frankly I'm bored watching his team turn out. Same turgid stuff every week.

Sgt Neppers* and NomDePlum like this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Yip, doesn't appear to give a toss has been my read on him from the start. Bizarre, and don't quite understand it, but has been pretty apparent.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  15. Thebs

What's frustrating is when BR joined in the summer he identified quickly what we needed. Pace and Power. This wasn't added then and it seems unlikely its coming before the deadline.

Something is not right at our club and on the outside we really have no idea. Usually that's on the board as they are the only ones who have the power to change themselves and everything below them.

Tactically we could be better but I felt under Ange without Hatate/Jota we could be really poor at times. The poster above is correct that BR is probably the least backed manager to have seen for many years. It's clear like us that he wants quality added and somewhere we are failing.

16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    If he's not been backed, why's he here? Not sure I buy that. Rodgers to me is extremely complacent.

17. Thebs

That's the unknown and why I'm on the fence about him. If this mess is being caused by the board or recruitment team then I feel for BR. Maybe promises made to him are not being delivered. Could be that he had faith in recruitment based off Anges first season. I would say that last season was also a failure on recruitment.

If the reason our club has failed to progress from a position of strength, sat with a huge bank balance and has lower team quality than before is down to BR then its time to move him on but to me it seems unlikely.

martin_d and NomDePlum like this.
  18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Why unlikely? Find that hard to see. Rodgers has more experience of the club and those involved than pretty much anyone in the world.

If he is too weak for the job that's as bad. Just don't think he's interested.

19. Thebs

Unlikely because we have been seeing these signs for a while now and the behaviours started before BR joined. Where our the signings we made last year and did they improve the team much?

The way I see it is we all love this club, we know something is really not right. Some blame BR, some the board, some the recruitment team. Problem is we get little information apart from whats seen on the pitch. As fans we want to know what the problem is so it can be fixed.

The state of our pitch is another example, Celtic should be the best at everything in this league and we can't even get that right. Large profits is all they care about.

BR may be part of the problem, if replaced it would just be another yes man with nothing behind him changing.

20. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Get rid and take Lawwell with him

James Mc and LectersLuncheon like this.