1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

It's 8 points...

cidermaster, ede and NomDePlum like this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If they win their games in hand...

The Phoenix likes this.
  3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    I'm not strongly disagreeing with what @Random Review is saying, just saying we are better. Sure things have narrowed, not arguing that.

What I was trying to say is think a lot of what has us top of the league currently is the quality of our team/squad. Even the squad being oversized has helped us a bit. Much more so than anything Rodgers has done so far. I still have concerns about how Rodgers has us playing, and I don't particularly enjoy his tactics, or think they are effective, when we play teams who defend in numbers, which is pretty much every team other than the Huns.

Getting rid of Beale has immediately made the Huns team, squad and tactics better, they are still not a great team at all. We've had a very mediocre window and that's not helped, but Rodgers should be doing better with the group he has too.

Today and the last few games are encouraging, but we should be so much further ahead. So just a different perspective, not really a huge difference.

Mickmac likes this.
  4. James Gold Member Gold Member

He needs to learn that Mikey Johnston can never be the answer regardless of how bare bones we are

Callum McGregor and oh bhoy like this.
  5. Big C

Yes I think he is fully aware of that…

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Love his reaction at 2.48 when asked about Calmac. Absolutely beaming.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

But as it stands its 8 not 2 as you've said

NomDePlum likes this.
  8. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I think the manager deserves some of the credit for today. Our form has been poor but he has some track record in this fixture and it was an important game with the odds against us - just like the last one. That doesn't excuse our underperformance elsewhere but credit where it's due, he got it largely right (excluding the subs from that).

I want to see from him and the board a bit of urgency now in the coming month that was missing over the summer. We need bit-part players out the door and some first-team players in. We need to do serious business and the manager should be vocal about that.

Rogicisgod likes this.
  9. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Abada and Maeda back now so I think we'll start to see considerably less of MJ.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    If not the last game ever for us for MJ, it’ll be at most his 2nd last if he gets a run against St Mirren before the break.

The games he’s played he’s played a part in the season to limp to January. When we’ve had no other option.

We had other options today, can see why he got the nod after 2 goals last week, up against a tired 10 men Huns.

And then he really, really showed why he’s not an option.

And if I’m wrong here, then I’ll kick off. I like MJ, feel bad the abuse he gets, know for a fact he’s nowhere near good enough to play for us and its not his fault that he is. If everyone at the club, outwith the fans, think he’s good enough but then we should be worried.

11. murphy88

Quality manager who has been dealt a * hand and still has us top. Give him funds in January that we all know are available.

Big C and Random Review like this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But you have to look at the question under discussion. If you are debating who will win the league, then the league as it stands is the right measure; but we were discussing whether the league table shows a big gap in quality between ourselves and the Huns.

@NomDePlum was arguing that the table shows that we are much better than the Huns. I answered that it is only a 2-point gap, let me explain why:

Firstly, I hope it is obvious why it would be a spurious argument to say that we are 8 points ahead therefore the table shows we are much better, given that we have played 2 games more.

Secondly, the Huns are averaging 2.5 points per non-old firm game this season, so straight away, that suggests that assuming they will win their games in hand is not a bad approximation.

Thirdly, they were struggling under Beale and are much better under Clement. Under him, they are averaging 2.8 points per game, making it a very close approximation indeed.

The Phoenix likes this.
  13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Go to 11 if we win game before they play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

True. However they've been bailed out over 50% of those games with penalties. A few a complete joke and shouldn't even be looked at going by VAR not looking at turnbul getting his legs broke in the box.

They started playing better the last couple games due to fake confidence. A couple missing next and at easter road. I can see another penalty or red card used to keep there pretend good run up.

NomDePlum likes this.
  15. murphy88

They kick off before us. Surprise surprise.

16. Mr Diggler

January is crucial but it is crucial in respect that if Rodgers was brought back there can be no doubt Desmond gave assurances on transfers. We seemingly lost out in the summer with players Rodgers wanted. If as rumoured he has earmarked McKenna and Miovski then he has to be backed. They wouldn't be my choices but if Brendan sees them as guys he wants then go get them. The recruitment team can then do their business in regards guys like Araujo or the Koreans we have been linked with.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    On paper we are a LOT better than them, our form just hasnt reflected that. We have players who are levels above theirs and quality that they cant match.

Butland is a better keeper than Hart and Tavernier is a better free kick taker than anything we have right now.

Thats all I believe they really have on us.

We need to add established quality. Its in our hands.

Artorias, Mickmac and NomDePlum like this.
  18. James Gold Member Gold Member

I don't want to see him again take the Arbroath approach and stick Bain out wide

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well, yeah, probably; but the point is more that we aren't as good as we should be. We're also a very mediocre team this year. From where we were last season and with the money we had available to strengthen, that just shouldn't be the case.

honda likes this.
  20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Hatate, CCV and Abada are massive * misses and I know he's not been on form since he got back in the team, but Maeda was a huge miss too.

You look at the players they have out and they were wanting most of them * binned in the previous transfer window.

-Barasic has always been rank against us and I actually thought the wee Turk was decent for them
    -Davies is an absolute bombscare and is never off the treatment table.
    -Raskin is pure bummed up by them. Half of them weren't even that impressed with him towards the back end of last season and the start of this season. He does * all for them
    -Jack is 30 going on about 65. Can barely get across the pitch and again, is never out of treatment room.
    -Danilo is probably the only one that really effects them. He is probably their best striker on paper but even some of them weren't happy about the money they paid for him.
    -Steven Davies is about 99 and never playing for them again
    -Roofe... I mean... he's got a season ticket for the private clinic down in London. * is never out of surgery.
    -Lawrence is another that's pure bummed up for them. Barely kicked a ball for them in 18 months but somehow he's the * answer to all their problems.