1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

See the 8 point lead, it has been ridiculous to lose that in such a short space of time, no doubt about it. But let’s not forget, given the run of fixtures we had in the first round of games, and with the injuries we had, our points total was also very good.

leeso-ardoyne and Pogues like this.
  2. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Transfers aside, I don't know what we work on in crosses, but the lack of movement is making things more difficult.

3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I think part of the reason Ange left was that he had seen the list of * being lined up by Lawell Jr

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Nope, but he was there so definitely a big part of the mix. Personally, I think he targeted players we couldn't get and thats part of our current problem.

If people think he had zero influence in the summer not sure why they are expecting January to be better.

Mickmac likes this.
  5. murphy88

Is that down to him targeting players who we are unable to get? Or is it down to the lack of ambition that holds us back from bringing in the player? Surely it’s down to the scouting team to identify players we can get and then down to Rodgers to choose who he wants? If our scoring team couldn’t improve on the likes of Taylor and Hart, we have major problems.

I don’t think he had no say at all. There were a couple of players I’d say he made a call on. If anyone thinks the likes of Yang, Kwon and Tilio weren’t coming here under Ange, Rodgers or anyone else though is naive at the very best.

James Mc and Ryanm1984 like this.
  6. henriks tongue

If you look back at August 2023 BR interviews, he states he 'coaches what he's given' and had not made any 'pre-contract demands' was a huge red flag, given we all expected him to be very firmly laying down the law from the get go give the way he left previously, citing lack of support.
    That early interview first planted the 'going through the motions' seed, not just Sutton comments more recently - his apathetic demeanour and low team energy also support that assumption.
    His tune finally changed at last AGM, he now says he has final say on all recruitment and is demanding first team quality.
    That need for quality was abundantly clear before July and highlighted continually by Ange and then worsened with quality departures and a few injuries, so why couldn't BR and others see it and react to it then?
    Now BR is now in full 'its not my fault' mode publicly making belated demands and occasionally criticising players, dropping (relatively) expensive new signings out of the squad entirely.
    Asleep at wheel, sadly, is once again the right phrase not only for BR but the club.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  7. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Aye exactly, surely there are better Celtic teams in the past that'd have dropped more points with that run of games. You could argue that that is because the league/competition is generally poorer than previous years but still, was a great set of results.

8. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Haha sorry :)

kramer1 and Ryanm1984 like this.
  9. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Haha i never thought of that

10. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I would be curious to see what these players would have been like under Ange had he stayed...?

11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Or Maresca who Lawwell Jr wanted

Jordan MacGregor likes this.
  12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Was hungover as * at league cup semi final last season, heid absolutely bursting and * behind me must of shouted it at least 30 times for no reason. Hated it ever since

Jordan MacGregor likes this.
  13. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Heading into the game against Rangers, the dynamics of confidence are pivotal in this clash. As reigning champions defending our title, the players can draw confidence from our past victory against them and the fact that we are playing at home. However, the current season hasn't seen Parkhead as an impenetrable fortress, with a recent loss to Hearts and a draw with Motherwell.

The historical success is tempered by a different manager and some arguing for a stronger squad in the past. Assessing confidence involves considering how much Brendan Rodgers transfers his positive influence onto the squad. While his press conferences may not be as captivating as his predecessor's, I personally feel like nodding off when Rodgers talks, the team's past success under him cannot be overlooked.

On the other side of the city, Rangers ride high on recent European success, aiming to climb to the top of the domestic league. The impact of the new manager adds an element of unpredictability. Questions linger about whether their previous struggles were due to a lackluster team or poor managerial decisions.

The importance of winning cannot be overstated, as it significantly influences the confidence of both teams. As the clock ticks toward the bells, the outcome will determine who welcomes the New Year with a dram and a smile, and who finds solace in their sorrows – whether it's Clement or Rodgers.

14. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Aye it’s such an important game. I don’t think Rodgers has helped when he’s publicly blasted them because that’s what Lennon did and look how that ended up. However, if the Euro performances (key word) are anything to go by, the players have turned up for the bigger games. On paper there’s no reason we can’t pump the but they’ll have to be up for it.

15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    My take on it is he was sold a lie about this wonderful new recruitment model. Most fans at the time of his reappointment were concerned about his own poor recruitment during his previous spell so we're actually quite pleased with his comments at the time about Lawwell and coaching what gee given.
    I think what has happened since is that Rodgers like most of the supporters has realised that Lawell Jr is as much of an incompetent * as his da is and that his eye for a player is horrific and Rodgers has now had to go to Desmond and say no this isn't gonna work and I need more control over transfers hence his comments at AGM.

Whether that is what has actually happened or is actually gonna make things any better will be found out in January altho links with Scott McKenna and yet another player from the Korean league don't fill me with hope for either case

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He was never staying when he was being offered the Spurs job, regardless of who we were targeting.

17. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Anyone else see that he’s on a bookies list of favourites to take over from Howe at newcastle? Highly doubt they’d be in for him tbh

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Saw it reported on the BBC Scottish Football site.

I guess Elite managers are few and far between

:BR1:

NakamuraTastic, Crilly and Artorias like this.
  19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Another £9m? Cya :56:

20. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    My brother is a Newcastle fan, and his mate that lives in Newcastle is saying its all but a done deal for Rodgers to go to Newcastle. I cant see it

NakamuraTastic likes this.