1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. calmac23

I think the opposite to be honest. I reckon a lot will go, some who are key players and a lot of dead wood. Then I think we’ll spend a lot of money on new signings, but admittedly reckon half of them will be total flops.

2. Tomas

Don't you just love the speculation. However there are so many doom and gloom merchants, always trying to point out our failings. I sometimes wonder how we've won so much this century. Please don't give me, but,but europe. European football is just a few good nights out, our bread and butter is domestic success.

3. celtic warrior

So my revised list of what I think would be such a Celtic thing to do in this window would be.

Lukas Jensen GK signed from Lincoln

Tanganga and Sessegnon signed on frees at big financial risk because board think Sessegnon would likely sell shirts

Bernardo and Idah signed as out marquees because they will no doubt have a huge marketing run for their returns.

Then some random punts around £2mill mark to cover CM and a LW.

RW sees no signings until January

4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Could do a lot worse than Tanganga. Sessegnon is too injury prone but in terms of his ability, it would have been a no brainer.

Never heard of Jensen and don't really follow Lincoln. Bernardo signing for £3.5m fills the midfield void he would have left. We would still need another midfielder to replace O'Riley. I think Idah would be a good signing but we need to make sure we don't get held to ransom and we don't leave it too late.

Don't care how much a player costs, as long as they're good. That's where good scouting comes into play.

5. KEANO1

We won’t make any signing of intent until Matt Orielly is sold.

Could easily see us spending 15-20 million on players that wouldn’t move us on any from where we are this year. Idah & Bernardo won’t get much change from 10m. Throw in Miovski 4m+ and a goal keeper, that’s the money spent.

Converting loans is important and their contribution was key to us winning this season but would still leave us with no improvement on what we have here already.

We won’t spend silly money, the total spend to fill all the positions we need is somewhere that we can’t get to.

6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Why would we sign Miovski if we sign Idah

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rodgers always has had 3 Strikers everywhere he has been.

We won't get miovski Aberdeen want £7m

KEANO1 likes this.
  8. KEANO1

5.5m would get the deal done for Mivoski I’d suggest and he’s worth it too.

Not sure what long term plans are for Kyogo either can see him in and out of the team next year.

Even more reason for addition of Miovski as well as Idah.

9. Sgt Neppers*

Our NET spend should be around £30m this summer.

The positions identified as needing upgraded, have been very long standing ones. By this stage last year, Rodgers wasn't far off coming in and a few signings were well down the line.

If we've learned anything amd this is the starting point from where Rodgers is judged on his transfers, things should be moving well.

Lack of heads of scouting and recruitment are major worries. We won't get away with another summer like last years.

Crilly likes this.
  10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    If we had a net spend of 30m and we got it right we would leave them behind for good . Sell an asset every summer and move in more quality . MOR this summer , CC V in a year or 2 , Hatate will go for good money before his contract is out. Palma , Idah , Bernardo all young with big potential . Financially we should be set for a long time , it's all about getting the recruitment right .

Sgt Neppers* and Crilly like this.
  11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Only in his 2nd season has he had 3 strikers here that I can remember, pretty much 1 at one point during his 3rd.

HoopyT likes this.
  12. henriks tongue

Budget should be £30M on top of what we bring in.
    So MoR and some of our deadwood goes for around £35M then net £65M Inc wages.
    Still leaves us £60M plus in the bank.

Never happen, but I can dream :BR1:

Edit - just read posts above, at least we agree! @Sgt Neppers*

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Expectations are in the * toilet, and that's where they're staying.

Frankly, that's where everyone else's should be too. How many times have we expected a tiny bit of ambition, a bit of daring and guile in the market, to make European football something to look forward to, rather than something to dread. To finally bury those * across the city, and leave them as guaranteed also rans for the next decade? It never happens. This window will be no different.

I expect a ZERO net window, as in, MoR will be sold off, with a few others, and the balance of their sales will be used to supplement the squad, not improve it.

Then come the AGM we'll get lectured by the * about how much they "invested" in the playing squad.

Keep your expectations low hoops. Don't go thinking we're spending 30-40m for a new look squad to compete in Europe.
    We're getting a window which the board will deem "satisfactory" to win the league by a * hair. Nothing more.

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I could not give a * about what our net spend is. Find good players and bring them home is all that matters.
    Too many folk are getting hung up on numbers imo.

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye that's why he wants 3 for the coming season.

16. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Makes sense aswell to have 3 you can rely on! Go with 2 you're an injury away from having no one to change it up when needed in games. Especially with the extra games in Europe need to not run anyone into the ground.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maeda is a striker for Japan NT.

18. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Many games he play there last season? He's far more effective as a winger love the guy but half the time his finishing is terrible.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  19. James Gold Member Gold Member

We find ourselves waiting on the window opening expecting us to splash the cash and spend big to strengthen from a place of strength

Deja vu all over again

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    but who is going to sit and be 3rd choice at Celtic. That's why you have Maeda as 3rd choice.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.