1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I wondered that as well, as in it drove me mental all game. :84:

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He plays fine as well on the ball, although I feel the same as you like you are waiting for him to mis control it or lose it all the time as he's not a slick technical footballer. You are expecting bad touches or for it to bounce off him but it never actually happens.

You are always awaiting a mistake from passing from the back or him being caught on a ball.

He's a wee bit like CCV in that, not class footballers but they rarely actually make a mistake and are well controlled on the ball I think even though I don't trust them as much as guys like Taylor, Jurnanovic even Starfelt who are sharper and look more in control.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Started after Van Veen bullied Taylor last season. Him or Johnston now always hang back at corners.

Would 100% have Ralston involved at corners and similar. Always a threat.

4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye one of the few pass marks.

No issue with him being our back-up RB, but it's sad when he's arguably better than our first choice this season.

limezer likes this.
  5. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He's in an almost impossible position, with the lack of communication back there. He is the closest thing we have to a leader in that defence.

RabS likes this.
  6. James Gold Member Gold Member

I thought he was absolutely murder in the 2nd half constantly putting us under pressure or turning in to trouble

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye

That 2 minute period where him, Welsh, Scales and Hart were trying to play out from the back was brutal. None of them look remotely comfortable with a ball at their feet.

James likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And O’Riley, who got the ball beyond the press twice, turned around, passed it to Ralston under pressure, who passes to Welsh under pressure, who passes to Hart under pressure. Until eventually Ralston ran to CB and smashed the ball to McGregor beyond the press. Which was also dodgy as * but it worked.

7 months of BR coaching the play it out the back to beat the press that. Masterclass.

And 3/4 * times btw, Harts rushed out to punt it to a winger to start a counter, slipped, scuffed it and its went either out or to somecunt whos no in a Celtic strip. 2/3 games in a row

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’d be my first choice RB for rest of the season.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Watching the goals back there and it highlights a problem I've mentioned a couple of times with Ralston. He just stands with his hands behind his back and watches their player cross the ball in. It's baffling.

He's absolutely murder at stopping crosses.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Seems to be a modern full back thing and I * hate it. Aye in the box maybe, but on the wing, * close the ball down stop it from the source.

Ralston’s majorly over corrected with that as well, because he used to just throw a tackle, his body, the wall he’s building and everything else possible trying to stop the cross, but too much, was easy to just move the ball and he’d fly by.

He needs the middle ground between that * hands behind the back, five yards away, and aimlessly hop pretending ye can head the ball that seems popular these days and diving in shitely and either wiping * out or winning it a belter that looks amazing and a * cheer at but it’s 50/50 when it works or no.

just close the man down, close the angle, push them towards the touchline or byline

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Everytime he comes back in and has a couple games to build up a head of steam and bit of form, and shows that he can do something like the assist he done today - every time it’s happened, *, sometimes the same exact *, are surprised he has that ability in him.

His passing ability is underrated as *, it’s like people overlook that he does * like that all the time because he’s a big trier, wins 50/50’s, the bricky patter around him.

He keeps his spot because he’s the most creative and dangerous fullback that we have right now. And that ball for Kyogo will be largely forgotten about because how the * the game finished and us being weak as * mentally once again

bhroom likes this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If he hadn't played today good chance we'd have lost.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye cos we were lucky not to anyway mate. First half I thought he was excellent, not just the quality for the goal, he picked up every 2nd ball that went near him and was driving us forward. After the break, and the change of shape again, and Taylor going off he was a bit lost.

Not the only one, changes * the things we were doing positively, * the balance, left too many gaps and players were left confused about if they push forward or drop back, if they cover space (and there was so much space between our players) or do they stick rigid to their own role. And then in a 45 minute period he’s trying to link up with the guy infront of him, that at various times was Maeda, Yang and Kuhn.

O’Riley ended up high up that wing last ten minutes or so, when to guard the 1-0 lead, and this must be tactical this - we desserted our midfield pushing two of them to wings, we push out DM controlling midfielder forward, and we keep 4 defenders flat at the back.

Honestly, I don’t want to know if that was genuine tactics or if our manager has such a lack of grip on what the team does on the pitch that players have lost shape and wandered somewhere that they shouldn’t be that he can’t do a thing to stop them from doing it. I don’t know what prospect is worse

15. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Always think it meself he’s so slow to get out to block crosses, gives them far too much space. Bernabei was dreadful for their goal. Powderpuff midget

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just noticed this on the replay too. Why he didn't at least close the player down to try and stop the cross is mental.

Crilly likes this.
  17. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He's actually had two decent performances at left back.

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Ralberto Carlos

Wllm, Mr Shelby and NomDePlum like this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Obviously struggles to cross from that side but thought his his diagonal balls into the box and distribution was good.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I like him.

He is what he is. Hard working, tough *.