1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    He’s one of us and he’s got a contract we can all dream of

2. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Smart move by the club, ticks lots of boxes.

Tommy25, Hammy89, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

4. saltire78

One thing you can never question is that he'll give us 100%... when it's grim, mid-winter and we need someone to grind something out he's a good lad to have onboard... and he hates the Huns, passionately... those 2 things are enough for me to overlook that we could get better in, and remember he's perfectly adequate for 90% of what we need him for

Tommy25, Hammy89 and Ryanm1984 like this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think it's a good decision for us; surprised he doesn't want to go somewhere he'll get more game time, though. For us, he'll only ever be a backup. No doubt, someone will point out that the money in the SPL is rubbish; but I still don't get it.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  6. CountyDownFaithful

Chuffed for him.

Have criticised him previously but I do think he’s improved massively since Ange came in.

We can certainly count on him to put 100% in every time he pulls on the jersey.

Tommy25 and BhoyFitz like this.
  7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Superb big Tony bhoy.

8. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song
    You’ve got to admire him, even if he lacks a bit of quality at times. Give his all, living the dream - fair play.

Guchi Gucci and Hammy89 like this.
  9. stevoEOS

I think a lot of people (including myself) would rather be 2nd choice at the club you love on a really good wage knowing you’ll at least get some game time over the course of the season vs. being 1st choice at some mediocre side where you’ll never have a chance of winning anything. His family will be settled up here as well.

10. celtic warrior

Can't fault him for taking the deal.

11. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    It would be great to have a couple of world class right backs, say Trent Alexander-Arnold and Dani Carvajal fighting for the same position, but we are in the SPL not some EA Games simulator- but Ralston 100% is great to see and when needed he comes through.....something that I love about Ralston is that he does come across a little like a football fan living the dream we all fantasise about....also in my slightly twisted mind, I like the idea of a guy who I believe would pile in for a square go.....

saltire78 likes this.
  12. john2061

No problem Ralston getting a new deal and understand because of the Scottish quota but * sake giving Bain a new deal because he's Scottish there must be a Scottish keeper better than Bain we could sign and * forbid Hart was to get a long term injury as we are * then .

13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Delighted for him, wears his heart on his sleeve. Never hides, ideal back up for AJ, low dollar back up player who can be relied upon to do a job when called upon.

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    aww, look at that hair

NomDePlum and stew37 like this.
  16. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Yeah,happy for him.He plays with the passion of a supporter.
    That passion radiates out to others in the squad.HH

bhroom and buchanbhoy like this.
  17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

18. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I still remember when he came in as an emergency right back against Barca in the Champions League. He was only about 17/18 and Neymar absolutely tore him a new * for the whole game. I didnt think then that he would still be here now all those years on and for him to be a steady squad player that we can rely on to do a job. Fair play to the guy.

19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Anthony Ralston lifts lid on fight to get where he is at Celtic - 'I never gave up'
    “Hometown discount” is a phrase used commonly throughout American sports to describe those players who agree contract extensions below their market value simply because they’re eager to stay with their local club.

Anthony Ralston claims not to have been privy to the negotiations that took place between Celtic and his representatives prior to him penning his latest deal but, given his well-known and long-standing affiliation with the club, it’s difficult to imagine his agent trying to play hardball without being laughed out of the room.

Still, it speaks volumes both for Ralston’s consistency and improvement as a player that Celtic were willing to hand him a new four-year contract that will extend his attachment with the club, should he stay until the end of it, to 20 years, man and boy. Now 24 years old and a new father to daughter, Mila, there is an earnest gratitude about this week’s development and an admission that there was a time when he feared his long-term future might need to be forged elsewhere.

It’s a proud moment for myself, my family and everyone involved,” he said. “It’s good to try and take these moments in because they don’t come around all the time. As everyone has in their career, there have been difficult moments. When I was slightly younger there was a period of time when I did think things weren’t going the way I’d have wanted here

But I never gave up the fight and the people I’ve had around me – my family and my biggest motivation being my little girl coming along – have supported me. There are life things that happen and circumstances that give you that extra motivation and fight.

“I look back at those times then and it was worth the fight so I’m delighted. I’m a Celtic fan and come from a Celtic family. I used to go to all the games with my uncle and was a ball boy at all the games after that. It’s crazy to think that way now, being a player, but looking back they’re great memories and it’s more special being here as a Celtic fan

Dressing rooms are increasingly cosmopolitan places these days and there will be more languages spoken inside the Celtic one these days than the Tower of Babel. Manager Brendan Rodgers, however, recently acknowledged the importance of his squad retaining a Scottish core and Ralston is happy to join others like Callum McGregor and Greg Taylor in relaying the club’s values to the incomers.

“For the boys coming in from different backgrounds, they have to quickly understand what it’s like here, and the demands and the success that the club wants,” added the full-back. “They can see that through the likes of myself, Callum, Greg and others. I do my best to speak to the new boys and welcome them to the club. If players are coming here and moving away from their families, or even if their families are making the move with them, it can be difficult. You just try to help them settle in as best as possible as someone from around here who has got his family here. So myself, Callum and Greg have all tried to help them as much as we can.”

Celtic travel to Motherwell for the Saturday lunchtime kick-off with Ralston believing the team is now starting to gel after a sticky start. “You can see over the past few results and the way the team has performed that we are in a good place,” he added. “That was going to take a bit of time with new boys coming in.”

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Great to see him extend. Been a key player in the last few seasons. RB position is solid just now.