1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Aah...that's disappointing.

Ange69 likes this.
  2. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I have to say I am feeling a bit of positivity with the people vouching for him. The indignation from the Australians also is encouraging. It is just such a gut punch and he will have unreal pressure.

3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Thanks for posting that, it’s a great listen. One of those guys pumping up Ange was the same bloke who was giving it to Ange, in the interview posted here earlier, about the Australian youth football. The fella that was waxing lyrical about him was former EPL(Sunderland & Leeds) striker Michael Bridges.

Also wanted to add, listening to this interview, the Celtic CEO being from City Group and his son being a scout there, I can imagine there will be some leaning on the City Group to get the right type of players in.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  4. VT8

All very fair concerns mate.

Just my thoughts
    - He has definitely experienced low blocks in his time at Brisbane Roar which at first he definitely struggled with but over time adjusted and I think also experienced it at Yokohama. Obviously different ball game at Celtic though.
    - If Ange is to fail, I think it would be due to time which I would imagine wouldn't be afforded at Celtic. His teams tend to have a bit of a feeling out process. Happened in the first 6 months at Brisbane and the first year at Yokohama before they reaped the benefits.
    - Defensively, can't argue with this one , definitely not his strong suit but tries to make up in his attacking philosophy.
    - I think he'll bring a couple coaches but will definitely work with the current coaches at the club.
    - Transfer wise, I'd imagine the DOF would handle all of that otherwise yes that would be another concern.

5. Mr Cleansheets

Aren't you the guy that keeps saying Asian football is way below Scotland?

Time to accept that Asian football has improved out of sight in the last 20 years and Ange has actually won the best league in Asia.

The only issue is whether the existing culture at Celtic will accept him and he will accept them.

Man's a * football genius.

6. VT8

Hahaha fair enough

7. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    This is 100% fed from the club as they don't want to be seen as what they are - moronic amateurs.

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    craigtheceltic and JC Anton like this.
  9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This is my biggest reservation too.

With Howe it was obvious he had the upper hand with negotiations, hence the three * month wait, to see if he could bring his spice boys to the party.

With Postecoglu, it most certainly will not be the same.
    An appointment like this is not only a matter of national pride for the Australian game, but a door opener for Postecoglu in terms of European markets.... if he succeeds.

He will know this. And as prickly or independently minded as he is, he's not going to turn down the gig because the board want super spy Lennedy in place for reportage.
    In fact, it would probably be very easy to convince Ange that's it's a good idea, a la Deila. This guy will get you grounded. This guy knows the media. This guy knows the other managers and their tactics.

It will be hard for alot of Celtic fans, including myself, to get behind the manager when we can still see the ghosts of regimes past, lurking about behind the him, stealing a wage and silently undermining his independence from the board.

I have a small slither of hope, that given this guy's intolerance for BS, he will quickly identify Lennedy as an imposter, and shunt him off to the side.

On another note, I'm growing more in favour of this appointment. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he pins Christie against the lockers and breathes into his ear, "If you take one more pot * outside the box, I'm gonna break your daddy's legs."

I'm also looking forward to watching his pressers and calling out the double standards in the media lol.

He's tactically astute, single minded in standards, fitness and diet orientated, and most importantly doesn't play favourites.

If that's not a massive step up from Lennon, I don't know what is.

I'd rather have a number of alternatives, Martinez and Maloney, or even Maloney himself.
    But I've no problem giving him the time I was going to give Howe (a season) to see if he can do the job or not.

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Was going to say that yesterday when I saw it.. shameless.

ede and We named the dog Indiana like this.
  11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    also... from the board perspective, we're gonna shift a * load of shirts in Australia.

Sneaky * lol

craigtheceltic likes this.
  12. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Tracked for months but not interviewed

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Even if you could get on board with this appointment, which I’m really really struggling to do, the fact is he’s going to have a John Kennedy and Gavin Strachan team around him who are simply not wanted at the football club by the fans. The whole Kennedy thing is * me off more than the appointment of this guy to be honest.

Dublin Celt, Peej and ede like this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If Howe didn't take the job because some of his backroom staff didn't want to make the move North, was he ever that committed to taking the role..

Hopefully Postecoglou will bring a different level of commitment and not just use us as a stepping stone to the EPL..

Most of us know nothing about him but seems highly regarded by those who do.

15. joemc

Wow a glowing report for someone u don't particularly like , maybe there is hope .

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. dmccourt95

Even if this guy was a genius he’s handicapped by the board lumbering him with a * patchwork coaching setup and a * patchwork team

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    No we won't mate.. Didn't we try a link up with some team down there before? A few years back now..

19. VT8

This was Ange at rock bottom in the second video, everyone in Australian football wrote him off but came back strong after a few years.

20. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    *. Me. Sideways.

This is a depressing bank holiday weekend.

Sgt Neppers*, ede and Bobo_ like this.