1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Cant wait untill tomorrow to see what fresh banter the Celtic board have brought us..

MagicBallBhoy, ede, Noskeil and 2 others like this.
  2. SuperZidane

He inherited a team that had already qualified for the 2014 world cup where they lost all 3 games.

In 2018 qualifying - they topped an initial group containing Jordan, Krygyzstan, Tajikstan, Bangladesh

They finished 3rd behind Japan and Saudi Arabia in the next group.

They beat Syria 3-2 aet over 2 legs before beating Honduras 3-1 over 2 legs.

He then walked away from the job.

Australia also qualified for the 2006 and 2010 World Cups and currently head their 2022 qualifying group with 4 wins out of 4

I don't think his world cup record is as impressive as your trite one liner implies.

Mr Shelby and AdamRS like this.
  3. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Oh so we are not allowed to support celtic because of an aussie connection.you are as bad as them geordie *

4. oh bhoy

you are 100% right .austrailians are not allowed to support celtic,i dont make the laws so dont blame me

5. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Tbh if Aussie fans have come on the site due to an Aussie manager, who most of us know little about and give their tuppence about what to expect I’d hardly call that influencing people’s mind. If always said that some of our fans are spoilt, what your saying right now kinda sums that up.

Im not sure you realise we as a club are a minnows in an ocean, we’ve not got the pull we once had, there are bigger and better leagues out there and that’s where the major issues start. A. no one of stature wants to play in the SPFL, B no one of stature wants to play in Scotland, that lowers the recruitment pool straight away. Then our funds, who can we afford, then wages can we pay that too. Aye we’re a huge club, but we play in a climate where loads of factors hamper recruitment and pull. This hasn’t been short in coming, every year we slide further away from what we once were, it’s time some of our fanbase realise this.

The big Viduka likes this.
  6. marty89

This Ange guy comes across really well in interviews, even in the Craig Foster interview he came across as articulate, knowledgeable and unwavering as he seems to always do. Not as classy as Rodgers.

It is also quite obvious that he has a clear vision of what he wants from his team's, how he wants them to play and train, what type of character he needs which sound like a great fit for the club and anecdotally he seems very happy to wrecking ball things and go fresh which is exactly what we need right now.

Given the options of the likes of Maloney or Keane, I personally would need to see a MoN type in the DOF as support role but I think that tells me I don't want *them* as a bonafide manager in the first place which is what we need.

Compared to Howe I think him and Ange are the exact same in terms of what they will bring to the club, a firm philosophy, a new setup for a new cycle and hopefully another decade of silverware, a foundation that can be built on. But of course what you have to concede is that Howe absolutely smashes Ange in the PR department as the English never bash their own abroad which we are to them in terms of football and the Scottish media are . . . . the Scottish football media. Also, of course, knowledge of British football however that can be bridged with a DOF.

I honestly don't see him as the candidate people are making him out to be, I don't think he is a massive step down from Howe in terms of what he would bring to the club.

Here is honours lists
    for comparison;

Screenshot_20210601_003005.jpg Screenshot_20210601_003019.jpg

Screenshot_20210601_003059.jpg

With his crowning achievement not being his admittedly great 14/15 season but, as in the words of Wikipedia: 'Bournemouth survived in the Premier League for five seasons under Howe, before suffering relegation to the Championship in 2020. He resigned as manager of Bournemouth after the club's relegation.'.
    I personally don't think we need a survivor and Howe would have to adapt to being a winner rather than an underdog (thing Taverniers comment).

Maybe Prem fanboys just have the Sky tinted specs on a little. You know why he won LMA manager of the decade? Coz he stayed there so long from not winning back to back promos.

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    One of the Best Celtic Supporters Clubs I was ever in was the one in Perth.. place was hoping for games..

GreenLeanMean and The big Viduka like this.
  8. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Lol At least i can spell boy correctly.
    I might be of catholic irish heritage ,so therefore i have all my badges required.same as big angelo.dont be embarrassed becuase an Aussie is going to fix the mess.they dont
    Call it the world game for no reason
    It is all good fun
    :yeltongue

Scubaroo likes this.
  9. marty89

"He then walked away from the job."

:lenny1:

10. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Yeah thats right, a lot of big supporters clubs in oz thats for sure.I recall reading about the Perth Celtic fAnbase years ago

11. SuperZidane

I think it's a 2 way street mate.

There are certainly some ill-informed and possibly snobbish comments on here about Ange.

On the other side, there are some trying to have a go at anyone who dares to question his suitability.

For what its worth, I think he's too big a risk for Celtic at this point. I also have a degree of sympathy for him as this job is something of a poison chalice at the moment.

He's clearly far from stupid - he must know that many Celtic fans (including myself) would not be happy with his appointment and he simply has to accept that.

If he is the man, I'll get behind him and obviously want him to be successful.

However, if we get to Christmas and things are no better than they were last year - out of Europe, a fair bit behind the Huns - then he'll be feeling the heat.

Clearly I hope that's not the case but, in the real world, that's the way it is and I hope that Ange is fully aware of that.

12. oh bhoy

no problem with anyone having an opinion when two of them almost similtanously gleefully say how eddy howe * us over makes me question their motives. are you seriously saying im a spoiled because after refusing to get rid of lennon until he had * the 10 then a further 1/4 of a year wait this is what they come up with in terms of a replacement.the rest of the woe is us stuff doesnt wash when we are selling players for tens of millions

13. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    No, but you come across as a manager snob, dinny kin much about Ange but already not good enough. Bet your Howe backups would have been folk like Conte, Zidane, Silva, Martinez etc. Your saying this guys not good enough for Celtic, what your not understanding is he’s exactly Celtics standard (that’s no disrespect to either club or manager) we don’t have the pull we did in yesteryear. If he’s not good enough he’ll get sacked we won’t be in any worse a state we are in right now. Because atm it’s beyond beyond * up.

14. SuperZidane

It certainly is * up at the moment but I don't necessarily agree that it won't get worse. I'm not in favour of appointing Ange but, if we do, I'll get behind him.

My concern is our joke of a board. Obviously I want the club to do well but, if it doesn't work out under Ange, I'm worried that they will persist with him anyway as they won't want to admit to the fans that they got it wrong.

Noskeil likes this.
  15. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Im a believer in you have to start somewhere, we need fresh ideas and a builder, not mercenaries or tactical dinosaurs.

I’m trying to be positive about it, * our season has been as miserable as it could get. Until he proves either way I’ll support him, much like both times Lennon was manager, wasn’t happy either time but supported him until it was clear to see he wasn’t up to the job.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We don't have the same pull as we did in the past but anyone who tries to tell me this is the best we can do is talking nonsense.

A guy who has never managed in Europe and finished 9th in Japan.

I'm sure he has talent but for me it's a major concern this is what we are targeting and I don't think people can sugar coat it any other way. It screams panic signing. The managerial equivalent of a 31st January loan signing.

For me it's not so much about having a go at the guy himself, not as if he's going to turn down this opportunity. It's the people who are making the decisions that are really frustrating me here.

His CV is not one which I feel.should be considered for the celtic job at this stage in time. And nothing will change my opinion on that.

If he comes in and is a success I'll happily eat my words. But I'm not going to sit on the fence right now just so I can potentially come back in 12 months and say I told you so. Which I think many will be tempted to do and try and convince themselves we are doing the right thing here.

17. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Everyone is right to be sceptical, this guy is s complete unknown to most of us, managing in a region where only a few countries consider football a top sport. But if he joins I will support him, i am not saying he will fail or succeed just that It is a bit of a shot in the dark and will reserve judgement, what is clear though is this guy is the cheap and easy option for the incompetent board.

18. oh bhoy

we dont have the pull of yesteryear because we keep hiring managers who cant get past the pish we meet in champions league qualifiers .im sick of taking cheap punts on managers when its obvious the difference a good one makes.

19. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    He did and i for one wss shattered.we still do not know why.some say bevause of the media which is absolute rubbish.others say because of fallout with FA which is possible
    because chief exec at time was a * sports admin mercanary.i think he needed to get abroad to improve coaching status.anyway we are still guessing and it was absolutely poor timing
    A friend of mine captain oz u20 side Ange coached and thinks he is a good tactitian etc etc
    I would totally disregard interview with foster as foster had his head up his *.
    What AP always promoted was that what our young players are not had proper coaching hence why they do not get to a higher level.we go ok at junior level because we are big and strong
    Get to senior level against half decent teams we get found out because technically inept.imo this is what he wanted to change.he wanted better ozxie coaches and players with better technique.
    Instead of dealing with fuckwits like foster he should be applauded

marty89 likes this.
  20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    This is the managerial equivalent of barkas, laxalt and kenny.

Last minute panic