1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    “GO ON MOI!! GO ON MOI!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRS likes this.
  2. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ange smillie added, I made a mess of the listing, apologies guys, one of the other admin might be able to fix that... but he's here and the Lenny ones are gone.

:ange:

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...ting-for-a-job-in-europe-20210702-p586f8.html

Ange Postecoglou has revealed he almost gave up waiting for an opportunity to coach in Europe because he was being judged by his passport, opening up on a series of “disheartening” talks with other clubs before finally landing the job at Celtic.

Postecoglou has thrown himself straight into work after being officially unveiled in Glasgow a week ago. He is busy scouring the transfer market for squad reinforcements with Celtic’s first match of the new season – a UEFA Champions League qualifier against Danish club FC Midtjylland – less than three weeks away.

The former Socceroos boss said he was buzzing about how many fans from across Australia had decided to “come along for the ride” and follow his trail-blazing journey in Scotland, which he acknowledged could open doors for other Aussie coaches if he is successful.

But it was hard enough for him to get his own foot in the door, despite a glittering resume which includes five domestic titles in two different countries as well as the 2015 Asian Cup, and a rock-solid reputation as one of Asia’s top coaches.

Postecoglou, 55, has long coveted a role in Europe but said other clubs he’d had discussions with were dismissive of the trophies he had won because of where he won them.

“It was just that [my] achievements were swiped away pretty easily because of the fact that they were on the other side of the world,” he said in a Zoom call with Australian media.

My achievements even in my own country weren’t valued because apparently I hadn’t coached in Europe. Hopefully this breaks a few myths

It was disheartening not from the point of view that I felt like it lessened me, it was just disheartening that you thought, ‘well, that would have been a great opportunity for me to go in and create something special again.’

“The fact that people couldn’t see past geography to do that ... I got to the point where I didn’t want to waste my time any more and think about those things. I was happy to wait for the right opportunity if it came along, and if it didn’t, I’d continue doing what I was doing until I finished.

At the same time, there was never any doubt that people were taking notice and I guess after a while, people do just look at [my] record.

“The world’s becoming a smaller place and hopefully this does show, if I happen to be successful, that clubs all around the world will start opening their mind a little bit when they’re seeing talent – whether that’s on or off the football field, they’ll look beyond just traditional markets

Postecoglou also pointed out that, paradoxically, he faced the same issues back home, where he railed against a perceived inferiority complex within Australian soccer for many years, and struggled to find a job in the A-League despite having won two NSL titles with South Melbourne until Brisbane Roar famously gave him another chance.

“I’m hoping I get to the point where people don’t look at me as an Australian coach – hopefully not even in Australia because that was as frustrating for me as any other place,” he said.

My achievements even in my own country weren’t valued because apparently I hadn’t coached in Europe. Hopefully this breaks a few myths and preconceptions about it.

I think once you tag somebody with some sort of stigma that because I’m Australian, what I’m doing is unbelievable, I think it works against everything I’ve been trying to advocate – and that is, it shouldn’t matter where you come from.”

Postecoglou declined to directly address reports linking Celtic with a move for Australian stars Mat Ryan and Aaron Mooy, but said he was on the lookout anywhere in the world for any players who would fit into his trademark style of attacking play.

He played a similarly straight bat to questions on the make-up of his backroom team, with Adelaide United assistant coach Ross Aloisi reportedly in the mix to join him in Glasgow.

Postecoglou will meet his full squad for the first time next week, when Celtic holds a training camp in Wales featuring all senior players – including the club’s Scottish representatives, who have been given extra time off after playing in the Euros.

“It’s great being here. They’re passionate about football, I’m passionate about football. Just to be here is fantastic,” Postecoglou said.

“To be fair, I’ve just done training ground-hotel for the last seven days. It’s been pretty busy. I haven’t had much of a chance to get out and about but all the people I’ve come across have been very, very encouraging.

“I’m looking forward to the key part, which is seeing our supporters at Celtic Park, because that’s the one thing people make sure I understand is going to be a special experience.”

5. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Think that’s because Lenny clearly put on weight during his time here, whereas we’ve all seen photos of Ange in previous times, and the guy has obviously lost a fair bit of weight since then.

The emphasis wasn’t on “being fat” it was on the general direction his fitness was going, which some saw as linked to the bad trajectory of things on the pitch as well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  6. JamesM09

Lennon’s “coaching” on the sidelines was the same as the coaching from anyone that would be in the stands.

Lennon was essentially just a passive supporter in the dugout. Like every supporter he had a whipping boy (Soro) and when things weren’t going well he’d go into a huff with his arms folded like every supporter would.

Honestly sometimes he would sit there arms folded and I genuinely thought he was thinking, “wish the manager would make a sub ffs”.

He never looked like a manager to me in that second spell, just the guy doing interviews and riding in the success of the team Rodgers put together. Good or bad Ange looks much more like he wants to contribute at least.

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Like a * weight watchers group in here now ha..

Lenny was a fat *..

Ange is the Great Tarrier Chief...

:ange:

8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I can't remember him on the sidelines telling players to push up, change this or that the way Rodgers would. Well the way a good manager would.

JamesM09 likes this.
  9. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I think that I like this guy. He is very highly motivated and driven to succeed. May have the potential to become a top manager. He's probably using us as a stepping stone but I will take that if he brings us a lot of success. If nothing else he's a breath of fresh air. Lenny and co were looking jaded and none of them ever displayed that kind of drive.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Sounds like Brit talk to me

Dannybhoy81 and NomDePlum like this.
  11. Sgt Neppers*

Yes Barky, good Barky. Sounds like he's walking his dog who's successfully bringing his stick back. :56:

But seriously, his desire for work ethic and commitment alone will be a major improvement on last season. We were so passive, weak and unfit it was horrible watching. Teams are gonna have to play for the full 90 to beat us. Look forward to watching us this season. No longer a pushover.

Ange does need a couple of his own coaches in now. This will aid him, the squad and our play quicker. Great content as well. Hope to see more of this. :ange:

12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    The fact you’ve labelled the mention of Ulster as “Brit Talk” is very telling indeed

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Wasn’t the Ulster bit that done it

14. AussieGreek

Welshy on pre-season training

When asked about pre-season training, he said (to the effect of): "I'm not used to that, it's been tough [...] but I've really enjoyed it."

When asked about sessions under the new manager he said: "It's been brilliant, really positive. sessions have been really high standard, very sharp, all football based. That's exactly what you want as a player."

When asked how pre-season is different with Ange compared to previous pre-season, he said: "They're a lot more short and sharp, you're not stopping, you're not hanging about, you're doing one thing and straight into the next thing. The intensity is good, the boys are working really hard to try and prove themselves. Its been a good start to the preseason."

15. Sgt Neppers*

Great to hear. Relentless work, and training. Hopefully translates in to hard to beat, good football and winning.

The Phoenix likes this.
  16. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    The mention of the undeniable historical links between Ulster and Scotland? Ok then. A Brit I am, even if my passport says otherwise :(

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I just watched the training vid with Ange's audio feed and in itself it's nothing extraordinary, but it is still night and day by comparison to the last couple of years. I also liked the fact he kept focussing on the positives, when Eddy was through and fluffed his shot it wasn't "FFS Eddy" (I said that for Ange), instead it was "good save Barky". A seemingly minor thing but that's the kind of small detail that is important when trying to get buy in to his ideas from everyone.

Peej likes this.
  18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

His comments regarding Griffiths are interesting. Very much seems he wants to get the best out of him and let him leave the club on a high. You can tell he won’t take any * or * about from him though. Probably won’t be anything past this year either.

19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

My claim to TC fame.

@Marty McFly would be proud

Marie, trackebhoy and NomDePlum like this.
  20. Barry Robson

Watched that yesterday and it was very good. I like his idea of how he wants us to play. Especially the we never stop, even if not involved be ready and looking for that next pass when it does come
    and when we lose the ball win it back sharp. The final pass and goal of the clip was superb aswell. Big diagonal switch, touch to control and fine finish