1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    That KDS forum is a disgrace. Did you see the pages dedicated to how racist Australia is and our treatment of Aborigines? Even the admin called it out and deleted it.

2. Scubaroo

Arthur Pappas won't be joining Ange as assistant, he's just been named as Newcastle Jets manager.
    Rumour is that Muscat is being sounded out for the Yokohama job so that would be him out. (Even though he was never coming)

Hutchinson, Ontong seem the only obvious ones now, and there was a rumour early of Josep Gombau, he's working in the US atm.

The big Viduka likes this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

I think there's a reasonable chance Hutchinson will be involved. Really hope so because he's an outstandingly good trainer and footballers tend to love him.

Footballers tend to fear Ange so it's good to have that balance.

Of course I say this in the naive expectation that footballers in the SPL will be more or less the same as footballers everywhere. I've said all along that my biggest fear for Ange is that he's never dealt with the player/agent games playing and cynicism that you hear about in Europe. He'll try to rise above all that by having only players and staff that are committed to the Ange journey but I suspect he won't find it as easy to generate and maintain that common ethos at Celtic as he always has elsewhere in salary capped leagues and national teams.

The big Viduka likes this.
  4. SuperZidane

Is that Hutchinson who played for Central Coast Mariners?

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. Mr Cleansheets

Yes, captained them for a couple of seasons - would've been Rogic's captain when Mariners won teh league in 2013.

I went to a train the trainers session with him a couple of years later when he was Walmsley's asst at the Mariners and was knocked out by his ideas and energy. Wasn't at all surprised when Ange invited him to Yokohama.

craigtheceltic and SuperZidane like this.
  6. SuperZidane

Thanks for that - like most of this forum, I don't care for Kennedy and Strachan but lets see what Ange makes of them.

As he brought Hutchinson to Japan and obviously trusts him, I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least try to bring him in should he decide he wants to add to/or replace the current coaches.

7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    You were busy trolling us Aussies with Ryan McGowan to Celtic. Your only mistake was picking someone so pish :56::56::56:

TBF to @thailandceltic, they were one of the first to come around to the idea of Ange as manager :50:

8. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    This is it for me.

As for his preferred style of play, it´s all about which players leaving and coming in respectively.
    The squad is in desperate need of major overhaul, he needs backing the size we haven´t seen for years.
    He can only operate with what he´s got.

Too many unknown factors at the moment.

TonyTim likes this.
  9. oh bhoy

ange talking about how his way of playing has brought him success everywhere he went is a major concern.ive heard him say playing his style is more important than the win (as his style will eventually bring success).he is gonna learn very quickly that the win is all that matters here .his style may be alright when we are massive favourites for the win anyway but when we are up against it ( not only in europe but in scotland) he cant be that wedded to his idea of playing he needs more than one stratedgy

10. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

That's almost the exact opposite of what he said in his first press conference if you go back and watch it. He said he plays the way he does not because of some ideology about how football should be played, but because it brings him success.

AussieGreek likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    This is pretty much what I have been saying, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the win is all that matters, it is however definitely the priority, especially if he wants to keep the fans on his side. Whether it is fair or not, and it definitely isn't in my opinion, I don't think he is going to get as much leeway from the fans as Howe would have received if things aren't going well, simply because many didn't want him in the first place.

I fear he isn't going to get the time here to do things his normal way, especially after the Lenny debacle. If things aren't going to plan and the fans are screaming for his head the board are going to be under intense pressure to replace him quickly, simply because they failed to act until it was far far too late with Lenny and they know they have little goodwill left, they'll see it as self preservation. Hopefully he gets off to a great start though and none of that comes to pass.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's no gonna * you pal :giggle1:

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Who's this * :lenny1:

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Change of focus . I am putting my hand up for Harry Souttar to come to the Celtic squad from Stoke City. Why you ask ? He is a Scot, 22 years old, a central defender, 1.98m in height, a ball player, and worth a goal a game for his team . He is absolutely deadly at corners and set pieces with his heading ability. He has played 5 senior games for the Australian national team and has scored 6 goals so far. Has massive potential for further growth as a player.

16. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Sorry to tread on your turf :93: :84:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    He's abysmal :56:

cas79 and Noskeil like this.
  18. Mr Cleansheets

Still not sure about Souttar.

Admittedly, I've not seen him play for Stoke (where I gather he's done well), but I've only seen him play for Australia against lesser opposition. He has a phenomenal scoring record but his main job is defending and I've not seen him tested yet. I wonder if he's fast enough?

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I would like to hear from others also on this forum. There must be at least 5 players at a minimum in the SPL that Celtic fans admire and would be happy to see them playing for Celtic. Who would you like to see playing at Celtic Park ?