1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

I know mate people need to remember the time difference.

2. JamesM09

I don’t think Lennon really took the training sessions to be fair. He may have been there but not the one running the show.

I’m fairly sure MON never took training sessions. I think a few former players said he would turn up on Friday and cast an eye over them and make sure they all had a good session, or something like that.

Different managers take different approaches to training. I think Rodgers started as a coach so was much more comfortable running a training session.

NomDePlum and King of Kings like this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinly what is a manager for if they don't take sessions.

4. JamesM09

Aye it’s not a style I’m too fond of to be honest.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think taking training is really the most important element of managing a club. Turning up once a week is a bit of a * take, but if you recognise that leading a training session isn’t one of your strengths, and employ coaching staff who can take it instead of you, to me that’s good management.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I would say its one of the most important elements. You have an idea of how to play. To get that across you need sessions working on it. No wonder lennon played hoofball.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  7. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    We will have Kennedy an Strachan for training sessions so it's all good

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Tbf to MON that was 20 years ago. If Lennon was doing the same thats a total joke

honda likes this.
  9. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    The J League, and Asian players as a whole, are not noted defenders.

AussieGreek likes this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You can communicate how you want to play without actually taking the training session though. Ideally you have a number of coaching staff, all of whom are pulling in the same direction, guided by the managers vision.

At a lower level it’s going to be a massive part of the managers responsibility, but I don’t see a manager actually running the training session as being essential at a high level. If there’s coaching staff capable of doing a better job I would have no issue with them taking session, and I would actually see someone recognising their own limitations as a sign of good management.

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Calling someone a "brit" on this forum is probably best avoided for all sorts of reasons, which given you have hinted at having political reasons for an interest to Celtic you will probably understand that?

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    MON definitely left the training element to John Robertson and others. Possibly that was a more common in those days and O'Neill was closer to what we think of as a DoF in some of what he did.

O'Neill focused on the formation and tactics, team selection, signings, getting money out of the Celtic board to fund them, and motivation as opposed to getting players fit is how I remember it.

I guess it is a form of delegation and really he was focusing on the overall strategy. Being an ex-player, I'm sure he got involved on the training pitch, probably to emphasise important points, but just not every session.

From the sound of it Lennon wasn't allowed near most of the stuff O'Neill did so definitely see your point of if he didn't do that what did he do.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    From everything we've been made aware of, Lennon most certainly acted more like Mon in being less hands on in training than what these players are used to and what they need.

I actually think it was to the detriment of Kennedy as well.

If we remember back, Lennon admitted he wasn't going to change much at all when he first tool over as interim a couple years ago.
    I've the feeling he thought he could leave Kennedy to continue what Rodgers was doing, and Lennon would act like O'Neil being the guy in the office.

Only bad things here was, Lennon isn't half as smart as O'Neil was to be able to pretend he was the man behind it all, all seeing from afar.
    Nor was Kennedy ever ready for that level of responsibility or had the tools or the manager above him to help him.

I'm on board with Ange and content to let him run the rule over the two Muppets. If he thinks Kennedy can work with him and offer something, I believe Ange will be the one calling that now.

However if I had my way, I'd have still punted the pair of them months ago now. They don't deserve another chance, but they've got it and I'll back Ange in that.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

14. AussieGreek

[​IMG]

Also, kangaroo meat is delicious when cooked correctly. A favoured protein for Aussie bodybuilders/gym junkies.

My apologies.

By political reasons, I mean more so regarding Palestine and Irish reunification. I genuinely didn't know calling you lot as British was an offense (considering you're born in Britain, just as I am an Aussie-Greek - I'm reflecting on my own identity as the son of an immigrant to a foreign country), but again I apologise for that and meant no maliciousness.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  15. jj81

Lol this fool is at it

16. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The 'playing football the right way' mantra has always * me off. One of the worst for saying it is John Collins. The only right way is the way that gets you more goals than the other team and that to a good extent depends on the players you have and the other team have. Wimbledon beat Liverpool in a FA cup final playing route one football - it wasn't pretty but it was the best way for them to win the match so it was 'the right way'.

littlekennie and King of Kings like this.
  17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Most on here will likely not identify as British, Scottish sure. A lot will be of Irish descent or Irish and the term "brit", particularly those from the North will identify that word with an occupying force.

* being a brit.

jj81 and OziBeerMan like this.
  18. AussieGreek

Sure, thanks for the heads up.

PS. No love from me for the British Army or Empire. They are the very reason why Cyprus is divided with a lot of parallels to the Irish situation.

Dannybhoy81, OziBeerMan and NomDePlum like this.
  19. Mr Cleansheets

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

Novo Aussies...I totally understand your passion for Ange but be respectful of the fans of a club that's been around for 130 years.

Celts - when we talk about Ange's achievements, we're talking about his achievements in context. Not many are trying to compare the AL or JL with the SPL - we're just saying that Ange has won (or succeeded) everywhere he's gone.

Peej and OziBeerMan like this.
  20. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU doesn’t remember arriving in Australia.

But he’ll never forget the sacrifices his parents made to get him there.

Boarding a ship in Greece, the family sailed for 30 days and nights before docking in Melbourne.

It was a voyage laced with hope and fear.

For five-year-old Ange it would ultimately lead to a far better life — the next chapter of which will soon be written in Glasgow.

Reflecting on how his remarkable journey to Parkhead began, the new Celtic manager said: “I was a five-year-old, I didn’t know any different.

What they would have gone through to take a young family halfway round the world, on a ship that takes us 30 days, to a country where they don’t speak the language, they don’t know a soul, they don’t have a house, they don’t have a job and to start a life there.

“People say they go there for a better life. My parents did not have a better life. They went there to provide opportunities for me to have a better life.

“All I remember is my father working hard.

"He’d be gone for work before I ate my breakfast and come home at night, have dinner, sit on the couch and fall asleep and go and do the same thing the next day.

The only time I ever got to see any joy in my dad was when we went to the football on a Sunday.

“So that did make an impression on me because I made a quick connection that football is something that makes him happy, so if I love this like he does it will get me close to him.

“I’ve said football for me has not just been a sport, it’s been a vehicle in my life.

“I understand what an honest day’s work is about, I understand what sacrifice is about, I understand what being in a privileged position like I am now is about.

“I’m not going to take this for granted because I know how hard my mum and dad worked. They sacrificed their whole life for me to be here.

"I don’t really feel like I am working every day.

"I feel like I am living a dream that was founded by other people’s sacrifice, particularly my parents. They are the values I pass on to people.”

Postecoglou Sr was a huge influence on his son. Some years after his passing, Jim still shapes almost every aspect of Ange’s life.

A fan of the great Real Madrid side of the 1960s and the Leeds United team of the 70s, Postecoglou’s dad believed football should be played in a certain way.

When he first broke into management, Postecoglou said he wanted his teams to play in a way his father would have enjoyed.

It has been his philosophy ever since.

The new Hoops gaffer smiled: “He was my harshest critic and probably all of you have similar kinds of dads.

“My dad never told me he loved me, he didn’t give me cuddles. He was my biggest critic all the time.

“I am a totally different father. I kiss and cuddle my kids every day and tell them I love them, which is terrible because I am making them too soft.

“That was my childhood, sitting next to him at three o’clock in the morning and we were watching football from this side of the world and would always point out the entertainers and the teams that were scoring goals.

He’d say, ‘Look at him, look at this team’ and that got into my subconscious and when I became a manager that’s the kind of team I wanted to produce.

“He’s not with us now, he passed away a couple of years ago, but he’s in my head.

“When my team plays, I’ll sometimes have an ugly 1-0 win and I know what he’s saying, ‘Don’t celebrate because that was crap’.”

At his Parkhead coronation on Friday, Postecoglou joked Google had crashed as people in Glasgow turned to the internet to learn more about Neil Lennon’s successor.

He knows he wasn’t the club’s first choice after the Eddie Howe debacle and he knows he faces a fight to win over the doubters.

But he stressed: “From a young age I nourished my brain with everything about football from this side of the world, especially the UK.

“The only footage we would get on a weekly basis was from the UK.

“My knowledge of English and Scottish football during the 70s and 80s is like an encyclopaedia because that’s how I grew up.

“I wasn’t reading stories about Harry Potter — I was reading Roy of the Rovers and Tiger.

"I was gutted when I found out Hotshot Hamish wasn’t a real footballer! I know it’s hard for people on this side of the world to understand that.

They ask, ‘What would you know about it?’.

"But I was literally hanging around outside the newsagent waiting for Shoot magazine or Roy of the Rovers, three months late for me to read.

"They all inspired me.”

As did former Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers, one of the first men to congratulate him.

Postecoglou added: “To be fair, Brendan was one of the first to reach out to me and send a nice message.

“I crossed Brendan’s path a couple of times, first when he was Liverpool manager and we played against him and then when I was national team manager and he invited me to Melbourne.

“He’s had a fantastic career in management after following, I guess, an unusual path, having not been a great player.

“He is somebody who, when things settle, I’ll have a chat to.

"He had a fantastic experience here and the one thing he did say to me was that it will be the most memorable period of my life.”

Rydo1888*, VT8, OziBeerMan and 2 others like this.