1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
  2. AussieGreek

Its nearly 6am in Greece (where I live now). I’ll pull out my diary tomorrow and can give dates, prices etc.

I’ve watched football from Thailand to Iceland to Egypt. It’s hard to remember all details off the top of my head.
    Anyways back on topic to Ange!

PS. Loved the struth.

3. phreeky

What nonsense. The SPL is almost certainly well known and followed by more Aussies than vice versa. I have no doubt at all which group have their head in the sand more when it comes to following overseas leagues.

Hardly surprising given how multicultural Australia is. Just in the local league team I'm a part of there are 2 Scots, 3 Irish, 3 Poms, 2 Brazilians and a mix of others.

AussieGreek and seanm like this.
  4. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    That obviously was a problem under Lennon last season. Celtic lost out on 22 premiership points due to 11 drawn games in the season . Rangers lost 12 points due to 6 drawn games. Hopefully Ange will be able to break down opposing defences no matter the conditions, so that a similar thing does not happen during the coming season.

seanm likes this.
  5. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Luckily we don’t give a * about what you say either.
    And yes, you are lucky to have Ange. Actually a more accurate word would be blessed.
    You’ve all moaned on here at the state of the club, the rebuild required, the lack of resources, the lack of time given to any new manager, the pressure, the media scrutiny, * it sounds like a poisoned chalice. A career killer. Especially for a coach getting his first gig in Europe.
    I remember when he was first announced the commentary was centred around “ not for a club our size ....... how prestigious our appointment is......... this isn’t a world class signing “ etc etc.
    Ask yourselves why you couldn’t attract coaches of that apparent calibre.

Luckily for you all Ange loves a challenge.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Oh, and chill out. You’ve just opened a new market, 25 million more people to sell merch to, post season tours, supporter memberships etc. There’s a lot of support for Celtic in Australia already, this has just taken it to the next level though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Jordann and AussieGreek like this.
  6. AussieGreek

being a hopeless romantic for ancient Greek history, mythology and philosophy, I think it’s apt to quote one of my favourite historical figures. upload_2021-6-27_9-38-30.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. celtic warrior

If he wins the league for us, I want it posted about in every media form , blasted out of homes and vehicles.

I want parties all hours of the day, marches for the Ange order.

I want it thoroughly rubbed in that the super great, man * that is Gerrard was utterly beaten by some hopeless Aussie manager we hired from Japan.

I hope Ange sends Scotland into meltdown by winning the league

VT8, Lebo, trackebhoy and 2 others like this.
  8. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    F*ck me is this an old bhoys club or something? Aussie Ange brings in a few new fans from literally the other side of the world and a couple of Celtic Da's get their knickers in a twist.

I've been a Celtic fan since roughly 2013-14 and can say that this is the most excited I've been to be a Celtic fan. The media over here are lapping it up. We hardly went a day last week without an article, video or news report on our primary football social media accounts (Fox Football, Optus Sport).

Oh, and before anyone asks, I've only been to Celtic Park once (check my post history).

HAIL HAIL (did i say that right?)

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Ffs get yer boarders open so I can come on holiday to sample some kangaroo and wallabies. Thanks.

OziBeerMan and TonyTim like this.
  10. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    If you want boarders open you'll have to ask them yerself, and I'm sure there are better ways you can sample kangaroo and wallabies.

As for our borders, it doesn't look like they're opening any time soon. Sydney (which has a population just slightly less than the entirety of Scotland) just went into complete lockdown after 30 odd COVID-19 cases were reported in a 24 hour time frame. There was 18,000 new cases in the U.K. yesterday.

OziBeerMan, seanm and craigtheceltic like this.
  11. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Nah we don’t want you boarding down here, too much Covid to open our borders up to you lot :86:

seanm and aussiehoops like this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

:56: :56: mad *

13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Well this thread went off the rails somewhat after I went to bed... (I'm not talking about your post here.)

I admit I haven't seen anything from his time coaching in the Australian league. What I have seen is some utterly shambolic defending (if you can even call it defending) from his team in Japan, leading to lost goals and lost games. And I believe that was after the 12 months people say he usually takes to put his stamp on his teams. If he continues to play that way all the time here I fear it is not going to end well for him.

For the record I have no issue with him playing high tempo aggressive football, I think that is what everyone wants to see. What I have a potential issue with is someone not being able to recognise when that isn't working and being willing to change it, even for just a spell within games, to ensure the win. It makes you very predictable to play against in short order.

I just don't know if he really is that inflexible or not, but it appears that way from what I have heard from him and others and seen from the highlights of his team in Japan. I won't say it can't work for him here, with the quality of the other teams in the league he may well get away with it for a quite a while, but right now, when we still haven't seen what he can do here yet, it is the one area about him that isn't filling me with confidence.

At least we'll have something to base our opinions on after the qualifiers, if we see any glimmers of improvement.

14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    This is the most excited you've been as a fan?

Seriously?

seanm likes this.
  15. seanm

I was most excited in 1967 and i was only 5 but can remember the game on tv and meeting lisbon lions at our school and seeing the big cup when my dad took me too it.now.THATS as exciting it ever got being a celtic fan.period HH

NomDePlum likes this.
  16. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Yes, as a casual Australian fan this is unprecedented for me.

NomDePlum, Dannybhoy81 and seanm like this.
  17. seanm

If he punts kennedy and strachan im in. if he doesnt im out. Proves hes just another board yes man.i bet both of them stay .imagine coming back to pre season and seeing those two waiting to welcome you back to training without having a clue.totally useless both of them. I think they are more to blame than lennon because lennon didnt take the training please get them out now.HH

18. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    At the end of the day most of us, excluding the ozzy bhoys, know * all about Ange, but he's here, whether he's who we wanted or not, we can only judge him on what he says and does going forward.

He came across really well in his presser, and his philosophy on football seems to be well suited to us, let's give the guy some time and get behind him, unfortunately the club is in a shocking state just now and we need to remember that if things don't get off to a flier under Ange.

seanm, trackebhoy and craigtheceltic like this.
  19. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    Quite a bit of gate keeping weirdoness going on in here, good to have the aussie bhoys on board whether they started following celtic 5 minutes or 50 year ago.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Why wouldn't the manager take the training? Infact what did he do then if he never took the training? :56: :56: christ your loosing the plot. No wonder we was so * if lennon only turned up game day, and that means its not his fault? * that would mean its even more his fault.