1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StevieBhoooy!

Whoever is next needs to read the mood… then just say something like..

“ hello … I’m here to try and win stuff for a while… then I might go somewhere else.”

None of the insincere sound bites, guff about being a long time admirer of the club, dedicated to the fans etc etc etc

In fact… make it a contractual obligation to just say * all!

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    [​IMG]

Random Review and Noskeil like this.
  3. Pogues

Don't think this is right tbh.

Ange wasn't sly with the support, I genuinely believe he got it with us. He loved the clubs history, he loved the atmosphere the supporters created and I genuinely believe he loves the club.

We have no idea what was going on behind the scenes so to suggest he was whoring himself around to get a move is just guessing mate.

We all knew that if a big epl club came in for him then he would likely move on.

Devastated he's going but I'm no sure he's done much wrong tbh.

The_Bhoy and saltire78 like this.
  4. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I said it when this first started breaking that the only way he comes back from this was a long term contract with a no shop clause in season for his manager. But there’s been a lot more revealed since then, I’m not sure anymore, loved his football but he’s not been upfront. It’s * hard to trust him now. Is it inexperience that’s got him here? Maybe a change of manager would be required too.

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Ah right so you are talking * once again, not willing to go back and see what I have replied regarding the situation on a whole and taking snippets of replies acting wide on them.

Got it.

6. EddieBhoy1986

A big EPL has come in for him because he's instructed his agent to manoeuvre him into contention all the while it would seem strining the Celtic board along as a back up plan incase his agent failed to deliver the goods. His name didn't magic itself into the hat for the Spurs job he put it in the hat himself via his agent. It is sleekit and sly as it gets but fair play to him it worked. If he had been transparent with us or stayed true to his own philosophy of if you aren't all in you are out then we could have spent the past weeks or months even succesion planning.

NakamuraTastic and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. bhoy81

By the way Jota and Kyogo hugged him when he took them off they * knew at that point.

Behind the scenes probably it was more known.

you can see with the body language with the players.

Random Review and NakamuraTastic like this.
  8. EddieBhoy1986

Yeah but did they know because Ange had the balls to tell them or did they know because they are not daft and worked it out?

littlekennie likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

With the speed it's all moving it's clear the deal was done in principle in the last few weeks and Ange was just biding his time.

But dealing with your hypothetical as it is, no - even if talks broke down somehow he had multiple options to devote his future to Celtic and refused to do so.

Judge him by the own standards he laid out after McGree knocked us back:

“I won’t try and convince any player to come and sign for this football club. I won’t. If they can’t see the opportunities that exist here then that’s part of the deal for me. The ones we have signed all wanted to come here.

“It’s an easy decision. Everyone has their own free will to decide what’s best for them. But I’m not going to sell this club to anyone on its attributes or virtues. If they can’t understand that in the first place then they’re probably not worth talking to from my perspective."

10. bhoy81

How would they work it out if he doesn’t tell them anything etc like you have said in the last post.

Clearly someone has been told about it.

11. Dubliner1

Ange comes out with all the badge thumping, we never stop, etc. But his first opportunity to the EPL he's gone just like that. Not only that, Ange is also looking to raid our back-room staff as well. We need to accept 95% of our managers & players show little affiliation to our club when the EPL comes knocking. Ange well knew that he was going to Spurs weeks ago.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This.

NakamuraTastic and Seán Mac D like this.
  13. EddieBhoy1986

The same way we all worked it out ffs.

14. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He put it in the hat because of the good work he has done as our manager. They would have been interested in him and made some sort of approach, not the other way around.

Granted it looks like he’s jumped at the chance to go there and it’s very disappointing.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  15. EddieBhoy1986

You are being very niave.

16. JamesM09

He is walking out the front door.

Sorry mate but genuinely how else are you meant to leave a club? Only if they want rid of you? Surely for some common ground can we not agree Ange has left in an infinitely better manner than Rodgers?

He stayed and secured a treble and UCL qualification. He kept all talk of a move quiet as he possibly could. I don't see how he could've left any better.

Come on man. These are just nonsense rumours that don't make any sense.

But even if it's true Spurs reached out to his agents weeks or months ago, so what? What's he meant to do, tell the club not to book a lucrative tour of Japan? Tell them not to scout the players he identified for the summer? What if Spurs pulled their interest for goodness sake.

We make plans assuming the manager is staying just like every club. He's leaving at the perfect time (immediately after the last game of the season).

It's a difficult situation been well-handled by everybody involved.

17. Pogues

Not for me mate.

Spurs will have no doubt put their short list together and I don't think Ange or his agent waving their arms at them shouting "pick me" will have influenced that. Ange being as successful as he was at us has put himself on that list.

Did spurs not speak to the feyenoord boy a few weeks ago who turned them down. That would suggest any approach to ange has been recent.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maybe we just need to be a bit less naive. When I think about it, hardly any (maybe even none) of the players or managers that have proved they actually love the club have thumped the badge or anything like that. There almost seems to be an inverse relationship. Next time someone says stuff like that, just shrug it off.

19. JamesM09

*. :56:

Just admit you've looked back and realised you * it mate.

20. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So you believe that Spurs had no interest in Ange and it only came to light because he decided to phone them while still managing us?

I’m under no illusions about the fact there’s been talks in the last few weeks, but where’s the evidence to suggest Ange initiated them?

Pogues likes this.