1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    If the man's misguided enough to think he can go to basketcase club like spurs and make it work then * him. We're bigger than one man.

neilly1987 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    He is leaving us in a far better state than when he came.

He was close to becoming a legend. He needed some sort of European success. It didn't have to be a trophy but something to talk about.

I thank Ange for all he did and definitely top 5 of my favourite managers.

I can't really blame him in going to Spurs given the stage of his career. Just disappointed in the timing of it all as I thought he'd be here for the long haul and make the leap in Europe.

Interesting times ahead and I'm excited to see who we'll bring in to carry Ange's work forward and hopefully achieve something in Europe.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I never saw the post match, but was some * asking the players if they thought Ange was leaving?

Brain dead journalism.

4. Turd Ferguson Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, we have won 8 trebles across 5 managers. Two of whom are now roundly ridiculed and despised among much of our support. Do we consider them "legends" too? simply on the back of having won a treble,well two each, actually?

Personally I would consider both more of a legend than Postecoglou is.

The point being, each of our last 3 managers has won trebles. 2 of those have won more than one and both of those have had considerably better results in European competition than the most recent and one of those won a treble without losing a single game. The 4th was a dodgy decision away from adding his name to that list also.

Are we considering all of those mentioned legends? Or are we just playing hard and fast with the term in these times of spoiled success.

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

* up.

Since when was ambition a bad thing.

6. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Maybe not the best for the points others have brought up but he's definitely my favourite manager since O'Neil.

Doesn't warrant some of the abuse he's getting tonight either after leading us to a hard earned treble imo but each to their own.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It takes far more than success or trophies to be a legend.

Lennon dragged us into despair for his own ego then shat all over us.

Rodgers left us for a mediocre PL job.

* the pair of them.

murphy88, Garrymac1888 and BhoyFitz like this.
  8. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I doubt he's gonna do what Conte and Mourinho failed to do and would he even give him the time to build?

It's not ambitious its suicide. A few bad results and the spurs fans that already don't want him will be calling for his head.

9. jj81

Legendary football I'd say and a never say die attitude, first season under Rodgers was immense football then petered out , the way ange has us playing obviously is the best I've seen since burns era minus the results ( too many draws ) but we can all debate from all angles on it.

Just glad we have him here for 2 seasons , what annoys me too is the way spurs fans disregard him cos he manages here and his history isn't what they want in a manger , the same way alot of us did when he was linked with us before he came , and that's why I think some of us ( me included ) now see where the aussie fans were coming from when they talked him up when he came here.

Anyway , it's a treble , 5 out of 6 ain't bad

Creativecelt and Jukes like this.
  10. Turd Ferguson Gold Member Gold Member

You've hit the nail on the head again mate.

He could be, given more time. But as it stands its ludicrous to afford the status to him.

If we say ange is a legend then all of our last 3 managers are legends too, and the 4th is a dodgy decision away from it. If that's the case then we are starting to get loose with the term.

Personally, over this last decade I would be inclined to afford two people the term legend and they are Scott brown and Tam rogic. Don't think either needs an explanation why.

11. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Just home and a bit poleaxed so no idea what's happening.

If he's staying...yass!!!

If not, I totally get it. I'm 10 years younger and .you do start thinking about what's best for you and your legacy. He's done what was asked.

Regardless....we will continue to be unrepentant Feinian winning *.

Tiocfaidh arla

12. Turd Ferguson Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, and I'm not saying either are legends but my point being neither is ange simply on the back of us being better than when he took over.

Ange had done a very good job but he's not a club "legend". Very far from it actually.

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Rogic is a stretch for me mate. I get where you are coming from but legend is stretching it. Cult hero maybe.

Cal and Forrest would be in the debate. Whole career spent at the club. Medals coming out their ears.

14. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song
    If he talks to Spurs but decides to stay with us I wonder how fractured his relationship with Lawwell, Desmond and the board will be?

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Lenny's an odd one. His final season was one of the worst jobs I've ever seen. There is no defending it. However I would genuinely consider Lenny a legend if only he had left the summer before he did. I think we can all agree on his playing career and on the death threats, many of us can probably also agree on his first stint managing us. Where I see things differently than most is that I also think he did a decent job in the first season and a half of his second stint. I know most people don't agree with that last one.

MON is a definite legend for me. WGS and Ronny would make up a legend if they were one person instead of two (WGS achieved a lot, but I never really felt much of a bond there; Ronny was just OK as a manager, but I have a real soft spot for him on a personal level). Tommy is obviously a legend. I thought Rodgers was a legend before I saw clearly who he was when he left.

I talk too much and this is all my way of saying I think only MON and Tommy are legends out of the managers we've had since I started following Celtic in 92. Ange won't be a legend unless he changes his mind and stays and then does something in Europe (EL run or 2nd in CL groups). It's hard to know how I'll feel about him when I look back.

16. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange ain't a legend!! He done wonderfully well, bit he ain't anywhere near a legend

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yass haha. The often seen * winning machine.

We roll on no matter what happens.

18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hes not got much of a choice now but to
    go to Spurs as he's * the trust of the board and the fans. When he was talking about being robust in the transfer market and not getting too attached to players who would have thought he would be the first to * off out of all them

19. wulliebad

Enjoyed the game despite being at work and only seeing bit of it and yet again we set records for others to try and follow.
    Kind of been feeling a bit down about football since the * spurs started looking at our manager and doubt its going to end well for us. Going to avoid everything football untill the news breaks one way or other.

20. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

We're a machine, people come and go, we are Celtic. I'll love the man for what he's done, but if he's gone hey ho.

seamus1967 and Sean Daleer like this.