1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I'm still raging :56:

2. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    This, something needs to change next season in midfield whether it's personel or shape . I'd also add our passing hasn't looked great for a while now even in games not against the huns.

martin_d likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Needs to learn from his mistakes. That's three games in a row against the huns he's chucked players in who aren't match fit. Mooy, then Hatate, then Hatate again and Abada.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  4. Darksel

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Everything Ange Postecoglou had to say in his post-match interview with Sky Sports after Celtic's defeat against Rangers at Ibrox...

Can we get your assessment of the game today?

We did not really perform at the levels that we needed to today. There were a couple of critical moments in the game where we should have got ourselves back into it but we didn't. In the second half we were a little bit desperate in our play rather than playing our football.

Can you put your finger on why?

There is probably a number of reasons but credit to Rangers and obviously you are facing a difficult opponent at their venue and the amount of changes I made probably didn't help in terms of the guys lacking a little bit of sharpness. At the end of the day, we just weren't good enough.

Is that a surprise given the standards you have set and the run that you were on?

I don't look at it that way. Every game is a challenge. Every game is an opportunity whether you are on a good or a poor run that doesn't mean that a performance has to flow from that. We have never felt that just because we are playing well that the next game will go well. We have to work awfully hard at it to make sure we maintain those levels and we didn't get to them today.

You mentioned the guys coming in to the team how difficult did they find it today and what did you make of their performances?

As I said they were a bit off it today and that is part of the experience of playing for this football club. It's relentless and you do not get any easy introductions. We have thrown guys into derbies for pretty much their first game. This is how you understand what it is to be a player at this football club.

Do you learn anything more from defeat, given how successful you have been? Do you look at it a different way?

I learn all the time, mate, you never stop learning.

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Great interview, he'll learn from this.

7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Glad he admitted the changes were too much, don't think he said that after the St Mirren loss, did he?

I actually think he'll learn from that, should only be making major changes at home to lower opposition, not away at our closest rivals.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Tbf he hasn't got a lot wrong in his time here, has set exceptionally high standards.

9. Darksel

I don't even think it's completely on Ange to be honest, 9 out of the 11 who started today did not look bothered at all, there was no urgency in the movement or passing.

Fair enough nothing is on the line but it's a bit embarrassing no?

greengrocer likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He did make too many changes but will have definitely learned a few things about the squad.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Totally agree. I thought a few of the changes were throwing a wee curveball but the guys did not step up.
    I think starting hatate since he came back has been too much. He hasn't been fit enough and think iwata should have started. Other than that it was a big chance for some and they didn't take it.
    Had our chances first half. Made 2 errors for the goals. Not much you can do from a set piece at times. But guys need to be better

Darksel likes this.
  12. EddieBhoy1986

Out back up Centre half is young and still adjusting to our league and wasn't helped by our strongest LB being benched so he was playing alongside another inexperienced out of his depth player which put him under even more pressure. Maybe Ange had good reason for Greg being on the bench, he pulled up in warm up or is carrying something that means it's not worth risking him in dead rubbers, I don't know. But Ange will not be writing Kobayashi off after that at all. Bernabei has had a bit longer and come up short in a couple of these games now so he is a different matter.

13. Darksel

He seems raging in this one tbh

boylebhoy95 likes this.
  14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou admitted his personnel changes "didn't help" his Celtic side this afternoon as they were soundly beaten by Rangers.

The Hoops succumbed to a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Ibrox by Michael Beale's side who seemed hungrier from the outset as they ensured they did not go a full season without a win over their rivals. Todd Cantwell gave his side the lead before goals from John Souttar and Fashion Sakala sealed the points.

Meanwhile Postecoglou's men missed their own opportunities through the likes of Oh and Liel Abada and the manager accepted the blame for the loss. Some key players were rested with Kyogo and Daizen Maeda both starting on the bench while Alexandro Bernabei came in for Greg Taylor.

But it was not to be for tinkerman Ange on a day where Beale got things spot on and Celts were off it.

Speaking to Sky Sports Postecoglou said: "We are disappointed. We didn't perform at the levels we needed to today. There were probably a few critical moments where we should have got ourselves back into it and we didn't.

The second half we were a little desperate in our play and didn't play our football. Credit to Rangers, you are facing a difficult opponent at their venue.

The amount of changes I made probably didn't help in terms of lacking a bit of sharpness, at the end of the day we just weren't good enough.

Every game is a challenge and every game is an opportunity, we have had to work awfully hard to make sure we maintain our levels. We didn't get to them today."

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Thought he was £1m ish. Still looks a waste of money on a free

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. boylebhoy95

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    In that Celtic YT interview posted above, when he says 'well they'll learn that it's what this club demands' (in reference to the players who started a derby for the first time) it sounds like he's disgusted with the laissez faire attitude of those players. Good.

Darksel likes this.
  17. Darksel

Yeah, I like that to be honest. Ange could have came out and said it was a nothing game (true).

He knows the standards though.

boylebhoy95 likes this.
  18. boylebhoy95

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, standards that we as supporters all hold. Some of those players need to realise they're not on holiday just because we're officially champions.

Darksel likes this.
  19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    He needs to learn from it too. I don't care if we are already champions or 13 points ahead, no game against they * is every a meaningless game or 1 to go experimenting in. He got his selection massively wrong today.

Made the same mistake last year away to bodo when thousands of fan's had spent * load of money to go over there.

20. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Was his fault for picking guff frankly.

21. boylebhoy95

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Totally agree. Both he and the players are culpable.

I mentioned in the match thread MON going to Ibrox as champions and winning 3-0. Just because a game might be a 'dead rubber', you don't drop your standards. Ange did today through his selection and overall approach. Maybe a tiny bit of arrogance has crept in.

Ryanm1984 likes this.