1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Wonder what will materialise when he says 'With next year in mind' wonder if it will be a change in shape or personnel.. said it in both pressers ..

Could mean a midfield of McGregor, Iwata and Hatate.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    Taylor1 and McChiellini.. like this.
  2. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah I was wondering that aswell, the midfield 3 are the only thing I could think of that would be for next season in mind. Might mean O'Reilly is away if we start that midfield 3 and Mooy will be on the bench more to be an impact sub.

JC Anton likes this.
  3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    3241??

The formation he evolved to using with australia

JC Anton likes this.
  4. PaddyJamieson

I think you're bang on, I reckon it'll be the double pivot with McGregor and Iwata there rotating and Hatate in front. Might also play around with Kyogo and Oh starting together, Kyogo slightly behind.

JC Anton and McChiellini.. like this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Exactly what I thought when I watched it chaps. The double pivot with Iwata sitting next to McGregor..

JC Anton likes this.
  6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Packed bags last year': Celtic boss on Rangers psychological warfare and how he 'took a moment' after title
    Victory over Hearts last weekend precluded the possibility of Celtic securing the title at Ibrox on Saturday afternoon.

Nevertheless, going there as freshly crowned champions with a target of securing a fourth successive win over their Rangers forms an appealing prospect for Ange Postecoglou's men. It’s very much a sortie into enemy territory since Celtic will have none of their own fans present as they take on their rivals in the final Old Firmmatch of the season.

The meeting might not matter much in terms of league positions but it can go one of two ways for Rangers. A first win at the fifth attempt against Celtic would be a source of huge personal relief for Rangers manager Michael Beale, who has endured three defeats and earned just one draw in four clashes since taking over in November.

Alternatively, failing to beat a Celtic side with little to play for except Scottish Cup final places would represent a grievous blow to morale ahead of next season. Postecoglou has been quick to dismiss any such attempt to analyse the outcome of this afternoon's meeting in the context of next season. He doesn’t buy the psychological warfare theory that Rangers cannot afford to lose once again, especially given the changes set to be implemented at Ibrox by Beale as he seeks to put his own mark on the team. Postecoglou argues that next season is next season and both teams will start on zero points. He suffered defeat in his own Old Firm debut when many were already writing him off.

It doesn’t concern me,” said Postecoglou. “If I got wrapped up in that stuff about mental scars I would have packed my bags last year. You take each one on an individual basis and when one is done and dusted, you move along to the next one. You can’t rest on your laurels in this kind of game and think one side is in the ascendancy. For us it’s about playing well in this one. We want to continue our form, finish strongly and prepare for the Cup final. Next season we all start at zero. You don’t take any points with you for what you’ve done this year.”

If Celtic triumph for a fourth time in succession against Rangers it will match the longest run of victories in the fixture since 2004, when Martin O’Neill’s team strung together seven wins. However, don’t expect Postecoglou to attach much significance to such statistics. He has consistently rejected talk of breaking this and that record with Celtic four wins away from reaching 107 points, which would stand as the best-ever points tally in Scottish football history. “If I changed my tune and said it was important now, then people would wonder why I said it wasn’t before,” he said.

But he did allow himself some to enjoy last week’s title success at Tynecastle as well as the party later on back at Celtic Park, although it didn't really sink in until he returned home with his family. “I did take a moment,” he said. “I got home with the wife and kids and it was nice to sit back and reflect a little bit. The players have set unbelievable standards and been at an unbelievable level for a very long time."

Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Made a mistake today. Arrogant to include so many B-team players where he didn't need to. Hoping to see him take some culpability in the post-match.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    He's not infallible.. * CL campaign and the last game against them we've been embarrassed.

Lot of work to do.

The_Bhoy and King of Kings like this.
  9. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    His mistake was signing those "B team" players.
    £5m wasted on Bernabei and kobiyashi. Absolutely nowhere near good enough to ever make it here

Jury still very much out on Oh too

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Tbh I think he knew he could’ve played a better team but with league won wanted to give fringe players a run. I’d rather play a full team and bash them * but think it might have been his thinking

11. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Made an absolute rip roaring * of it today.

Hope he is ruthless as we would all be and guts this team to *. Far too many absolute * players.

The_Bhoy and Lecs like this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Still work to do.

That performance was embarrassing, meaningless game or not. Don't think the recent signings have hit the desired level either.

We lack physicality and pace in key areas.

Our midfield has been bitched by Tod Cantwell.

The_Bhoy and King of Kings like this.
  13. Darksel

Genuinely hope he mentions how poor the performance has been.

Yes, the game did not matter. We have already won everything but we have never played that bad against them before, and it's a shocking performance.

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye that was poor, if it was a 1 goal defeat I'd be fine, but we should never be giving them a 3 goal victory, no matter the circumstances.

We have 3 more games after this for Ange to give the young players more gametime. Away at Ibrox wasn't the place. Also starting Abada after months out was poor.

We won the games that mattered against them, but we've definitely still got ways to go.

Darksel likes this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Poor today but we beat them when it really mattered this season, Ange could be looking at a Treble and 5 out of 6 trophies in his 2 seasons with us so far, we know it wasn't anywhere near good enough today , i'll cut the guy a bit of slack, he's earned it.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    A disgrace and he'll know it..

Shameful performance..

Need serious improvements in the summer still..

17. EddieBhoy1986

He could have saved that for St Mirren, Hibs and Aberdeen. No matter the stakes no Celtic manager should ever be fielding anything but our strongest possible starting XI against them, especially not at Ibrox. Our defence already weakened with CCV and Johnston out and he rests Taylor? Baffling. Our midfield was poor but they were poor because of how much unnecessary pressure they were put under by our defence making a * of it.

Love the man but he needs to hold his hands upto this one.

Crilly, BigDoggyWoofWoof and Morcombe like this.
  18. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    a lot of work to be done in the summer, if that's our back up squad today.
    starting 11 selection was abysmal.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  19. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Agreed he exposed some of his signings, as well as our apparent lack of depth. It's a consequence in part also of a refusal to rotate players. Why he would choose this game to do so is beyond me. He did something similar last season in a game we lost and apparently hasn't learnt from it.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Both defeats this season are on him by making too many changes...

However, it's only 2 defeats...:ange2: