1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Anges press conferences have become what I'm like on Football manager, when I first start I'm mega happy to talk to the press, a year in and its 'send assistant' haha

celtic20, lionhead199, Lecs and 4 others like this.
  2. Neverwozza

Aerial ping pong pundit with no clue. The fact that he said Kewell would be welcome at Leeds clearly shows his knowledge of football matters - they still haven't forgiven him for signing with Galatasary.

OziBeerMan and craigtheceltic like this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

Doubt Leeds fans gave a rat's about him signing for Galatasaray.

Signing for Liverpool though and ripping the club off at the same time... HK will have featured on numerous dart boards for that.

4. DonnyCelt

Not so sure about that mate, every Leeds fan I know down here absolutely despises him because signed for a club who's fans killed two innocent Leeds supporters in Istanbul.

Taylor1, MAP, FairDinkumMate and 3 others like this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I delegate it to the assistant straight away. Tedious part of the game tbh.

BigDoggyWoofWoof and Noskeil like this.
  6. Mr Cleansheets

Aah okay. They still hate him for going to Liverpool though and refusing to sign for any other club which meant Leeds got only a nominal fee and HK got a huge sign on fee and massive wage.

7. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

If you speak to any Leeds fan none of them give a * about him moving to Liverpool anymore. The Galatasary move outweighs that by a factor of a thousand. They'd forgive Smith going to Manchester Untied despite being their biggest rival and being a local lad before they'd even let Kewell back in to the city because of that Galatasary move.

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

9. DonnyCelt

Oh 100% they hate him for how he left Leeds mate.

10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou opens up on life in Glasgow and makes 'few shots around my weight' wisecrack
    To outsiders, it can seem that the manager of Celtic can never be off. Never escape the glare, never say anything without his every syllable being picked apart, and never even go about his life away from his duties without there being a target on his back

Ange Postecoglou, though, has had little sense of such claustrophobia across his 20 months since pitching up in Scotland. “I’ve a family and we go about our business. It’s as simple as that,” said the Australian. “Whether there are eyes on you or people are hanging onto your every word, I’ve got nothing to hide, I don’t fear what I am going to say, so there is nothing I need to feel sort of anxious about.

“And the people have been really nice. Very welcoming, very kind. I haven’t had any sort of aggro from anyone. The family has really enjoyed the whole experience and I have enjoyed the work environment that I am in and the people I am sharing it with.

You are always a bit wary when teenage boys are coming up to you, because you don’t know what you are going to get. I’ve had a few shots around my weight – but that’s just at home from my missus, mate… Apart from that people have been really kind. They are quick to share their allegiances with me so I know straight away whether they're a Celtic person or not. They feel the need to tell me that. Within that context, people have been very respectful and I’d like to think I’ve been the same.

It’s just about how you kinda want to embrace everything you do and I always think I am in a position of privilege where I love what I do, I love managing, I love being involved in football and I really enjoy the company of the people I am sharing that journey with. My family, I’m blessed in that sense.

If you want to look for things that could potentially be something of a disruptor to your normal way of life, then I think you fall into that trap of changing who you are and the way you behave and the way you live your life. We’ve lived in various places and, everywhere we have lived, we’ve enjoyed the experience.”

AS anyone who has watched a Zoom press conference call with Ange Postecoglou will testify, it doesn’t appear to be his favourite medium of communication. Then again, that might just depend on who he is conversing with.

When he is online sharing ideas and coaching tips with the likes of current Australia and former England rugby union head coach Eddie Jones, it is perhaps understandable if he finds the conversation a little more illuminating.

The Celtic manager has revealed that he regularly checks in with an informal ‘brains trust’ of Australian coaches, as they each steal little titbits from one another’s experiences and pool the knowledge they have picked up from leading teams across their various disciplines.

Having common goals and common frustrations, Postecoglou says, means that the monthly virtual tete-a-tetes can be more cathartic than didactic for the most part too.

“Growing up in Australia, the disadvantage of loving football is that it isn’t the number one sport, but the advantage of loving sport is that you are surrounded by it,” Postecoglou said.

“So, growing up I was lucky enough to be exposed to multitudes of team and individual sports on my doorstep, and I’ve kind of used those networks throughout my whole career, whether that was as a player or now that I’m coaching.

“I’ve always had networks of people and Eddie is one of them, and along with three or four other Australian coaches from different codes we catch up once a month on Zoom.

“It’s more cathartic than anything else, we just complain for half an hour about our sort of burden, unburden ourselves and move on.

“But you always get stuff, because even though it is different sports, we are all dealing with similar things, particularly in the team dynamics and dealing with young men and young athletes.

Particularly as you get older, you want to make sure that you are constantly understanding the way they communicate so your message gets across.

“So, I’ve always tapped in, and I’ve had quite a few other coaches come through Celtic just to spend the week with us, and they get a bit out of it, I get a bit out of it and the staff get a bit out of it because we can pick each other’s brains.

“We’re obviously [from] different sports, but the roles are very similar in most respects.

“There’s always stuff you can take away with the way they deal with issues, whether it’s player issues or welfare issues.

“Even if the sports are different, [and] there isn’t a tactical exchange of ideas, there certainly is in terms of methodology and how you convey your ideas to players, whether that’s technology or other sources.

“There’s always stuff you can pick up. How to handle the media’s a good one!”

How to handle being such a public – and polarising – figure trying to live your life in Glasgow though is something that Jones et al would probably not be able to empathise with.

Thankfully, Postecoglou says he has been warmly received by the Scottish public wherever he has gone, even if he has had one or two pieces of unsolicited advice about his appearance along the way.

"Most people are kind, mate,” he said.

You are always a bit wary when teenage boys are coming up to you, because you don’t know what you are going to get.

"I’ve had a few shots around my weight, but that’s just at home from my missus, mate! Apart from that people have been really kind.

"They are quick to share their allegiances with me, so I know straight away whether they're a Celtic person or not. They feel the need to tell me that. Within that context, people have been very respectful, and I’d like to think I’ve been the same.

“I’m fine,” he added. “I’ve got a family and we go about our business. It’s as simple as that.

“Whether there are eyes on you, or people are hanging onto your every word, I’ve got nothing to hide, I don’t fear what I am going to say, so there is nothing I need to feel sort of anxious about.

“And the people have been really nice. Very welcoming, very kind. I haven’t had any sort of aggro from anyone, irrespective of their allegiances or whether they follow my football club or football in general.

"The family has really enjoyed the whole experience and I have enjoyed the work environment that I am in and the people I am sharing it with.”

Despite his position, it has been striking from day one just how willing Postecoglou is to get out and about in the local area, posing for selfies in the Glasgow Fort shopping centre of all places just after his appointment.

“It’s just about how you kinda want to embrace everything you do,” he said.

And I always think I am in a position of privilege where I love what I do, I love managing. I love being involved in football and I really enjoy the company of the people I am sharing that journey with. My family, I’m blessed in that sense.

“If you want to look for things that could potentially be something of a disruptor to your normal way of life, then I think you fall into that trap of changing who you are and the way you behave and the way you live your life.

“Like I said, we’ve lived in various places and, everywhere we have lived, we’ve enjoyed the experience.

“As a family we just try and get on with our life and enjoy the fact we are in a pretty good place.”

The same could certainly be said about his team.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  12. lazyregula

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing!
    I think he'll stay for a few more years, he'll want to take us a bit further in European competition

13. leeso-ardoyne

Football fans have fickle brains. If he moved to leeds and done well, they wouldn't care.

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I wish he would just send JK every Friday to do them lol. Love the big man but feel it’s a bit OTT the way he can’t just can’t answer any question normally. Sometimes he absolute rips the journos which is good but other times there’s just no need.

Neverwozza and Noskeil like this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    8D2803E1-D693-425B-9F48-961076CC619C.jpeg I love this man so much

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fantastic.

cidermaster likes this.
  18. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Love it!

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

This man has * like status in my eyes. Such a beautiful human being. Wow man.

Rydo1888* and PaddyJamieson like this.
  20. anthony valletta

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom rogic
    Peter Lowy owns a part of Leeds and the Lowy family are very close to Ange, i wouldnt rule it out if Leeds stay up