1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Anybody got a link to the video featuring ange with the rocky music

2. seanm

Love the way he is dealing with the Hun media .lol.HH WNS

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

4. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Thanks for the update.

We certainly need to take our scoring chances when we have them. Let's hope we get into Europa. Love watching Celtic play against Euro teams, so let's win some also against these teams.

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic plan Australia and Portugal trips - but treatment of World Cup stars still up in air

Ange Postecoglou is confident the upcoming World Cup break will not have an adverse effect on Celtic’s season.

The Hoops manager admitted there are a lot of “unknown” factors related to how teams will cope with having the campaign interrupted for around a month from mid-November onwards to accommodate the finals in Qatar.

When asked if he had any concerns about his side being negatively impacted by the break, which comes almost a month-and-a-half prior to when the cinch Premiership usually has its January winter shutdown, Postecoglou said: “I hope not, I’m a bit more optimistic than that.

It’s obviously a bit different but here in Scotland we usually have a break around that time of the year.

The only difference is that some of our players will be at a World Cup. There are a lot of unknowns, not just for us, but for every club around the world, about what impact a mid-season World Cup has but I tend to focus on the stuff that’s known and what we can do to control the environment and make sure we’re ready.

“That’s what we’ll do and I’m optimistic that it won’t all fall apart in the second half of the year.”

Postecoglou explained that Celtic are well prepared for how to manage their squad through the break.

It’s been part of our planning from pre-season,” he said. “You kind of work with the things that are known. And that is that we’re going to Australia straight after the last league game for a week for a couple of games there.

“Then the players will have a mini-break for about a week or so and then we head to Portugal for a camp before the resumption. They’re the knowns.

“The unknowns are which players end up going to the World Cup, where the other players are physically and it’s likely we’ll have to have individual programmes for some of them.

“For instance, if they go to the World Cup, when do we give them a break? When do they come back in? If they’re in rehab, what sort of time off are we giving them?

We’ve got a plan for the collective but within that there will be some individual programmes.”

Prior to the break, Celtic still have eight games to negotiate in a 24-day period, starting with Wednesday’s Premier Sports Cup quarter-final away to Motherwell. Postecoglou has demanded his team maintain maximum focus against a side currently eighth in the Premiership.

“There are always teams that go on cup runs, sometimes belying their league form,” said the Hoops boss. “Cup competitions sometimes free teams up a bit and give them licence to be a bit more aggressive in their approach.

“From our perspective it’s about playing our football because we know that when we play well, we’re hard to stop.”

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  7. Al Bootyerbaws

Who was the fud that said to Ange our season might fall apart after the world cup? The big man is far too nice to these imbeciles in the media.

8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange must be * at the players if he's sending them down under when it's hottest over there.

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou is eyeing up more quickfire moves in the January market – and the Celtic boss is adamant he’ll keep scouring the globe to find gems. The Australian takes his team to Motherwell looking to book a place in the semi-finals of the Premier Sports Cup.

But, while immediate attention is on Fir Park, the manager and his staff are also long down the road of plotting for the next window. Postecoglou made rapid moves last winter with Japanese trio Reo Hatate, Daizen Maeda and Yosuke Ideguchi all signed and in place by January 1.

The gaffer and his recruitment unit are working on a potential repeat and he said: “It was really beneficial for us last year to do our business early in January. That helped us in the back half of the season. We’re going to have to do something similar this January. We are well underway with our planning.

"Our strategy is already in place and, hopefully, it all comes together. We’re looking everywhere in terms of our recruitment.

“Mark Lawwell is in the building now and the reason I brought him in is that he knows what I am looking for. The brief is to scour the world for that.

"The Japanese and Asian market is one I’m really familiar with and I still think there is value there for players, and I know how they would fit into what we do. We signed Alexandro Bernabei from Argentina, so South America is also an area we are looking at.

"With Mark now working and knowing how we do things, we know exactly what we’re looking for. There are some parameters financially we have to work with, but the key criteria is the kind of characters they are and how they conduct themselves. Whether they are from Europe, Asia, South America or Africa, we factor that into any player we bring in.”

Although January is being assessed in terms of additions, Postecoglou heads to Lanarkshire with his usual full concentration knowing his current group face a severe test. Celtic are the holders and the manager expects there to be a real thrust to tonight’s last-eight tie.

Postecoglou said: “Every cup game at an away venue is tough. It’s a challenge, but also exciting as we are only one step away from a semi-final. Motherwell will make it a good contest and it will have an edge to it but our job is to make sure we play the football we have shown so far, and if we do that we will be hard to stop.”

Postecoglou will make decisions on his line-up with Callum McGregor, Jota, Carl Starfelt and David Turnbull all still absent. He said: “The squad is pretty much as is from the weekend. The ones who were out, are still out.

“We will see how Jota goes. He and David are the closest but won’t make the Motherwell game.”

Postecoglou also faces a call on the goalkeeping position. Benjamin Siegrist was handed a start in the last-16 win over Ross County but Joe Hart has been picked since. The gaffer said: “Benji has been training well, but Joe is playing well and Scott Bain and young Tobi Oluwayemi are also doing well and working hard.”

Scottish teams don’t often plunder the Primera División, or indeed any other South American leagues, for rising stars. Bernabei was an alluring proposition for the Celtic support, a stocky, rapid full -back with a reputation for attacking at will. Some wanted him to replace the less trendy Greg Taylor, forgetting that he is about as solid a citizen you could have in your team.

Unsurprisingly, Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou has played it cool with Bernabei. A new city, a new language and a new culture. The Argentina Under-19 internationalist therefore had to wait until the last day of that month for his first full outing in green-and-white, in the Premier Sports Cup, away at Ross County. He has only started two league matches since but has contributed an assist in each of them and played very well in Saturday’s 6-1 win over Hibs.

“I am pleased for Alexandro,” Postecoglou said of the player’s progression. “Again, he is one we are really excited about. I think because of what happened last year [new summer signings coming into the team right away], people probably expected us to throw new signings in straight off the plane again. But this, season that was never the plan. I wanted to make sure we bedded them in properly, particularly Alexandro.

“He is 21, it’s his first time out of Argentina and I didn’t want to throw him in and overwhelm him immediately. We see a really bright future for him and we wanted to integrate him slowly. Alexandro has been really good in training, he wants to learn and he has a real appetite for improvement. We have been able to be measured but there was never any doubt in my mind that he could make an impact – and you will see that from now on. We have also had the luxury of not needing to throw him in, as Greg Taylor has had an outstanding season. We have been able to ease Alexandro in gradually.”

Postecoglou has to decide whether to keep Bernabei in his starting XI for Wednesday’s Premier Sports Cup quarter-final against Motherwell at Fir Park or bring back Taylor, who still holds the mantle of Celtic’s first-choice left-back. The Australian is pleased with his evolution since arriving in Glasgow and may decide to keep Taylor fresh for Saturday’s league match away at Hearts.

“We still have 28 league games plus cups to go, so Alexandro will play his part,” continued Postecoglou. “He has a couple of assists in his last two games and that was part of the attraction with Alexandro. He is exciting going forward and in the modern game, if you can get defensive players with good attacking outputs, they are great assets.

“We certainly saw that when we scouted Alexandro and we knew that he could be good for us going forward. But he’s also improving the defensive side of his game. We have worked closely with him and he’s taking it all on board. We see how good Alexandro has been in training and we are probably the least surprised by how played against Hibs. But he’s only a young guy and there is more to come.”

Wllm likes this.
  10. Mr Cleansheets

Naaah mate...

November's lovely and balmy - especially at night.

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    RalstonFanClubPresident and Wllm like this.
  13. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
  14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Talk about taking opportunities with both hands.

Ange Postecoglou had all but conceded that his dream of coaching in Europe had passed him by, until Scottish powerhouse, and one of the world's most famous football club's, Celtic called. The appointment was met with all sorts of doubt, but the former Socceroos coach and proud Melbournian has remarkably taken Celtic back to Championship glory.

From his successful time in Tokyo and his journey to Glasgow, and everything in between, Ange's next chapter is inspiring. You will soon hear why success has long followed this Gaffer.

Ange is back down under in November with Celtic in the Sydney Super Cup.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwjBsM6vo-76AhVBg1wKHZ4yBJAQieUEegQIJxAH&ep=6

Part B
    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwjBsM6vo-76AhVBg1wKHZ4yBJAQieUEegQIJxAK&ep=6

Big C, craigtheceltic and OziBeerMan like this.
  15. StrikeForceRed

this time of year is quite nice. february is the hottest time.

16. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Good listen. For anyone interested, Part A covers his time in Japan, the different culture, the challenges of communicating with the players and his failed attempts to get an opportunity in Europe. Part B is when the discussion moves to Celtic.

Pretty incredible that having got down to the last two candidates, he was rejected for the AEK Athens job literally a day before being contacted by Desmond and offered the Celtic job.

And when the host goes through some of the Twitter Celtic fan's comments replying to Ange being on the verge of getting the job, it's hilarious, everybody was like, 'who the actually * is this guy' :giggle1:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    OziBeerMan likes this.
  17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Absolute cracker of a podcast. Slip your walking/running shoes on, get out of the house and have a listen. Brilliant.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Randomly stumbled across a Sunderland thread on Big Ange from back when he got the Celtic job (he'd been linked with them when Chris Coleman was appointed, and it was likely the Championship job he references in the above podcast where he was interviewed over Zoom by someone driving in his car who had no idea who Ange was)

Pretty funny to read the comments and their shifting opinions:

"Absolutely astonishing that this fella got the Celtic job. Just looked at where he's been. This guy will be a disaster. Australia is the last place I'd look for a football manager, or anything productive for that matter."

"You have to wonder what they were smoking when they decided to give this bloke an opportunity. It's a dire CV for a club of Celtic's standing and a former European Cup winner. It'll be another John Barnes and I'll be surprised if he makes it past Christmas."

"He is replacing Neil Lennon though to be fair who is utter *."

"Rangers will kick on again this season, not the appointment Celtic needed."

"The Australian manager will be a disaster at Celtic but that's not his fault. I said the same when they appointed Ronny Delia and it's held them back ever since. They are a club who make lazy decisions, much like Arsenal."

"I might agree it's an OK appointment for Morecambe or Cambridge, but we're talking about Jimmy Johnstone's Celtic."

"Celtic will win the league bookmark this."

"No chance. That side needs a major rebuild."

"Celtic are a shambles at the minute and half their squad is jumping ship. Nee wonder nobody wanted the job."

"He doesn't have the CV to manage Celtic football club, simple as that. Done enough to get a chance to move to Europe to work his way up, not just walk into 1 of the biggest clubs in Britain."

"He has a better managerial record than Gerrard when he went to Rangers."

"Gerrard was (is) qualified unlike big Ange."

"It might be a poor league but still a big step up for him and don't underestimate how big a club Celtic are. The weight of their history, such a big fanbase with so much scrutiny. I hope he does well, it would be a good story."

"Setting up with a defensive line playing off the half way line and a goalkeeper that doesn't have hands and is on par with Lee Camp against a pacy West Ham. Genius."

"I don't think anyone will do well for Celtic this year tbh. They are an utter shambles. Just lost Ajer, Brown gone and Edouard on his way out as well."

"Will be gone by early September"

"The Celtic post mortem has started before Rangers have even kicked a ball in competitive action. Lostecoglou here for ten in a row"

"Pulled himself together after biting at the interviewers questions. Can't see him lasting the distance."

"I bet Gerrard couldn't believe his luck when this bloke was appointed from the backwaters of football. It'll be years before Celtic are title contenders again, and it's a massive shame for Scottish football."

"On borrowed time. Wonder how he'll cope with a Glasgow winter. We might never find out."

"He’s *. What’s he ever done at a proper club? Celtic and Rangers are the only two clubs in Scotland with a chance of winning the title and he’s got them mid table man. It’s like someone taking over Man City and saying they should be happy with 7th."

"Time for him to go now surely. I did think he should never have been appointed."

"3 wins in 9. Lethal."

"Don't forget Ferguson was in danger of being sacked after just a year at Man U. Bet they're glad they didn't! Will be the same for Celtic."

"How's he won the cup when he was meant to have been sacked by now?"

"Same amount of trophies as Steven Gerrard"

"The bloke has got Celtic flying now. First time in yonks I’m really looking forward to watching The Old Firm match tonight"

"His side 3 nowt up. Going 9 points clear with a goal difference that is vastly superior to Rangers. What a job the big man has done"

"I thought this was a joke in the summer but the fellas done a good job here"

"24 games unbeaten now in the league."

"His next job will be at a very significant European club id have thought"

"Have to hold my hands up. I thought this was a stupid appointment by Celtic. It looked like they were desperate after missing out on Howe. But he has done a good job. The squad he inherited was a joke. They look much better and have made a few decent signings. Especially the Japanese lads."

"He'd have been a better manager than Simon f***ing Grayson that's for sure!"

"I f***ing love when threads like this are bumped and I haven't posted utter drivel when * so can just sit back and enjoy the idiocy."

"Big Ange with his 1st title for Celtic or his 55th using the Rangers calculator"

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/ange-postecoglou.1551932/

19. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    We really need a big target man who can get on the end of most of our crosses.

If I was Ange I'd be taking a look at Kyle Lafferty at Kilmarnock.

20. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Hope ur fooking joking?!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Belgian_lad likes this.