1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Dec 3, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Totally in agreement when it comes to January business. Love getting players in but I do get worried that we make too many sales. Especially if we lost both JJ and GG this window, it would be a shock for the club overall. Then you have to bed the other guys in. It's a worry.

EddieBhoy1986 likes this.
  2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If players want out then in the long term they can cause more damage by staying, even for half a season. As long as replacements come in then it isn't an issue. We already have another left back in, and rumours circulating as a replacement if GG does go. We've prepared for it and I think that is the most important thing.

3. EddieBhoy1986

It can long term but this sqaud are a good bunch of lads, I can't see Jura for example causing contention if we asked him to wait until Summer for a move. He said it himself - he is happy here so if something happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

One of the advantages of Anges no arseholds policy. Of course if we then go back on our word and don't get them a move in the summer as promised, the players may (rightly) start to feel less charitable toward the club and that can become a problem.

4. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    A lot of people are believing that JJ and GG will be sold this window. It might well be the case that we're planning to move them on in the summer, and we're just looking to get their replacents signed and bedded in now.

marty89 likes this.
  5. EddieBhoy1986

That's what I'm hoping, like we did with Tam and Matt O'Riley.

6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think JJ is gone in Janaury. I think it's a foregone conclusion.

GG, I can't see him going this window unless we get a large fee for him, £10m plus or something. I'd expect to see him move on in the summer. I think we could be seeing two or three first teamers moving on in the next 2 windows. JJ, GG and O'Riley could be for the off.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He gets it

9. Lewis Kerr

You just know he'll be pals with O'Riley, Jenz, Jota, Starfelt etc.

10. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Johnston deleted " 'We' will be playing at the paradise " to Big Vic.....Wonder why did he delete it?

Vic is coming home then?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Gazzi79 likes this.
  12. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Obviously someone is lying said Ali deleted it

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

13. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

New signing Celtic Alistair Johnston has been compared to Manchester United hero Gary Neville by his former coach.

The 24-year-old became Ange Postecoglou's side's second signing ahead of the opening of the January transfer window.

He put pen to paper on a five-and-a-half-year deal with the Parkhead side.

Johnston's move to the Premiership champions marks another big step-up in a journey that saw him initially come up through the youth ranks at League 1 Ontario side Vaughan SC.

His old boss Patrice Gheisar, who runs the club's high performance programme as well as its first team, has loved watching the right-back's career progress.

And he feels the Canadian international bares a resemblance to the former England international.

Speaking to Football Scotland, he said: "I think if you read Sir Alex Ferguson's book, he always said that one of his most loyal players to him was Gary Neville.

"That if Gary Neville was a second quicker, he would have been one of the top full-backs and that if he was two inches taller, he would have been one of the top centre-backs.

"But in today's world, those kind of players that we call hybrids have become very celebrated, so for me he is a version of Gary Neville - someone extremely reliable and consistent, and someone who can play full-back and centre-back.

Ghiesar also detailed the traits that the 24-year-old has which he feels will help him go to the every top.

He's a coach's dream because that way you can play a back three, you can play a back five," he continued.

"He gives you choices when there are problems, whereas generally when there are problems you have to make substitutions to fix it."

"But in today's world, those kind of players that we call hybrids have become very celebrated, so for me he is a version of Gary Neville - someone extremely reliable and consistent, and someone who can play full-back and centre-back."

14. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Gary Neville couldn’t lace His boots

15. Foley1888

I think JJ is definitely going to be leaving, not as sure on GG he may be more likely in the summer but I think we will lose a minimum of 4 first team regulars between now and the summer and probably not take up Jenz option to buy unless there is a marked improvement.

On GG I can’t see the £6m being an accurate figure it will be at least close to £10m you would have to think and even then someone is getting a bang on form in his prime centre forward. He has his limitations but is a handful and a very good scoring rate from his time at Venlo and proved it wasn’t a fluke by doing it again with us.

Overall the time we shift some of those we have out on loan and those that want away I believe we will be in a very strong position to strengthen our squad further as long as we finish the job and win the league.

It might be the individual players we sign aren’t as good as O’Riley when we get them but we get two or three much closer to that level so when we need to make changes or rotate it is more like for like. Also they improve substantially playing for us.

Johnston for Juranovic probably fits this description too. Where we buy someone for around £3m and he replaces a £15m player.
    Johnston isn’t as good as Juranovic but has potential to reach that level quickly and we have £12m to invest in other areas of the team.

I still think longer term to kick on a better Goalkeeper (Hart has been great for us but if we are nit picking is a position we could improve on to fit the system), a good on the ball CB to play with CCV (maybe Kobayashi but he will need to settle in), better rotation options for starting midfield 3, a right winger and possibly another Striker could all bring the level of this team up. That’s not slagging those there at the moment but just if we are striving to get better where I see the obvious opportunities.

RabS likes this.
  16. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Gary Neville is a *.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

When the opportunity came for Alistair Johnston to sign for Celtic, he knew immediately that it was the right move for him.

And speaking at Celtic Park today (Monday), the Canadian internationalist described the move as ‘a match made in heaven.’

The 24-year-old defender has signed a five-year deal with the Scottish champions, joining from MLS side, CF Montreal, and met up with his new team-mates for the first time today as Ange Postecoglou’s side returned to Lennoxtown to begin preparations for the resumption of the Premiership this weekend.

The Hoops, who are nine points clear at the top of the table, will head to Pittodrie on Saturday to take on Aberdeen.

And while Johnston won’t be available for selection until the start of January, he’s excited to be a Celtic player and is looking forward to training with the squad.

“My entire childhood was waking up and watching Premier League and Champions League and, of course, seeing Celtic in some of those big nights,” he explained.

“And for me it’s always been one of those clubs that I’ve always been drawn to. I always look at it like this, if there’s a full slate of games going on in the Champions League, and Celtic’s playing at home, I want to watch the Celtic match.

“It doesn’t matter who they’re playing, just to see the atmosphere. You can just tell how much more it means to this fanbase and what those European nights are like.

“We’ve also got a couple of players with the national team who have played in Scotland and they’ve just said, the league’s a blast and obviously Celtic is the cream of the crop in the league, so I’ve only heard glowing reviews and it’s kind of cool to finally live out that childhood fantasy.

'It’s been hectic, and I’ve tweeted about it a couple of times. But it’s no joke, the Celtic fans nearly broke my phone – just the outpouring of love has been pretty crazy.'

“That, doubled up with being at a World Cup at the same time, was really just a crazy time in my life.

“But I’m super-excited to get here. Everyone’s been so warm and welcoming. Even in the city-centre, just walking around, people have been coming up and saying ‘Congratulations, mate. You’ve signed for the biggest club in the world!’ So it’s been a pretty unique and special welcome.”

The Canadian defender also explained that Ange Postecoglou was a massive factor in his decision to come to Celtic, and having spoken to the Celtic manager, he’s looking forward to working with him on the training pitch and in games come the second half of the season.

“For myself, that relationship you have with the manager, you want to make sure you’re not going somewhere where you’re going just for the name, but you also want to go somewhere you’re truly wanted and you’re in their plans,” he said.

'I’ve been told that nothing’s going to be given, everything’s got to be earned and I think that’s something all young, aspiring footballers want – just an opportunity.'

“That’s something which this coaching staff has been very strong about – that we’re trying to play a certain way and to bring in some young, talented players that have an edge to them.

“I think I fit that mould but the other two right-backs do as well, so I think it’ll be great. So I’m just here to fight for my place and hopefully earn some minutes.

“And just by talking to the manager, you can see how much he knows about the game, how much he cares for giving young players an opportunity and also how he’s done with his recruiting.

“Hopefully I can be another one in that long line of players that he’s brought over who have shown not only Scotland but all of Europe that they can play.”

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    tarboltontim and Wllm like this.
  18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

20. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Eddie, Ajer and Christie all said they were happy the season before leaving. Means nothing really, they're not going to come out and say they're raging and risk playing time harming their chances of a future move. End of the day by leaving it to the summer we risk his value dropping significantly. January is the perfect time to sell as the WC will still be fresh in clubs minds when buying. Plus we've got 2 very capable right backs to see out the season in the SPFL.