1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Dec 3, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Would be well deserved

Rydo1888* likes this.
  2. Sean Treacy

Totally deserves an upgraded contracted-as does Reo and CCV by the way.
    He did struggle initially last season but, like a few others, came good at business end of the season.
    Would like to see him rested at weekend-its a rank Jambos and AR more that capable of slotting in.
    As for future captain-maybe, he has most attributes required but for another day I guess.

3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Reo and CCV both got upgraded contracts

Bangarangura and Sean Treacy like this.
  4. Sean Treacy

Recently? I was under impression the CCV was on 24K and Reo on only 16K

5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    CCV signed a new one at the start of the year. Reo signed a new one last year

Sean Treacy likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just came across this news.
    If true, excellent and deserved.
    Get him up to the 25k range and if he keeps performing and wants a new deal in s couple years he can go over 30k.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

buchanbhoy likes this.
  7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Training this morning there on sky Sports news as was CCV

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

9. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    New bionic legs fited apparently.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has provided a fitness update on Celtic full-back Alistair Johnston ahead of Saturday's Scottish Premiership encounter against Hearts at Celtic Park.

The defender was substituted at half-time against the USA in the first of Canada's two friendlies during the international break, missing the second match against Mexico earlier this week entirely.

At the time, Canada manager Jesse Marsch suggested the omission was precautionary, with Johnston having felt tightness in his hamstring

Johnston trained on Friday with his teammates, and when asked about Johnston's fitness ahead of Celtic's return to domestic action this weekend, Rodgers said: "Jesse [Marsch] was sensible with Ali in terms of how he felt in the game. They took him off and sent him back. It was just a precaution, really.

"He had similar going into the Rangers game. We were able to protect him and he's travelled, gone away, felt a little bit of tightness, and [Canada] managed him really well.

We brought him back and he's trained well."

eire4 likes this.
  13. PaddyJamieson

I'd still rest him for Bratislava on Wednesday to be honest. Give Valle a run at RB.

cidermaster likes this.
  14. Bad Ambassador

Fav Celtic Player:
    Landry
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I reckon its worth it. Full backs are underrated for how useful they are and he is all round superb player for us. I think his agent will ask for atleasr 35k per week to extend his contract and thats a fair deal imo

MynameisEarl and cidermaster like this.
  15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Be a kick in the teeth to Ralston that.

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

A word on Alistair (Johnston) as there are reports about contract negotiations with him and his representatives. First of all, is that the case and how important would it be for him to extend his stay?

There is nothing that I am aware of. We would love to have him here for as long as we possibly can. He has three-and-a-half years left on his deal and he is playing ever so well. He has his power, strength and running ability and he is in a really good place. Naturally, as a manager we want him to be here but that is something that is between his representatives and the club.

Can I ask you about Alistair as you will have worked with a lot of top full-backs in your time? Is he showing signs that he can be one of the top ones that you have worked with going forward with the way he has been playing?

There is no doubt. He possesses so many qualities. His hunger to win and he has robustness and power and strength. He is hard to beat on a one-on-one and he now totally understands how I want to work and he can release himself. He can march and go forward and test the mentality of his marker and you see it now he is also scoring goals and creating goals. Ultimately, he can defend well and he has that hunger to defend. He is a really good guy and I am really enjoying working with him and he will still get better. If you think of his journey back home in the MLS and to here and being an international player, he is only going to improve and I can see that in him during my time here

17. PaddyJamieson

Aye, but it's why we brought Valle in, to play games. I know he's a left back by trade but played right back for Barca, and if we're resting Johnston I want the best quality to come and cover for him.

Bad Ambassador likes this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

We brought in Valle as a left back. People are basing his ability to play there comfortably from 1 friendly match, which granted was impressive, but played LB all last season for Levante and LB the season before for Barca B.

Ralston plays for me. He's actually a natural there.

martin_d likes this.
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

The manager, though, didn’t reserve his praise only for those who have come through the ranks in the East End of Glasgow.

He also waxed lyrical when asked about a player who was raised over 7,000km from Celtic Park, Canadian internationalist, Alistair Johnston

The manager said: “He possesses so many qualities – his hunger to win, he has a robustness, his power, his strength and he is hard to beat in one-v-one.

“And he now totally understands how I want him to work, so he is now able to release himself, and can march, he can go forward and test the mentality of his marker.

“And you see him now, he’s scoring goals and creating goals. But, ultimately, he can defend well.

“He has that hunger to defend, and he’s a really good guy, so I really enjoy working with him, and he will still only get better.

“When you think of his journey back home, and then in the MLS, and then to here and being an international player, so he’s only going to improve and I can see that in him in my time here.”

eire4 likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question IMHO if there is any doubt about Johnston for tomorrow than Ralston should be starting. He has performed well when called upon. I see no reason to not play him if needed.

Zander likes this.