1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Dec 3, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Would rather keep him, he knows what it means to play here. We need some players in the squad that know this..

His Euro experience was a tough one for him, but one that will make him a better player.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Outstanding my bhoy. That is actually some going, there’s some brilliant full backs in that tournament

4. kenniemk2

Anyone know how much we would have got with him being away until the semis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. T.Rogne25

I think he’s really kicked on since specifically the 2-1 win at Fir Park, he’s always solid defensively but his delivery has been much better.

Thought he was rotten the first half of the season after missing pre season.

6. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I really rate AJ, not the player JJ was, but still a very solid option at RB. If we had a player like him on the left we'd be golden.

Crilly likes this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has revealed Alistair Johnston will sit out Celtic’s transatlantic tour after the Canada star’s Copa America heroics.

The Hoops ace has starred across the pond this summer as the Canucks stormed to the last four of the competition. Johnston’s side were eventually put out by Argentina but will face a third-place play-off against Uruguay

Rodgers had originally planned to have the full back on board for the USA jaunt – where Celtic will face DC United, Manchester City and Chelsea – but has now told the 26-year-old to stick the feet up and rejoin the squad when they return to Glasgow at the end of the month. The Parkhead gaffer said: “Incredibly, his season is still going. It’s absolutely brilliant

He’s got obviously one more game to go at the weekend and then he’ll have a breather. He had a plan and we were probably anticipating that they might not have got to where they were.

“So he would have had to meet us there. But no, we’ll allow him to have a rest and then bring him back and then he’ll be ready to join us for the last week. He’s had a really good tournament and we’ll see him when we come back from America.”

Rodgers was delighted with Johnston’s contribution for the Hoops last season and he’s convinced the defender will kick on again after starring for his national side against the likes of Lionel Messi over the summer. He said: “He’s done very well. He’s been great. He really showed in the second part of the season for us that power and dominance and was really good.
    He’s obviously settled into the club very well. He’s continued that and obviously he’s done great for (Canada boss) Jesse Marsch against these countries.

Crilly likes this.
  9. Foley1888

The way things are going someone will come in and sign him to add to the cash pile.

10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

CANADA assistant Ewan Sharp has lauded Celtic right-back Alistair Johnston for his performances on the park in the Copa America in the United States and his influence off it.

The Canucks, who had never taken part in the South American Championship before, were installed as 60-1 outsiders by bookmakers before the tournament got underway last month.

However, Johnston and his countrymen beat Peru 1-0 and drew 0-0 with Chile in the group stages to qualify for the knockout rounds and then defeated Venezuela on penalties in their quarter-final last week.

Jesse Marsch’s side were beaten 2-0 by world champions Argentina in the semi-final on Tuesday night – but they can finish in third place if they defeat Uruguay in the play-off this evening.

Stirling-born Sharp, who has previously worked as a coach at New York Red Bulls, Lokomotiv Moscow, Manchester United and Leeds United, feels Johnston has been integral to their success.

“I didn’t know Alistair personally before,” said the Scot. “I have just got to know him over the time we have spent here. He is great. He is a fantastic person.

“He is always talking, you can see that the guys really like him and that he is a big character in the dressing room and the meal room. He has been brilliant.

I have enjoyed asking him about his experiences in Scotland and different things like. It has been great having him around. He has had a really good tournament as well. We are really lucky we to have him as a part of things.”

Marsch only appointed Sharp, who he had previously worked alongside at New York Red Bulls and Leeds United, back in May and the 31-year-old has been fully focused on the Copa America since.

But the former Stirling Albion and East Stirling youth has admitted that he is looking forward to returning to Scotland to watch Johnston – and other Canadian footballers who are based in his homeland - play for Celtic in the season ahead

It has been a busy couple of months trying to get ready for the tournament and then being involved in the tournament,” he said. “It has all happened so fast. I will find out how it all shapes up in the next few months.

“It has not felt different to a club because we started two weeks before the tournament. It was straight into camp and then the tournament. I am sure it will feel a bit different in the coming months.

“But I have already said to Alistair that I will definitely come to Glasgow to see him play. We have also got a few others players who have been playing in Scotland, Theo Bair and Harry Paton at Motherwell and Junior Hoilett at Aberdeen. There are a few other guys we have looked at who are playing in Scotland. It will be good to get back home and see them in action

11. jvalin

Not cool being photographed holding the shirt of an apartheid state, much less in the midst of a genocide.

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Good thing it's a Charlotte FC kit then eh :giggle1:

13. jvalin

My bad. Similar colours. I stand corrected.

Zander likes this.
  14. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I hope he gets a good rest.

He had an average start to last season but came on to a real good game towards the end of the season back to the standards of his first six months with us.

The best defending right back we have had for years and I include Juranovic in that statement.

If we give him a good two to three weeks off and then ease him back in then I have high hopes for him this coming season.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think his start last season correlates to having had surgery last summer.

greengrocer likes this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

18. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He’s well punching

19. henriks tongue

Love AJ, will eventually be an absolute legend here like Lustig.

20. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    The luxury of a top level footballer (jammy *)

AdamRS likes this.