1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Dec 3, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    All over the place. They targeted him today particularly given the 3 hun goals at Ipox came from his side.

Thought he was well off it at their goal.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. Pogues

I didnae see that at all tbh. Got caught ball watching for the header and also silva got on the end of a loose ball that could have went anywhere when he went through and shot wide. Apart from that I thought Johnston got the better of silva, particularly early doors.
    Was at the game and I've not watched it back so I might be completely wrong.

murphy88 and greengrocer like this.
  3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Made that Silva look like Samaras today, got involved in too much of a battle with him probably as he pushed him a few times, seemed to get too close to him, also got caught out 2/3 times when Silva came in between him and CCV, was late to pick him up.

First time in a hun game i've felt someone got the better of him, usually he's like man against boy.

NewcastleBhoy likes this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I was at the game and Silva rinsed Johnston constantly.

Biggest surprise was Silva seemed not to be throwing himself to the ground all the time.

5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Think personally today was all on taylor and scales for their goal

BhoyFitz and murphy88 like this.
  6. NewcastleBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Back home in Derry
    Like A Johnston but right...needs to read game better n know when to stand off or get tight...he's a good RB n will get better

7. Pogues

Seriously? Apart from the two incidents I mentioned I cannae mind silva getting the better of Johnston at any point. I'll need to watch the game back.

8. NewcastleBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Back home in Derry
    Ur right.. as much as like scales/Taylor..for them to play together the CB has to be better than Taylor due to height to bail him out and unless LS moves to next level or new LB then don't see it working

greengrocer likes this.
  9. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Gt was pushed aside. Scales was wondering where he was. Shocking defending

BhoyFitz likes this.
  10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Was more a few things like them going up for balls and Johnston heading it out, or Silva running inside him and recieving a pass and him slow to react. Out the like 7/8 long balls to Silva they played he probably got the better of Johnston 4/5 times, then the couple of times he ran inside and Johnston was caught.

Not really Silva running at him and skinning him or anything.

Part of it maybe he was isolated a lot, Forrest never really done any defending and even O'Riley I barely remember being near Johnston, think it's cause all their "attacks" were the long ball so our players were always up the park.

He definitely had a poor game.

Coming into the game you'd think Johnston will dominate Silva, he's soft, not that quick, slack and Johnston is usually solid, sharp and strong but the battle was probably 60-40 to Silva.

Pogues likes this.
  11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Pogues likes this.
  12. NewcastleBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Back home in Derry
    Wasn't just getting better of him...he was in front of johnston good few times n better team/better ball would have been goal

13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    In his defence, that Silva actually played well the day, was dangerous and positive. Couldn't have been an easy task for AJ to be fair.

Doesn't take away from his poor form most of the season, just taking it in context. Still got high hopes for him, if he's willing to listen and improve instead of talking * 24/7.

14. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He was signed to be an inverted fullback and excelled at that last season (as did Taylor) but the overlapping role here with Rodgers doesnt suit him as much (same with Taylor) so he's suffered a bit for that. He still gives it everything every game a d we gave more important players especially to upgrade on than RB

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'd honestly consider selling him now while his stock is relatively high from the world Cup and Anges term.. we should get decent money and get someone that suits Rodgers style and system to replace him.. I'm quite happy with Raldo as back up.

Only fear would be our board replacing him with some tart from the Afghanistan second division.

Hes been one of our worst performers this season..

BhoyFitz likes this.
  16. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Watched the game back. He wasn't actually that bad. Silva nipped in front of him once, got a lucky bounce of the ball and got a break on him at one point in the 2nd half but that was about it. Wouldn't say Silva got the better of him tbh.

AJ hasn't really hit the heights he's capable of this season but I think folk exaggerate about his performances.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Don’t think he played badly at all, the diving * played well more than AJ being poor.

18. ardis1967

we all laugh at him but there is a reason why Wolves paid all that money for Silva.

I do like AJ but I don't like how often he stands off wingers when they cross the ball. With how weak we are at dealing with balls into the back post area we will get destroyed in Europe if he keeps doing it. I wouldn't be against looking at a new RB to be honest but it's definitely not at the top of the transfer list

19. murphy88

Aye that’s what I thought as well. He was poor for the Silva header early on, but apart from that he didn’t get much out of Johnston. The way some were going on you would think he roasted him the full game, which wasn’t the case. The goal he cannot do a thing about as I’m not sure where Forrest is, but he wasn’t tracking Barisic, that’s for sure.

Pogues, Wllm and charlietully like this.
  20. henriks tongue

Not a very high bar, but Silva was most dangerous rangers player and threatened to give AJ a hard time by going on his blind side several times - but he and rangers ultimately/thankfully weren't up to it.
    AJ at fault if Silva scores early as opposed to diving for a penalty.
    For rangers goal, they were 2 on 1 so it's a simple overload and nothing AJ could do - Forrest / Oreilly didn't track back.
    One of AJ poorer games for Celtic in my view, but he still gives everything and can improve.