1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Discuss Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Sometimes teams are just that much better than you. Set up like Jose morinho would and we can keep the score down, but I'd rather have a go and lose personally.

Mickmac likes this.
  2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Rodgers recognised that the team needs more pace and power and we did add Engels and Idah but still a long way to go. LB and CDM should be top priorities if we want to see any progression on Europe.

3. KEANO1

I can appreciate teams being better than us and I’m sure everyone can.

I can also appreciate we are not good enough to have a go need to give yourself a chance to be competitive by acknowledging the difference. We haven’t worked this out for years.

Your point to Jose Mourinho, correct me if I’m wrong but he’s done ok in European competitions playing that way with 5 or so European trophies…

4. Harry Caray

I mean my definition of not being interested in something must be different as I wouldn't be commenting anything about them but nevermind

5. tuna_matata

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andreas Hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Come on you Bhoys in Green
    Most concerning thing for me is the usual 'we will learn from our mistakes' but continue to play our game from Rodgers. After the first couple of minutes when they broke our press and got in behind with a couple of passes I knew it would be a long night but to get demolished 7 going on double figures is hard to forgive. Rodgers needs to adapt fast as every single one of the teams we play including Young Boys and Brugge will identify this and punish us.

6. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I still have full confidence in our system and way to play. It has all to do with quality of players in the backline. If we had CCV, and another CB as good as him, and a quality LB, we would instantly skyrocket in quality from the back. We are just to weak there and don't have the quality to play our way out.

7. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Oh well it's a new day good morning all. A bad night by all accounts but we move on and better learn from it . Still 6 games to go and let's get behind the team.

Skelleto, CFC and Hope N Ur Heart like this.
  8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Suppose I worded that badly, because aye they can. But I don’t think they will.

JML67 likes this.
  9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Surely this is this last straw and the reality has finally hit the management that we HAVE to go into these games set up extremely defensively, we cannot go toe to toe with teams like this away from home. Everyone gets excited about splashing £10 million on a striker or attacking midfielder but I’d like to see us spend big on the defence and that includes a CDM of the likes of Wanyama.

We need to go into these games very defensively set up with a strong defence. We had neither of them last night and got embarrassed again. It might not be the ‘Celtic Way’ but neither is getting our pants pulled down and having our arses spanked in front of the whole of Europe for everyone to see.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

You can have a go without being cannon fodder though. Setting up to be hard to play through doesn't mean your parking the bus.

singer61 and 88jimmij88 like this.
  11. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I'd add to that another CCV level CB. It won't happen given what we spend on Trusty (not to mention what we wasted on CBs last season) but we need a really solid 2 CBs for Europe, especially considering how Rodgers wants to play.

Still very early days, but any evidence supporting Trusty being that guy is... lacking.

12. celtic warrior

See the squad Dortmund have got there.

I'm not saying they are the best in all of Europe but we are the St Johnstone to their Celtic in terms of finances.

Their weekly payroll for the host of talent they have is €2mill a week!

Domestically we are completely incapable of ever achieving that, even with regular season on season CL participation, we are never going to have the finances available to amass a squad that allows us to relatively compete at the CL level.

Guirassy is supposedly one in excess of £100k a week just for starters.

I know I know people will say but we shouldn't lose regardless to any team 7-1. And your right.

The common theme here is Rodgers and he needs to understand he can not compete at this level using a squad built in Scotland and his ideals

honda and Gurru 991 like this.
  13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I understand what you’re saying but it is kinda difficult to say we can’t compete against CL teams due to not having as much cash when we will have over 100m sat in the bank come the end of the season. All more money would do for us is boost our bank balance tbh.

We have also been beaten many times in Europe by teams with allot less resources aswell.

John Bhoy79 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As others have said, they done to us what we would to a Ross county or a St Johnston.

Even a Falkirk.

In that sort of analogy, we are the Falkirk and Dortmund was the Celtic.

We tried to play our game, but when it really came down to it, they blew us away.

Now if Falkirk want to keep playing their game (which we would all have said then should and because of how they play they deserve to come up again), then Falkirk aren't gonna go out and buy a whole new squad, but they will need to buy better defenders to allow them to soak up more pressure and be smarter to the bigger teams (us).

We need to do the same.

2 of our 9 defenders would be deemed acceptable for UCL level (for us). That's just not good enough.

Need a true equal for CCV and then a third option, then Scales to be the 4th choice.
    That was the case last season and with a switch of names has been the case for years.

Til we actually address the blatant short comings of our defence, we will continue to get hammered by the bigger clubs, while being absolutely fine against the lesser sides in the tournament.
    I believe we've stepped up enough to get through this league phase, but not enough to make a mark on the tournament.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

15. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Dortmund have more to spend than Stuttgart too but Stuttgart still managed to batter them 5-1 a few weeks ago. We may well still end up losing should we ever finally implement a sensible and solid defensive gameplan but at least we could avoid being shown-up.

singer61 likes this.
  16. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We managed two shots on target, our goal wasn't even a shot, could have conceded double figures if it wasn't for Schmeichel. I wouldn't exactly call that having a go.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Whilst this is true it doesn't really wash for me anymore.

Not when you have the Huns going there in 2022 and winning 4-2 with a BVB side that was arguably better than this one. There's other examples too of sides at our supposed level or even below punching above their weight.

For me the excuse of us not having as much money only goes so far when defending skuddings like that. The players we had on the park whilst not as good overall as BVB's, should not be losing in that manner. Bochum go there on the weekend and give them a proper game and lose 4-2...stuttgart thump them 5-1. Not saying the latter aren't a good side either but I'm a bit fed up with the finances excuse.

It will eventually show and prevent us from going deep into competitions but thumpings like that shouldn't be happening. The players we have are hardly junior level, we have a lot of internationals and good footballers on paper who seem to just melt in these games. We have this bizarre habit of conceding quick flurries of goals like no other side. 94 seconds after conceding we go down again.

The majority of those goals last night come from us being utterly idiotic rather than their overwhelming quality. These teams can be competed against but the tactics and mentality need to improve.

singer61 likes this.
  18. celtic warrior

Yeah and Hearts cleaned us out 4-0 to end our unbeaten streak under Rodgers, Real Madrid have probably had some shocking losses but in the same season win the CL.

PSG ran all over Barca only for Barca to turn it around in the next and knock them in that historic game. Mental results happen.

19. celtic warrior

Then for me more needs to be pointed towards Rodgers for constantly trying to go toe to toe.

He is the common theme between skuddings because he refuses to change his ideal of how his team should play despite the quality in front of them.

For all intents and purposes, he instructs, players follow. He needs to try something different because whatever he thinks on how we should play he is literally the definition of madness when it comes to CL

20. ddub11

If we dont have the quality then we shouldnt play the system we do.Its simple really but rdgers insists on playing this system while we dont have the quality players,so whats the answer?....dont play the * system.