1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Lovely, lovely football.

I don't care what happens against the likes of Dortmund and Atalanta (a few more windows like the last and we'll be good enough that I'll start to care; but for now, I don't think we're ready); but keep up this kind of football domestically and do well against our peer competitors (Bratislava, Young Boys and Zagreb) and I'll start to fall in love again.

stew37 likes this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. Big C

I listened to Brendan’s interview, doesn’t sound too hopeful for CCV.

4. murphy88

Everyone still bored of the football?

This is the best football we have played in a long time. It’s every bit as good as Ange’s style going forward, with a better structure defensively.

5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    It's definitely getting close. Consistency this season has been good, other than the Hearts game. Still not as exciting as Ange's first season for me but if we get any type of result on Tuesday I might start to consider that.

6. saltire78

Angeball was better in regards to pure entertainment because it was an exercise in Shock and Awe written large upon teams. This is different, in that it feels more clinical and strategic... It feels like someone crunched the numbers in an exercise in Lean and Optimised System and we're enacting a project to Eliminate Waste, and now we're moving into the fine tuning portion...

I'm very worried that I'm getting carried away too quickly, or leaving myself open to getting rolled over by management/players leaving or the board doing it's usually about-face, but it really feels like we're going for the next phase this time... We've all talked this "good game" for so long now it feels like a danger we're inventing it in our own heads at this point... :56:

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Best football I've seen imo.

We are getting consistent 90 min performances pretty much. Subs seamlessly coming in too.

Don't even look like conceding. For me at the moment it beats ange.

Crilly, BigManSmalls, Damnati and 3 others like this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Get where you are coming from but Ange was 2 full seasons of brilliant football.

9. stew37

We push up much faster than anything I've seen in all my years. Scales today again was absolutely relentless.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I actually prefer watching this to peak Ange. I love all these quick, neat, intelligent interchanges, it's a joy to watch. I don't know how to explain it, but Ange's team only went 2 or 3 layers deep with the fast stuff before it needed to reset and the move would either slow down or get less structured. What I mean by that is not that they only managed 2- or 3-pass passing sequences, but rather that players were making runs or passes in anticipation of where the move would be 2 or 3 passes ahead.

At times, this Rodgers team really seems to me to go 4 or 5 layers deep in that sense and it's fascinating to watch how when we do achieve that level, no one domestically can cope with it. It's also very beautiful.

thailandceltic likes this.
  11. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I agree it's not as 'exciting' as peak Angeball, but that's partly because there was always the risk of conceding pretty much any time that team went out. It's still far more exciting than the football played in Rodgers' first tenure, incomparably so. Love watching us play.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    You have to take it at face value though.

The football we are currently.playing is for me, better than that under him. Whether we keep it up remains to be seen but in the here and now its the best, again I caveat, in my opinion.

I'd argue whether it was 2 full seasons. His 2nd was certainly the peak though.

Random Review and NomDePlum like this.
  13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I dunno man. We're playing with that intensity of ange but throwing in some more direct passing also...which is defo never been a Rodgers thing. Lovely chip through balls.
    Rodgers has defo changed things up in his style and approach.

And this is in no way a dig at ange. Love his style and even things like down to throw ins..should be the way. And was really exciting to see football the celtic way considering the mess he inherited.
    But...now that things have clicked and has since about March. Preseason was excellent too.
    Just really needs to carry this mentality into Europe. No stupid brain farts at the start or end of a game..like we always do. Keep the heid and pass it about with intent and we will at least give a good showing which is all you can ask for. Too many times we've * the bed and looked foolish. If we get beat and show up? Can handle that.
    Apologies for the digression. It's been an exciting night of sexy football and beers.
    Stupid * me..up in 5 hours for work and no chance I'll be sleepy anytime soon

Mr Shelby likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Genuine question, what hasn't been as exciting abouf the performances so far this season?

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    In all honesty preferred the first Ange season. Thought he became less attacking in the second.

If we are talking about individual games and not seasons I'd still say some of the games under Ange were much more exciting, better football and enjoyable for me.

Night game against the Huns for instance. Magnificent, but Ross County game too was very special. Rodgers hasn't come close to those for me.

But just my opinion, brilliant you are enjoying this season so much. Football has definitely taken a step up from last season.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t give a * about comparing the two, I love where we are just now.

Talking down neither of the teams to compare one as better or not. We’re also early doors this season but right now? I’m * excited. We’re on the brink of something that feels great just now.

thailandceltic and NomDePlum like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    If we’re talking brilliant football, Lennon’s 352 9 in a row season is right up there as well.

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Not my question but going to answer it anyway.

We expect to win. And given we spent £20m on 2 players that's what should be happening.

Anges first season was more exciting as some of the games we won we had no right to win.

thailandceltic likes this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Now you are comparing the three :56::56::56:

So much for your previous post. Thought you were getting old and sensible for a moment.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I get what you’re meaning here, the circumstances of that season, the state we were in, the turnaround, the depleted squad sometimes ended up with Turnbull up front, the grit the emerging brilliant football then we hit January and got Maeda, MOR and Hatate and * me. It was special, and exciting as * in another way because we were fighting back from on our knees