1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum

Maybe so bud, although I said it at the time as I believed it to be true.

Great intensity under Ange, fast paced attacking football and brilliant work rate off the ball.

To me however, it lacked control and organisation. It looked to be a bit chaotic and off the cuff.

Off the ball that is. There were clear attacking patterns that we seen repeated time after time.

martin_d likes this.
  2. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yeah I wasn't one directing abuse towards him but I did think at one point he should walk as I felt he was never turning it around. I failed to take into account he's managed at the top level (and for good reason), and not only has he turned it around, he's made us even better.

Your post is spot on.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  3. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I think he has took what Ange done and adapted it, under Rodgers before we were quite tedious in our play, all about possession and patience, now it has a bit more penetration and urgency at the right times, its not all out attack but less tedious.

4. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    He's got us so so well drilled and dangerous as an attacking unit.

These wide overloads often see us with 3 players on one wing attacking at the same time which just causes mayhem for opposition defences .

Hatate often drifts out left or runs in behind ahead of Maeda on that wing with Taylor also supporting our there .

Engels does the same on the right pretty consistently , joining Kuhn and Johnston. (MOR before him )

We get so much joy from these positions , options with triangles , you can go down the line early to the most advanced runner (Often Hatate or Engels ) , inside slightly if the full backs have inverted , inside to the CM , or the winger can just take his man on as the CMs and full backs have dragged people away leaving the winger with one man, space and time to take the man on and carry the ball into the box/byline. Creates space , time , and options in the attacking third time and time again . The CM that hasn't drifted out wide is always available edge of the box , opposite winger back post attacking potential crosses , with Kyogo in there sniffing aswell. Options , Options , Options.

Add to this that he has now made Kyogo extremely adept at coming short as well as going in behind , we really are a * unpredictable , constantly moving nightmare for defences .
    We can score goals playing narrow balls through the middle, shooting from distance of from either flank. Seen plenty of evidence of all these types of goals and opportunities this season.

Oh , and now Engels is on corners we're actually scoring from them now aswell.

A lot of that we saw under Ange obviously but Brendan has added those mentioned elements to it and actually fine tuned it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 12:30 AM
    Hammy89 and Creativecelt like this.
  5. Martybhoy53

Gavin Berry(hun lickspittle) from the Daily * reporting that “Ange will be sacked before Xmas and BR favourite to replace him…….”

:blahblah1:blahblah1:blahblah1:blahblah1:blahblah1:blahblah1:blahblah1

seamus1967 likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. kenniemk2

Rodgers can’t stand levy they tried before when Rodgers was at peak of his powers at leicster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Its actually the other way around, according to Spurs fans I know.

The spurs board was very keen, as was Levy for Rodgers, but he knocked them back on favour of Liverpool.

Apparently this irked Levy no end, and when the board moved for him again while he was at Leicester, (apparently Rodgers was keen), Levy made it known he didnt want Rodgers, it was a board decision , and he was basically refusing to forgive the previous knock back... Causing Rodgers to stay put.

If Spurs do sack Ange, which would be utter madness imo, theres literally no one else out there; Rodgers is really the only candidate.

Arne Slot knocked them back to stay at Feynoord, only to * himself for the Liverpool post. The Spurs managerial post is a poison chalice, with ridiculously entitled supporters expecting success overnight for each new manager.

As i said, who else to Spurs go for? Theres a reason they moved for Ange in the first place, not only his sterling reputation, but he was "gettable".

The likes of Conte, Pochetinno, etc wont he seen at Spurs again for a very long time. So Rodgers is the only viable option, unless the roll the dice with Potter, who is a vastly inferior manager to Rodgers.

So... IF Spurs are dumb enough to let Ange go, and IF Levy can bury his ego regarding Rodgers... Hes gone.

Sorry. I refused to believe either Rodgers or Ange would leave us when the rumors started. Ive learned my lesson.
    If Spurs come in for Rodgers, he'll be out the door sharpish. We need to start succession planning; not as a matter of urgency, but as a matter of goid governance.

That crackpot league down south run through managers like J Lo through husbands. They gave Slippy g a job ffs. We need to be a constant state of preparation for if and when they lure our managers away.

11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Dont think appointing another Celtic manager again would go down well there

LectersLuncheon, Hammy89 and Damnati like this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think they're different situations. All Ange's achievements were in leagues the English regard as poor: Australia, Japan, Scotland. He did nothing at all in the CL (perhaps understandably) and next to nothing in the EL and Conference League (less understandably). He has one OKish season in the bank with Spurs against whatever happens this season. I think Ange is a much better manager than that, but it's what English fans see when they look at him.

Rodgers, on the other hand, has won an FA Cup and been runner up in the EPL and has only really had maybe 2 bad seasons down there (his final seasons for Leicester and maybe Liverpool) to set against so many good ones. It's also worth noting that getting 5th with Leicester (twice) is a bigger achievement than doing it (once) with Spurs. He has a lot more credit in the bank in England than Ange.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 8:02 PM
  13. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    He needs to bring thru a second and third team with academy players to really set a marker.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Rodgers would be daft to jump ship mid-season again. Why would you work so hard to redeem your legacy and then just chuck it away? I can see a scenario where Ange has another 5th place season with no trophies and Spurs decide to part ways with him next summer and bring in Rodgers. I think that would be a good move for both Rodgers and Spurs (and let's be real, Engels too, as he would no doubt be going with him ha ha), and I think he'd go with the blessing of the majority of us.

But if he were to go mid-season again, he'd be a moron. I think he's smarter than that.

I want Rodgers to stay; but if he has to go next summer, I would love to see Ange back here.

15. Sween

I'm not sure he has 'spurs level' credit in the bank in England anymore. If he didn't join Celtic I doubt it very much he would go from being sacked by Leicester who were in the relegation zone, to Spurs who are targeting top 4. And I dont think what's he's done at Celtic is enough to bridge that gap.

That's no comment on Rodgers at all. I think he's good enough for Spurs - I think he's a genuine elite level manager. But I don't think the top EPL teams see him in that light.

I also agree with @Ziggy in that I think there were enough Spurs fans who placed no importance on Ange's success in Scotland that it would be odd to sack that manager and replace him from the same league.

Random Review likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    If we lost our manager to Tottenham Hotspur again I'd probably commit.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He'll do 3yrs minimum.. like he said.. man of his word so he is...

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He will leave us one day, and it will be back down to England. The English premier league is the most watched competition in the world. He’ll want to be part of that again at some point; just have to enjoy him whilst he’s here again

Random Review likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

See you here in May... 2026 :fear:

JC Anton likes this.
  20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    What is it with our supporters? We're all riding on a high with a team that could surpass the invincible season and everyone is thinking of our managers next move! It's so self destructive in that it could become self fulfilling. Give him and the board the idea that this is it for us...the very pinnacle of success of how far our team is expected to go with a good manager and they start looking for ways to cash in.......just in case! He needs to be loved and backed as he's our best hope of European success in a good many years. Give the board a sniff of our fears and they will use them. I personally think that Brendan if backed will become legendary at our club...we are a big club! If he were go to the epl right now he would be selling his very soul to mediocrity. All that glitters isn't gold.