1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fidel Castro dead

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by This Charming Man, Nov 26, 2016.

Discuss Fidel Castro dead in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You love putting words into peoples mouths. I haven't said a word about Putin removing rights and nor have I said that the Cubans shouldn't have a say. If you read my posts I have intimated my desire for a free democratic election in Cuba. Unfortunately for you, that doesn't seem to fit into the argument you want to have though.

My point is, bearing in mind the lack of democracy in Cuba, that Raul is indeed a natural successor. He has the kudos and the experience and is revered in much the same way.

To be honest, and I'm fairly sure that this is the case, it wasn't Fidel who chose his successor, but the council of the Communist party that asked Raul to take over.

2. ynwa1987

His point was that you wouldnt be quite so forgiving if Castro wasnt left wing. If Putin attempted to stifle democracy the same way Castro did and wheeled out the same excuses you wouldnt be quite so understanding.

Dáibhí likes this.
  3. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I am more forgiving of Fidels Cuba than other dictatorships and not because it is a left wing government, but because they did great things in leadership.
    I cant think of a single other dictatorship the world over where the leader worked so selflessly for his people.
    I am not naive enough to think that every country the world over will have democracy to decide it's leaders. That would be my preference but it will never happen. The stick used to beat Castro and Cuba is that it is a dictatorship. The reason it is used as a means to attack Cuba is because it is hard to attack much else about the country.
    I would like to see some radical change but I doubt it will be quick in coming

Swervedancer and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. ynwa1987

Yea im with you when you compare him to other dictators. I mean he is practically a saint compared to Mugabe, Pinochet ect.

But I feel that he gets away with things that say Vladimir Putin would not get away with some people just because he is on the left. This coming from someone on the left btw.

But a tyrant is a tyrant regardless if they are on the right or left.

And as for people only criticizing Cuba for being a dictatorship as it is hard to attack it for much else. That is like saying people only criticized Gary Glitter for being a Pedo because it was hard to attack him for much else.

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    It really,really isn't mate.

That is a very poor comparison.

6. ynwa1987

7. ynwa1987

Its a little hyperbolic yes , but dont make out that being a dictator is a small blemish and insinuate that apart from being a dictator he was a pretty good guy.

8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I haven't mate.

Nor have I tried to equate the complex political intricacies of the 1950's and 60's Cold War and trying to build a just society with raping children but there you go.

9. ynwa1987

My point is the poster I replied to said that it was hard to criticize him for much else other than being a dictator.

The implication was that being a dictator was just a small blemish on his record. If thats all you can criticism someone for, its still a massive and fair criticism and not something you can trivialize.

Does that make more sense to you?

I appreciate that the political situation at the time was complex and in no way am I insinuating he was as bad as alot of other dictators.

10. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Why does everyone e want to bring Putin into this? Fidel is far from being a tyrant and your comparison between him and Gary Glitter is so ridiculously idiotic that I refuse to respond to it.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop

Fair enough YNWA. I don't disagree with you main point, however I personally still think it was a poor comparison but don't want to drag this off topic :50:

12. ynwa1987

I wasn't comparing him to Gary Glitter. I was making the point that you were trivializing a massive flaw in his character by saying it was his only flaw. I was making the point it was a pretty big flaw.

The analogy wasnt a good one but my point still stands.

13. ynwa1987

Fair dos I wasnt trying to compare them, was trying to to make an analogy, even if it was a * one :84:

14. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't see it being all that bad. Half the country's in the world are ruled by dictators. People here go ape * about it because it is against our sensibilities, and our cultural beliefs. In many parts of the world it is considered completely normal. If he acts in the best interests of his fellows, who are we to say that they should be forced into a different type of government.

The reason behind refusing to allow a democratic process is multitudinous, but primarily it is because Fidel couldn't let the revolution he fought so hard for be chipped away at by American power and influence. He and the other leaders of the revolution want a different type of society and by and large they've achieved it.

I once again will assert my belief that they should allow full democratic elections, as I feel that it is the fairest form of government. It is not the only one though.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    What is wrong in admiring a man, who saved his people from Batista, not perfect, but I defy anyone to find a politician who is, for the good he did for his people?
    He nationalised the US owned oil & water companies, gave their confiscated land to farmers to work on, instilled an intensive education programme where illiteracy in Cuba is non existent today, he brought fresh clean water to the people & trained thousands of new doctors & nurses.
    Life expectancy is at a level with the US & thanks to an illegal blockade he more or less had to make Cuba self sufficient.
    How people expect him to be 'oh so democratic' when the largest 'democracy' in the hemisphere ran countless ' black' operations against him that if known in full would put Castros misdemeanours in the shade by a country mile is beyond me! What an example to set!
    US maybe a democracy, like it puts them on some kind of moral pedestal but all I say is American actions speak a lot louder than their words, be it Iraq, Cuba, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia, Vietnam, Chile, El Salavador, Bolivia, Venzuala, Yemen, Palestine & much more.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  16. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sadly, and this is true, admittedly there is an area of Cuba that is used to torture kidnapped individuals who are held without charge or trial.

It is run by a democracy though

Swervedancer and CymruBhoy like this.
  17. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

If there's one thing I'd hold against Castro it's that he didn't shut the abomination that is Guantanamo down himself.It's actually absurd that the USA has kept a massive concentration camp on Cuban soil for all these years.I don't understand why they weren't forced to close it down and told to get to *?

ChrisMoh likes this.
  18. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    It is belongs inperpertuity to the US due to a treaty(1903), any action against it would be seen as an attack on the US itself. The rent payable is $5000. The cheque has not been cashed since 1959.

19. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

It's actually disgusting.

20. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    It was meant to be a fuelling station originally.
    I know it's bad, there appears nothing Cuba can do lawfully, though they are disputing its sovereignty in the UN. But I don't hold out much hope.

KRS-1888 likes this.