1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott McKenna

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Jun 11, 2024.

Discuss Scott McKenna in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Scotland defender Scott McKenna has refused to rule out a return to the Premiership with either Celtic or Rangers.

The 27-year-old former Aberdeen star is a free agent after running down his contract at Nottingham Forest.

And, after a spell on loan at FC Copenhagen, he plans to use the Euro finals to put himself in the shop window

Keen to leave talk of his future until Scotland’s Euro fate is resolved, McKenna was previously the subject of a bid from Brendan Rodgers during the Northern Irishman’s first spell in charge of Celtic. He has been heavily linked with the Scottish champions in recent weeks, while Rangers are also in the market for a central defender.

McKenna admits he is already fielding questions from fans of both clubs over a return to the SPFL

That is just natural when you have got teams the size of Celtic and Rangers,’ he said. ‘I know a lot of people who support both teams, so it is going to happen. They are going to question you, but there is nothing to tell.

I’m without a club, so I think I would need to consider anything. There is nothing as of now, so there is nothing to think about.

‘For me, that is completely on the back burner - I just have to do everything I can in training to try and get whatever minutes I can on the pitch here. Anything after that will take care of itself.

‘There is no bigger stage if you are on the pitch to put you in the shop window. I can only do that by first and foremost training well and trying to get in the manager’s thoughts.

‘To be honest, I am open to anything. I would never rule anything out.

‘In terms of the speculation, that’s all it’s ever been. It has never really gone any further than that and, until there is anything more, I don’t really have anything to think about.

‘There’s been no contract talks anywhere, really. My sole focus is to try and get as many minutes as I can here if the opportunity arises. There’s no bigger shop window.’

McKenna moved to Copenhagen in January, and was given a baptism of fire in a Champions League defeat to Manchester City. Admitting he would relish more exposure to Europe’s top competition, he added: ‘Obviously you want to get as much of it as you can. Whether that happens or not, I can’t control that. It was a fantastic experience, even though it was a pretty heavy defeat.

For now, at least, the Kirriemuir-born player has told his agents to put any enquiries on hold until Scotland’s fate at the Euros becomes clear.

‘They are brilliant like that anyway. They would not interrupt me,’ he said. ‘Obviously if something comes up and they feel the need to tell me, they will do so. They are not on the phone stressing me out telling me about all the small details

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Clarke-Salter/Mepham + McKenna would be a fantastic addition to our CB'S. We'd be far stronger there.

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Would have tried to have signed him by now if there was any genuine interest imo

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Maybe we have made an offer mate and he is considering it. He legally isn't out of contract to end month never know

6. Onefootwonder

It's common to sign precontract agreements.

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    What gets me is if we were genuinely interested in him we have had months to actually offer him a pre contract offer.

8. saltire78

Offering a precontract would open us up to being pushed for greater and greater terms of others enter the bidding. Club might be keeping their powder dry until they see if any crazy English bids go in. I mean, we'd all have expected contact by now, if we're really interested, but it's not a certainty.

Personally, I don't think we are interested, beyond casting an eye at a free transfer..

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah but a player may want to see if a good Euros can improve offers or possibly have several offers.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Don’t even think it’s an improved offer he’s after going by his comments, he wants no distractions going into an international tournament and there’s plenty time for his future to be resolved out with his input and then afterwards when presented to him. That’s what I took from his interview.

I’d take him.

Big Shoes and JC Anton like this.
  11. Onefootwonder

There's also the risk that you pick up an injury and get stuck without a club and contract.

12. henriks tongue

Nope, no way no how, never - what have some of you all seen that I or others haven't?
    Slow over first 5 yards, can't pass, a old fashioned, one dimensional stopper that simply will not fit our style.

Loaned out from a very poor Forest team, can't get in a Scotland team that already doesn't have single good centre half and can't get ahead of Jack Hendry, Grant Hanley and Liam Cooper.

No one wanted him with 12 months on contract, except Danish team on loan - who also now don't want to sign him.
    Has to now sell himself after being released on a free.

* guys? :43:

Tommy25 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I have to admit that's similar to my thoughts as well, but barring the odd Scotland appearance I haven't watched him play since he left Scotland so I don't really know what he's like these days, he may have improved massively for all I know. But let's just say I wouldn't be heartbroken if this didn't come to pass from what I do remember about him.

I could definitely see Rangers going for him though. Free transfer, home grown, doesn't need to play it out from the back there, so seems much more of a fit.

14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Wouldn’t that work the opposite way? But it wouldn’t surprise me with celtic

15. Onefootwonder

I didn't realise he had 35 caps for Scotland.

I think he has improved since his Aberdeen days, but I think we need better. I don't think he's good enough to be a starting player.

We've been linked with him loads of times over the years. We needed a defender in January when he was getting sent out on loan and we didn't step in. I don't think we'll go for him now.

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Rodgers has always wanted him so for that I can see it being possible. I'll reserve my judgement on him depending how he does against Germany.

17. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ship out Kobayashi and Lagerbielke, get Nawrocki a decent loan somewhere, possibly Serie A since Lecce were interested in him. Then replace with 2 from McKenna and either Mepham or Clarke-Salter

Would give us a great pool of defenders to fight for places.

18. PaddyJamieson

I still think he's absolutely rotten.

19. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Window officially opens in a couple of days, club won't be doing anything till that happens. McKenna would be a decent signing for us.

20. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    There's absolutely nothing to stop us signing players just now, it's just you can't register them until the window opens. But that involves us being prepared in advance so, like you say, the club won't be doing anything.

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.