1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

If we only win the League will this season be deemed a success?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, May 22, 2024.

Discuss If we only win the League will this season be deemed a success? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Was discussing this with a mate and was wondering what your thoughts are.

For me, it is of course a success no matter what happens on Saturday. And it's been very sweet as it was quite close.

However, it would only be one trophy.

So, arguably not as successful as other seasons. Or have we been spoiled with Trebles as a fanbase?

I should add, think it will be a Double come Sat.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Yep, as long as we win the league it's always a success.

A better way to look at it is from the huns perspective, they could win a double yet not one of them would label this season a success.

Cups have always been a bonus, if we lose at the weekend I'd get over it quickly, whereas losing the league would hurt for weeks.

Honestly, I'd happily trade both cups for a successful European campaign.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For me, it's neither a success nor a failure. It's the minimum goal at the start of every season. We reached it, so it's not a failure; but we won't have gone past the minimum, so I personally can't call it a success.

I would consider a double a success if we can do it. Expecting trebles every season isn't realistic.

For me, a success is the league plus one extra thing: that can be the cup, the league cup or a decent run in Europe.

James Mc, PaddyJamieson and JC Anton like this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    If you told me in December that we would only win the league this season I would have bitten your hand off for it.

Il still be gutted if we lose the cup final though

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, only because it is our primary objective every season, and allows us opportunity for maximum success next season. As @HTG says above, the Huns could win the most trophies this season and would still trade it for the league trophy in our cabinet, such is the scale of the achievement.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, I do understand where you're coming from and we should win the league given the gulf in finances. Its not guaranteed tho..

Random Review likes this.
  7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Losing to a team in the League Cup quarter finals that we just destroyed 5 * 0.
    Losing to sectarian bigoted 12 year old tribute act next weekend after taking 10 of possible 12 points in the league.
    Of course it’s a failure.
    We should be winning at least the double every season.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye but badly want the double now..

Would round it off lovely..

Rydo1888*, Belgian_lad, Slaw and 5 others like this.
  9. saltire78

For me, the absolute minimum is to be competitive in all games we play... People have gotten used to winning everything, and assume it's easy as a result, but there's a hundred things that can go wrong... Bad refs, injuries, suspensions, disruptive players/agents, other clubs/media unsettling things... Sometimes * just gets on top of you, and somehow misses the others around you... Over a season it usually isn't enough to take you out, but it can happen, especially in the cups... Winning the league is always a GOOD outcome... It speaks to your consistent professionalism over an entire campaign...

In short, winning the league is second only to winning a trophy in Europe for me. How can that not be a success?

10. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    It is a success but in the minimal amount of success we can expect, a double will be a good success

JC Anton likes this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    100% the league title is the upmost importance every season before a ball is kicked. Cups are a bonus, anything could happen in a cup game. League is the 38 game Premier event.

We have been spoiled with trebles and we should never take success for granted.

But this year I would say has been the sweetest for me. Given the amount of league penalties they got to get them back into title race. We where up against it from the start of the season at killie with Alan muir and Don Robertson ignoring the pen on Hacksaw.

On reflection we have been OK this season had to deal with a few things but we got there.

Like most would be delighted with a double but won't lose any sleep over it if we don't.

Got the big one, guaranteed UCL football. Whilst those * will have to get by 2 from

Red Bull Salzbug/Lille/Fenerbache/USG/Dynamo Kiev/Slavia Prague.

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Yes. Especially this year with the ridiculous amount of injuries to our best players and Rangers going on a very very good run after Baldymort came in. There are also other factors at play. Rodgers coming back to a split fan base, the multiple issues between fans and the board over the signing policy. The issues between the ultra groups and the board over the gaza stance or the board banning the ultras because of other issues.

There's also what this league title meant. It's the last season for a while where we get guaranteed Champions League football and in this new format, where we will get about 40% more in overall revenue from it this season. I see some are suggesting that the club could make in the region of £70m with gate receipts added into it. That's crazy money.

We have then sacked our head of recruitment and our Chief Scout... Obviously, the correct decision but it just adds that additional layer of instability in the one area where we need stability.

A double would go down so * well, though. To match they * on what they believe is their world record trophy haul, while having the ability to spend £30m, £40m or even £50m in the summer without breaking a * sweat. That could kill them off. Rodgers, the man who left us and came back to a fractured fan base could come back home to become the most successful team in Scotland from a trophy perspective but he could also match and go past their 55 league titles... that would * end them.

It's a one off match where things can go for or against you. However, I'll still be gutted if we don't win it. I want the double and with the way we have been playing, I think we will win it.

13. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Biggest threat on Saturday is the same 2 from the 3-3 game Walsh and Beaton!

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    This seasons league title was probably one of the most important in many many years with the amount of cash on offer and the new format of the CL. So for that reason alone I'm going for a yes no matter what happens on Saturday.

Notable failures as always: transfers and Europe..

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agreed. Especially not if the last 3 transfer windows are a new normal that's for sure.

JC Anton likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    To be fair I actually thought we made a tiny bit of progress in Europe this year compared to previous. Other than the 6-0 game against Atletico (which doesn't happen if Maeda stays on the pitch) there were notable improvements over the last 4 years.

Not saying it was successful btw, but there was a small improvement there, with a better squad I think we can do something next year.

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    It was still a bit predictable especially after our transfer business. There was no way we should be able to complete at that level with the squad we had, so maybe yeah we performed better that we should, still a failure we didn't even threaten 3rd spot.. let's hope lessons were learned because third could easily have been achieved with some backing from the board. Still passes me off

JML67 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If its 3-3 again, big Joe's not gonna be missing his final ever kick of the ball to win it this time.

NakamuraTastic and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It has me buzzing, we are in the champions league so yeah success. We've seen the help they have had this year, dodgy penalties, allowed to foul, have had 3rd place bend over for them. Winning the league isn't easy.

20. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just wait for next season!!

JC Anton likes this.