1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Flares at Celtic Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ScouseHoops, Jul 22, 2017.

Discuss Flares at Celtic Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScouseHoops Guest

First things first.....

When I was 10/nearly 11 I got hit by a Rocket in a freak accident when a firework went up in the air and somehow with the aid of the wind found its way into the kitchen and into my hood. I received pretty deep burns which have happily now gone 17/18 years later thanks to the lovely people at Alder Hey.

Anyway despite my phobia of fireworks and anything that replicates a loud bang, I still cannot understand why Pyro's and Flares are frowned upon by our club and other teams on this island from the SPL to the EPL? In other countries, they are the norm and can intimidate the opposition and their fans.

I appreciate the security and safety concerns particularly in an age of counter terrorism and I'd never been seen near a pyro myself as its not really my thing and I wouldn't stand anywhere near one. However I do think this corporate sanitization of our game/club/stadium/fans has gone way to far and borders on paternalism. If people want to use things safely to create an atmosphere, that should be their choice and what is wrong with that?

Like what incidents and injuries can the club bare testament too (they never gave examples or ANY evidence in their statement about a police response or injured fans needing treatment) that have been caused by Pyros?

2. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I Think it's an offence to have a flare or smoke bomb in a football stadium is it not?

3. mickey95

"If people want to use things safely to create an atmosphere, that should be their choice and what is wrong with that?"
    This. As regards that actually happening but it is years if not decades off happening, very little appetite amongst anyone with any power to change things to have it changed even though punishing people or groups for them has so far been ineffective and reckon it's probably out of the clubs hands, took years of Police Scotland dragging their heels to get the standing section introduced

ScouseHoops likes this.
  4. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    You should be able to wear flares if you want, personally I prefer straight leg trousers but if your a 70's person and into flares who are the board to tell you what to wear. I was in Ireland about 3 months ago that whole country is still wearing flares. They also think the Bay City Rollers are number 1 though.

5. ScouseHoops Guest

:56:

6. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    If I remember rightly the catalyst for bans was the Wales v Romania game. A guy from Wrexham took a naval distress flair into Cardiff arms Park & set it off, but instead of going vertical it went horizontal & killed a Welsh guy on the other side of the stadium. Haven't googled it but that's off the top of my head.

7. Roskopicachu

The "pyro" doesn't really look all that great. When an air bomb goes off it sounds horrible. You can imagine as well people paying good money to go to a game and breath in all those nice toxic fumes.

8. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Keep this in the supporters thread. It's all related.

Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.