1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Danny Murphy admits cocaine addiction

Discussion in 'World Football' started by jake10, Apr 10, 2024.

Discuss Danny Murphy admits cocaine addiction in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Murphy is one of the few commentators I don’t mute.

Danny Murphy: Former Liverpool and England midfielder became addicted to cocaine after retirement

Former England midfielder Danny Murphy says he became addicted to cocaine after his playing career ended.

Murphy played for Crewe Alexandra, Liverpool, Charlton Athletic, Tottenham, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers before retiring in 2013.

He has since moved into punditry and works for BBC Sport as well as other outlets, including Talksport.

"When you don't have football, problems become huge," 47-year-old Murphy told the Ben Heath Podcast.

"When you play football, the adrenaline and dopamine, all these things keep you forward-thinking and energetic.

"I had a spell on cocaine and smoking some weed. The drink, I could live without it. I wasn't an alcoholic. I could sit in a house with alcohol and not drink it."

Asked if he was addicted to cocaine, Murphy said: "For a while I was. I got to the point where I thought I couldn't do things without it. Which was nonsense, of course I could.

"You manage it initially, you might do it once a week, twice a week, give yourself an extra third day. Eventually it builds up and grabs hold of you."

But he said he found support and therapy helped him tackle his issues.

Having started his career with Crewe Alexandra, Murphy joined Liverpool in 1997.

He spent seven years at Anfield and was part of the squad that won the FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup in 2001.

Murphy earned his nine England caps while he was with Liverpool.

A spell with Charlton Athletic followed, before he left The Valley to join Tottenham Hotspur in January 2006.

He moved across London to Fulham and helped them to the Europa League final in 2010 and ended his career after a spell at Blackburn.

Murphy said he "had a year of being in a world of pain" after finishing his career but "that year to 18 months from 2017" had given him "a desire to be better that I didn't have before".

He added that he believed it was common for former players to have similar issues to him and that he was "amazed" how many had reached out to him.

Dr Michael Bennett, director of player wellbeing at the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), said the union "regularly supports" members who have developed addictions when Everton midfielder Dele Alli spoke of his sleeping pill addiction.

Former Liverpool and Coventry City goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has also talked about being addicted to painkillers for the best part of a decade.

"I've had some real depths of despair," said Murphy. "There's a lot more help out there now.

"I think there is more, but you can never get a failsafe system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68776358

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Glad to hear he has found some help after his career ended a lot of players struggle, considering the life experience of modern footballers, being pampered, spoiled and fortune, suddenly finding themselves at a loss of what the next chapter in life brings...

But then again when Murphy was al Liverpool, it's not like he would've been having a bit of a 'party' problem even during their playing days, nevermind after it...

[​IMG]

3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Think a lot of footballers need to grow the * up.

They are so far removed from normal life it's unreal. Up there with the royals.

Cocaine, gambling, alcohol, women etc. You've literally got the world at your feet with money made. And they don't know how to handle it.

Hate footballers. Love the sport (at times).

4. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song
    Total *. Never a good word to say about us and one of the worst analysts on the box.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Always thought the same..

A proper wee gimp as well. Seen him cutting about Oxford Street months ago and I remember thinking this guys a melt..

6. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Well if that helps someone realise they have a problem or get off it then that’s good,don’t take too much to do with English fitba but more power to him.

7. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

A negative, quare, sour * who seems bitter as *. Guaranteed hun-sympathiser.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  8. Mr. Slippyfist

Bet he wisnae giving it the poor ol' me act when he was face deep in some of Liverpool's best ching...

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    At least until he needed to pay the tick bill, 20 year football earnings not lasting long:56:

It’s rife amongst players, was when I used to be in the town places players were anyway, chewing their faces off:56:

Had a cousin who was a manager in a dancing players were always in, they’d get lock ins regularly money they spent, there’s ones he’s caught that I’d have never have suspected and this was my early 20’s:56: