1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Which position is our top priority?

We'll potentially have a few players away for the AFC Asian Cup from 12th January until 10th February, which will deplete our squad and there's always the chance of other players being injured then too. Think this could potentially see us look for some short term loan cover.

I can see us being active in this window because from the line ups being chosen and the subs being made, some of the new signings aren't yet at the level we require them to be.

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    LB, GK, CF, in that order. I do not expect any to be resolved with big name signings. We may see Scales being shifted to LB to save money. Because that is how our board would like it.

The_Bhoy and Crilly like this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We need a back up striker. If Kyogo gets injured, we're in big trouble. That would also let us get Oh a loan as he badly needs game time.

JC Anton, AdamRS and Crilly like this.
  4. Mr Diggler

We won't strengthen the areas needed in January. At best we might see a few loan deals and a punt or two. The obvious areas are the two not dealt with in the summer- goalkeeper and left back. We have enough wingers once Abada is back from injury I think. He is a big miss.

I think we definitely need a striker unless Brendan decides to use Maeda up top to facilitate Palma and Abada on the wings in a rotational basis.

Hart/New Gk

Johnston
    CCV
    Scales(an absolute revelation)
    Taylor/New LB

McGregor
    Hatate
    O'Riley

Palma
    Kyogo
    Abada

No doubt in my mind with an upgraded goalkeeper and left back we become a different animal altogether but I don't expect to see much change until next summer.

5. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Left back
    Energetic, pacey central midfielder
    Striker
    Winger

Rendog and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  6. celtic warrior

Every window we go into, I'm always feeling like we don't need wholesale changes in or out.

I still don't feel deep down like we need huge changes.

We just need to see a new, young-ish GK come in... a LB that undoubtedly can be seen immediately as a replacement on Taylor.

A spark of a CM that is akin to the energy and dynamism of Hatate.

Then a RW option that is as close as we can find to someone like Jota.

So when I say we don't need wholesale changes, two players to come in immediately for the starting 11 and 2 to come in as solid prospects still seems like a lot for a Jan window.

When the club will already look at the situation and see the size of squad and the amount of players we already have.

Let alone, the issues we have with homegrown players when the likes of Taylor (least in fans opinions), Ralston, Forrest, Welsh and Turnbull aren't likely seen as long term solutions whereby even some of those names can only accept for so long, being a bench warmer.

7. PaddyJamieson

Left back is obviously the biggest priority. After that maybe another striker.

We're stacked for wingers but few of them are match winners, so we could do with one more there, but I think that's unlikely. Same goes for another CM.

Goalkeeper still needed too, though maybe not urgently in Jan.

Crilly likes this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'd say there's 3 or 4 positions of equal priority tbh.

Don't care what order they come in just get some first team quality in.

Hammy89 and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  9. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Left back is the main priority, in fact it's the only MUST in this window. I reckon we'll be out of Europe by then so the current squad is good enough domestically, left back aside.

Think it's more important to get Holm, Yang, Gus and Tilio out on loan to prepare for next season.

All that said, it's absolutely vital we are laying the foundations for deals in the summer for priority targets. I've no doubt that stuff is already underway, but the type of player we all want will be difficult to get in January so any movement in our out should be in preparation for said priority targets.

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I’d love a proper unit of a dm with good experience etc but I don’t think right now central midfield is a priority as we do have good options there and I think Iwata could do really well there with some more game time still tbh.
    For me it’s
    1. Left back- spend money to bring in real quality

2. Gk, even though I think hart has been good this season we need an upgrade/someone to challenge him that will take over next season as no.1.

3. Striker- big poacher type with a good goal scoring record as it would provide a different option to kyogo and give us the chance to send Oh on loan to develop him n get him more minutes.

I think these 3 positions are priority and then I would like us to bring in a tricky right winger. Hopefully Hatate will be back fit come January aswell for another option cm.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We have absolutely no quality depth at left back or striker. So those two are priorities.

Still poor on the wings as well. Nowhere near enough quality.

The Phoenix and Random Review like this.
  12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Small number of quality additions at GK, lb, CF, winger and some honest conversations with a large number of the squad as a whole as to where their future is..

New GK/ bain
    Johnston/ Ralston
    CCV/ lagerbielke/ Welsh
    Scales/ Nawrocki/
    New lb/ Taylor
    ORiley/ holm
    McGregor/ iwata
    Hatate/ Bernardo
    Maeda/ abada/ Forrest
    Kyogo/ new striker/ oh
    Palma/ new winger/ Yang

If we are well clear +7 points at the winter break we have an opportunity over the rest of the season to actually utilise the squad and see if certain players have it..

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  13. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    There's being active and then there's the Celtic brand of being active which usually results in us bringing in even more projects and/or guys who will not be good enough for the first tram and will just sit on their *'s collecting a healthy wage. Hopefully I'm wrong but how many times have we been on here saying we need a new LB, GK, box to box CM etc. only to be let down by Lawell et al.

14. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

In all honesty just want to see quality over quantity. If we brought in a £6M+ lb and keeper then that would do nicely. Reassess from there.

We need a striker and maybe a winger but currently the lb and GK positions are the areas that are undoubtedly our weak areas. If we had a Fraser Forster and Tierney in this team then I think we would be a very tough unit to break down and start attacks far quicker.

Of course not saying it has to be Forster and Tierney but if we managed to find players of that standard it would be a far better approach then signing 3 players in each position at £2M a shot and hoping we hit the jackpot

Wee Baldy likes this.
  15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Notoriously difficult window will be the line peddled.

Expect 8 outgoings be lucky to get 3 in max

seanm and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    To be honest that wouldn't be a bad start. As long as the 3 are ready for the first team. At least 8 players we could shift without even noticing they left..

What I think will actually happen = * all

seanm, The_Bhoy, The Phoenix and 4 others like this.
  17. Qué sera sera Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    "we looked at a number players that our recruitment team had identified, players who would have added quality to key positions in our squad, but unfortunately we couldn't get anything over the line. January is always a difficult window with regards to the level of players we are looking for, but we may revisit some of those targets in the summer. We have a strong squad as it stands, and there are a few coming back from injury who will add to the managers options for the remainder of the season......." - Celtic every year since Peter Lawwell first darkened our doorstep.

18. JamesM09

They'll need to spend in January.

They should've done more in the summer. Predictions about weak positions and lack of depth are coming true so it will need to be addressed in January or we'll be in trouble. As usual, it will now cost more to fix the problem than it would've cost to just do the job properly during the summer window.

seanm likes this.
  19. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    We need to shift a significant number of squad players and make space for new players this window.

seanm and Twisty like this.
  20. Sgt Neppers*

1. LB
    2. AMF (pacey/athletic)
    3. STRIKER
    4. DMF
    5. GK

In that order. 2 of these are a must in January at a minimum.

Then addressing the wingers next year. Numbers there, but not so much in quality.

Some need moved on clearly as well.

Hope we don't hesitate about these now Ange has gone.

seanm and LectersLuncheon like this.