1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Some turnaround in his career the last few seasons. Still would rather we improved on him but he deserves massive credit for everything he has achieved.

neilly1987 and Rydo1888* like this.
  2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Keeps on improving and keeps on making a mockery out of us all. Keep at it big man.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Some start to the season..

Better player than his initial breakthrough last season when he was getting all the plaudits..

Feel he's much better now..

eire4, neilly1987 and Crilly like this.
  4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Aye he's definitely improved

neilly1987 likes this.
  5. stew37

I've always liked him and felt criticism was well over the top. Been as important as anyone so far this year.

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He's been excellent this year, was far better than CCV when he was fit and the only player I'd have given a pass against Dortmund.

7. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jan Venegoor Of Hesselink
    I had him on my list to be punted, however in all fairness to the boy he’s came in when needed and for the most part been steady, you can see growth and confidence in him and it’s helping massively, he still needs to be able to go up a level to be a proper established 1st choice, given what he’s managed to do with his game time so far I believe he can do it, will be hard aye but I believe he can do.
    It poses a question though, how many lads at Celtic more importantly youth like Frame Ure Turley ect would improve with a 10-15 game opportunity where it be starting or coming on as a sub to help elevate their game. Because Scales has shown he can be trusted with the responsibility and work hard he should be a case example for the coaches to bleed some into the first team over a period of time

8. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really happy for him. He has improved massively and has had to adapt with multiple changes in the back 4 around him the past couple of seasons.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024 at 11:30 PM
    neilly1987, Liam Scales and Rydo1888* like this.
  9. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The improved patter is downplaying him last season I think.

He’s on an upward trajectory still but it’s not suddenly happened. It suddenly happened last season after some signs pre-season and him getting his chance.

He held us together for a long time last season. When CCV came back he was adapting to it and being the second guy rather than the leader at the back everyone looked to rest of the season. Now they’ve settled and Kaspar has added to it immensely well. His passing has took pressure off Scales there as well.

And he has grown further now he has a more consistent team around him, and settled into what his role is when the full team is back. For 7 months or so last season he was needing to adapt to whatever role he needed to play in the defence, and defend for his life and to make up for those around him.

Now he has just his role, competing players brought in for his role on a decent amount of money, and a settled solid partnership with those around him… he’s been our best defender this year again. The big BUT there, is but this season he’s mostly played next to CCV. And outperforming him. CCV playing with niggles showing in him at times, and still the best defender we have but Scales is reaching the heights next to him. And done it regardless of who he’s partnered.

10. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think the thing being ignored with how Scales developed into where he is now is he had a loan to Aberdeen where he played in our league, week in and out, in a team that had expectations albeit underperforming and that gave him a platform to expect the level he’d be playing when he needed to step in. And his attitude of simply making sure he was stepping up to be counted, make himself undroppable when players started to come back and grab his opportunity with an exceptional mentality.

We done similar with Kris Ajer, sending him to Killie under a good manager our manager knew and would develop him like we would want in Steve Clark.

We don’t use loans anywhere near enough

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

12. murphy88

He absolutely merited a new deal last year, but I did think he would have been more handy to have as a squad player. Still think he can take an extra touch at times, but he has started the season brilliantly. The biggest praise I can give him is that I’d say he has outperformed CCV so far.

NakamuraTastic and neilly1987 like this.
  13. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Won’t be a squad player/option much longer if he keeps up this form both internationally and for us. Someone down south will buy him

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Should be coming into this weekend with great confidence after having a really good international window. Its still early in the season but there is no question as remarkable as his emergence was last season Scales has improved so far this season and fully merits a starting spot at the moment.

gazb1888 and greengrocer like this.
  15. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    He just needs to keep doing what he's doing and he can be the established 1st choice.

16. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He impresses me every time I watch him. He's still got the odd mistake in him but generally solid in defense, passes and receives well and is has been great with the head on goal.

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Did he not get one? Arguably our most important player last season, that's pretty mental as assume he'll be one of our lower earners. How longs his contract got left?

18. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye signed a new deal this year, he's signed up until 2028 apparently.

upload_2024-10-16_12-52-7.png

Sean Treacy and NomDePlum like this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    That's more like it. Cheers @HoopyT

HoopyT likes this.