1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. saltire78

That there would/should be compensation has never been in doubt mate, and please don't for one second associate my opinions in any way as being a 'win' for Celtic, as there are obviously no winners on any side of this whole sorry debacle. What I meant was that the lawyers pursuing this want there to be full blame apportioned on the club for this, and I can see the legal verdict of partial responsibility being upheld.

The problem is that until we can close the legalities we cannot move on to the rectification. We either need to bite the bullet, take full blame and pay what would then be a whopping compensation bill - never going to happen, or do what we're doing and cauterize the wound with agreed compensation and closure on future cases, at which point we can do whatever we want, but it'll take years of legally enforced non-disclosure on all sides.

The lawyers will not allow this to close without squeezing every penny they can, and so it's impossible for anyone to step out and offer any kind of remorse and responsibility until that part is done, and that will be when we cut the cheque and they * off. Unfortunately, "throwing money at this" is exactly what that will entail. Blaming people at the club NOW for how they're managing a historical mess isn't fair, especially in today's society where they'd open floodgates of false claims if they capitulate

Creativecelt likes this.
  2. Bad Ambassador

Fav Celtic Player:
    Landry
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Really knee-*. He provided our only option against Dortmund. I don't see any problem with his technical ability per say. You cant do step-overs while running at 142 mph, his control is good for his style of play. Fair opinion but I think ''lack of technical ability'' is more of a monkey on someones back. Palma has more technique but is no where near as effective/useful right now. Maeda is love

NakamuraTastic and Bayern Bru like this.
  3. Paul Kennedy 'My love for Celtic has been a craze.'

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

No, no, not at all, mate. I knew you weren't suggesting that. The only winners here are the lawyers.

I understand we won't be able to say anything or defend ourselves publicly until the legalities are concluded and watertight. However, we need to take control of this as soon as possible, but not with some half-baked statement.

The main priority is the survivors, and we must be mindful of that, but we are also entitled, in fact, dutybound to give our side of the story.

As you say, our current board are not responsible for these horrific crimes, and they should be allowed to explain their handling of it. There are questions to be answered by people still living, though.

The old board denied knowing anything about such rumours, yet they carried out an internal investigation that they spoke about publicly. A couple of board members allegedly remained in business with one of these beasts years after his conviction.

And having read a book about it all, I'm sad to say that how at least one set of parents handled it was horrendous. Still, they somehow came out of it blame-free, while Jock Stein, the only man who does seem to have acted (in the way a man of his generation would), has ended up taking the flak and isn't here to defend himself.

Creativecelt likes this.
  4. Paul Kennedy 'My love for Celtic has been a craze.'

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I should have added that Fergus McCann also acted swiftly and appropriately.

I don't begrudge the survivors a single penny, mate. There has to be more from us than chucking money at it and then thinking we can just leave it at that, though.

5. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That leads to a confession of my unpopular opinion:
    Never rated him (never got over this, quite likely - a title winning penalty he'd missed against the huns) - to put it mildly

MacEwan likes this.
  6. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Maeda with "technical ability" would be a £120 million footballer.
    He's one of the 3 most important players in our squad.

7. Buster Gold Member Gold Member

If Maeda had "technical ability" he would have been away from us long ago

8. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    This might upset a few people. I hate the song the fans sing when we've just scored a goal.
    "Oh Oh Oh we're Glasgow Celtic". Absolutely hate it. In fact, it's been a few years now that we've sang a song that I like, apart from the Bella Ciao one. I think that's class.

9. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Been our 2nd best player this season behind Kuhn for me (though Scales and McGregor are close) and was excellent in league run in last season. Scored in Europe and World Cup, hunskelper and gets regularly called up and given game time in a decent Japan side. I get his shots or crosses can make people laugh at times but he's proven he's good enough to play for Celtic.

10. Paul Kennedy 'My love for Celtic has been a craze.'

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I love him.

Okay, he didn't grow up as a Celtic fan, knowing all the words to TBOTOB, and players these days play for the money more than the badge, but he gives 200% every game; he clearly loves playing for Celtic and gets how much it means to the support. This is all the more admirable given that he's not even from Europe, never mind a traditional Celtic background.

NakamuraTastic, The_Bhoy and Wllm like this.
  11. T.Rogne25

I would say my controversial opinion would be Gary Hooper for me was our best striker since Larsson before Kyogo. Just made the wrong move at the wrong time.

For me, better than Dembele and Edouard.

First touch was a joke, deceptively very strong, very clever link up play and only needed one chance and he buried it.

JML67, HTG, Twisty and 2 others like this.
  12. kenniemk2

Was * against juventus my only gripe they studied him though and singled him out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Such an underrated striker..

Probably my favourite striker post the king..

I have no inside knowledge of this but I feel like maybe he didn't look after his self off the pitch as much as he could've, then he could've been even better (as he was still class)..

Used to at times be a bit top heavy.....maybe liked the drink/going out a fair bit?

Was deadly though. Scored every type of goal you could think of. Big goals. Skelper. Champions league. Movement. Strong as you've mentioned. Good link up play. Decent pace..

Injury robbed him of an England cap when he was on the brink..

T.Rogne25, HTG and Twisty like this.
  14. JamesM09

I think he was unlucky with the team he went to down south. If he caught the right EPL team and the right time he might’ve kicked on and got that cap he so desperately wanted.

Since it didn’t work out I can’t help but feel the second half of his career is a bit tragic. To go from winning trophies and playing in Europe to cutting about the English Championship for a player as good as him is a bit of a shame.

NakamuraTastic and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Didn't he score 7 or something and then got injured?

Or along those lines and they were the worst team in the EPL that year..

Definitely didn't help him..

JamesM09 likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I agree, as much as I love Kyogo, Hooper was something else for us, one of the best finishers I've seen for us in my lifetime. He was also rapid and a lot stronger than you'd expect, over-all fantastic player.

Still mental to me he left us for Norwich, who were clear favourites to go down that year. I do think we're past the point of our best players leaving for relegation fodder EPL teams, but I think Hooper could have done so much more.

T.Rogne25, AdamRS and Bad Ambassador like this.
  17. Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Italian defending at its best, defender only had the two arms round him

18. Mr. Slippyfist

This for me, although it's probably much closer now than it's ever been.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    My one for Daizen is he has loads of technical ability, and we’ve seen a lot of that out of him. But it’s inconsistent, if he slowed down and didn’t work as much we’d think he was an explosive flair player.

Him being more choosing about his work rate has seen the technical ability appear more this season.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Juve done the opposite, they allowed everyone else to get the ball, let us think we were in control, let us think we shut down Pirlo. Then choked off the ball before Hooper, and the other two guys next to Pirlo destroyed us.

And Buffon made the most incredible save against a shot that Hooper deflected towards goal from Commons I think, and he meant to deflect it. Old man Gigi’s reflexes were still working.

Then next game against PSG, he * it I’m sure :56: Juve gave us a lesson everywhere on the pitch, because they gave us the respect to have the ball and them stopping us. We’d thrived that year not having the ball as much, defending and countering, making the most of Free Kicks and clinical strikers. They Italianed us.