1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 2023/24

Discussion in 'World Football' started by The Prof, Jul 16, 2023.

Discuss Champions League 2023/24 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Think they used them all up last night mate...

2. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Even villa who have far better players than us have the sense to play on the counter and not press constantly against Bayern and thier the home team.

Artorias likes this.
  3. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Ok, we've been an embarassement on the pitch yesterday but Aston Villa is an even bigger embarassement off the pitch. 90% of the time you can only hear the Bayern fans singing. They just sang for over a minute Bayern, Bayern and the Villa fans did nothing :giggle1: * me, they are parhetic!

singer61 likes this.
  4. RiquelmeCSC

I’d take Parkhead being silent and drawing with Bayern at half time.

5. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Embarrassing how much they turn the mics up for English teams. About ten folk singing and it sounds like the full stadium is bouncing.

6. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    3pts over atmosphere every day of the week

7. Luz1904

Benfica 4-0 Atlético Madrid. Let's * go.

McKagan, JML67, neilly1987 and 8 others like this.
  8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Surely that Duran has to play over Watkins soon enough

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Villa look pretty solid all over the pitch. Backed up by solid tactics. Could do quite well in this competition.

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Some result, probably one of the biggest beatings they've took under Simeone and he's been there about 12 year.

11. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Well done on that result.

neilly1987, The_Bhoy and Luz1904 like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Incredible result that.

13. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

Lille - Real Madrid : 1-0

Da best !

[​IMG]

FCBarca and The_Bhoy like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Should stop any patter about not being able to bridge the gap in budgets and quality in one off games that. Something we used to do often was not give a * about the gulf in quality and budgets and find a way around it.

We don’t acknowledge that so much anymore, play like we normally do in domestic games and point towards that chasm in budgets, players etc. like that’s beyond us.

It’s far from it. Mentality needs to change.

15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Don’t think the jump from Lille to Madrid is that huge, Lille have some cracking players. And when you have a player like David up top you only need one chance

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The jump from them in my mind anyway is massive, Real I always expect to be one of the favourites to win the competition and it’s surprising if they don’t get to the latter stages of it, Lille I’m more surprised when they make the CL and aren’t a Europa team.

They have good players, David is one I’m surprised hasn’t made a move up to another team by now, I think Lille would be surprised 5 seasons into his career they’ve kept him there and he’s performed like they hoped as well especially last couple seasons. He’s performed internationally as well.

But the gulf between them and Real Madrid is massive. Lille is a team when we’ve came against them we don’t think they should be far away from us, quite rightly for me as well that, compared to Madrid they’re a speed bump they should easily take care of.

Certainly, I think the gap between Lille and Real Madrid should be comparable to ourselves and Dortmund. Dortmund got to the final last season against Madrid and it was largely viewed that Dortmund had to big a gap to be able to beat Madrid, they gave them a scare first half didn’t have the quality and got dismissed in the second.

There’s no bad teams at this level but there’s next level teams. Madrid are one of the biggest examples possible of that.

17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I agree with what you’re saying but now at the top top level because of finances and the money available the gap is slowly getting smaller between those top teams. The gap between us and dortmund isn’t even comparable to Lille and Madrid. Like we said about David; maybe a £70 million + player? I know he’s recently just left but yoro to United for £60 million. Andre Gomes went for £50 million at one point, angel Gomes too will go for big money soon back to England. Dortmund are then even better than Lille and further from us. Adeyemi will be the next £80 million-100 million player. They have a full front line of under 21 players at like £60 million minimum!

I’m not saying that Madrid don’t have the best on paper/richest worth of squad in football atm. I’m just saying that the drop between them to a dortmund or Lille isn’t that much as they have comparable players.

But then us to a dortmund there is not a single player we have that is worth £25 mil even now; o’riley has gone and who else could we sell at this moment for that? Then it goes down into the worth of £10-15million for maybe 5 of the players….then less for the rest.

It’s not an excuse for us not to perform, but to me it’s not as surprising seeing a Villa beat Bayern or a Lille get a win over Madrid anymore.

I think what we do need to worry about is Zagreb scored two in Munich and have scored 2 against Monaco!

Boruc17 and Liam Scales like this.