1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't think this changes anything.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Random Review, Oct 2, 2024 at 2:12 PM.

Discuss I don't think this changes anything. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That was painful last night; but I've woken up feeling surprisingly upbeat about this Celtic team. I'm genuinely still really happy with this team and I'm still loving the football we are playing. I don't think we're as bad as the scoreline suggests either. Did anyone seriously think we were good enough to go toe to toe with Borussia Dortmund in Dortmund? Is it really news to anyone that we aren't? I certainly think we learned a lot about specific players (particularly Bernardo); but I haven't changed my opinion much about Rodgers or this team.

I also think we're getting way too hung up on the score. We were unlucky to an extent there. It sounds crazy to say we were unlucky when we were well beaten by a superior side, but I think it's true. They had one shot go through two pairs of legs and into the bottom corner and another deflect off Trusty right into the top corner from a ludicrous angle. The xG suggest that was a 5-2 game not a 7-1 game and that pretty much matches my subjective impression. We shouldn't get too hung up on the score.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that, while I expect us to again be well beaten (perhaps by 3 or 4 goals) by a superior side in Bergamo, I don't think Atalanta will beat us by a 6-goal margin. If they do, I'm going to look pretty stupid for saying this, so hopefully that shows that this is my sincere opinion.

We're on the right track and playing really nice stuff. A single good window was never going to fix all our problems; but 3 good windows in a row might.

Finally, Taylor and Bernardo should not start against Atalanta.

johnboy19, Terry munro and honda like this.
  2. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    I can agree whole heartedly with your last statement....
    "....Finally, Taylor and Bernardo should not start against Atalanta."

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :giggle1::giggle1::50:

4. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
  5. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    We know the teams we have to beat, Dortmund are not one of them... proper kick in the balls conceding 7 mind

JML67, DonnyCelt, neilly1987 and 9 others like this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

@Random Review like we said, last night was never going to be that 'barometer' game.. it told us nothing we didn't already know. We can't compete with elite CL teams away from home. If only Rodgers had recognised that fact though.

We are still, short of a LB, CB, DM and winger of real quality. The fact we were bringing on Yang told its own story.

Where I do disagree is around Bernardo.. Engels was arguably worse and McGregor too. The midfield shape was all wrong and was totally overrun.

singer61, eire4 and Random Review like this.
  7. horseshoe

When the draw was made I never expected to get anything against Dortmund, just a bit deflating we didn't keep the scoreline down and wiped out the goal difference we'd built in the first fixture, but looking at the table there's already teams sitting on -7/8 goals, the top teams are going to hand out a fair few pastings against the lower end.

To get through we probably have to pick up at least 9 points from our home games and scrape a point or two away, last night doesn't change that or set any new expections for me, it was just a * to watch.

singer61, eire4 and seamus1967 like this.
  8. James Gold Member Gold Member

We conceded 7 and our keeoer made a few really good saves on top of that so we weren't as bad as the scoreline suggests... We were worse

Artorias and neilly1987 like this.
  9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed on Bernardo. He was poor last night sure but so were Engles and McGregor. We got completely over run in midfield there and the fact we do not have a genuine and strong holding mid was a big part of us getting found out last night.

singer61 and JC Anton like this.
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    My feelings on last night. The abject performance and extent of the defeat is deflating for sure. But I never shared the optimism of many who thought we could go there last night and get something. I never for a minute felt we were capable of getting a point. Just like our next game away in Italy I expect us to lose that as well although obviously we really need to at least put in a performance and make it a game.

singer61 and Random Review like this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Last night wasn't ever going to decide anything

But the manner of the defeat was a disgrace and the team deserve every ounce of criticism coming their way. It was cowardly tbh.

Losing like that to Real or prime Barca is easier (slightly) for me to accept..but for this team that is supposedly going places to lose 7-1 against not even the best BVB team in the past 2-3 year...really bad.

Artorias, eire4, neilly1987 and 3 others like this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They’re a better side and we were always likely to lose. However, the result is on Rodgers, playing that high line against such a fast team. They’re faster than most teams it’s one of their main strengths. None of our back four are overly fast so setting up the way we did was suicidal.

eire4, neilly1987, Foley1888 and 2 others like this.
  13. ardis1967

there are other games we will be looking to get the results in but why does it matter if we go through if were just going to set up like that against the big sides away from home and get skelped again. It's the same mistakes year after year and we never learn. I'll be intrigued how we go into the next game but going through gives me the fear after last night

singer61 likes this.
  14. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    It dont. We did not expect to win. We are still in top form and still have many great home ties to play. We got pumped, but 5 of the goals was freakish

We learn.

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

singer61 and Random Review like this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Disagree on the general point (title).

Does it really impact the likelihood of us qualifying for the play offs? Not really. We were always likely to lose last night. Goal difference could be a killer, mind.

But I think it changes things in respect of Brendan Rodgers. Last night was evidence that he hasn't learned a thing in European football. He's been in charge of far too many embarrassments in Europe and he's doing nothing to stop it. If he doesn't tweak it to be more pragmatic in Bergamo then there has to be serious questions.

Morcombe, neilly1987, Pogues and 2 others like this.
  16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'd say it probably changes the perception of where we're at as a team. I was confident we could do some damage, a lot of fans were. Rodgers and the players seemed to be aswell. But for so many reasons, it was false hope.

That doesn't mean we're a bad side though. Far from it. We have been excellent this season and will bounce back sharpish. We just need to realise just how much of a jump it is to go from our usual game to playing the top teams in Europe.

We have the answer now in no uncertain terms, so as long as we take it on board and adapt going forward we'll be fine.

singer61 likes this.
  17. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lennon handled Europe perfectly. He knew that to get results against the better teams, you had to keep it tight and hope space would open up on the break or from a set piece. Even then you require some luck and your keeper to play well.

The thing is, in Maeda we have the perfect guy to play this way but we set up like we were playing St Johnstone.

Anyway, let's get focused on winning our bread and butter games again.

18. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    The defeat was abysmal and every player should be ashamed, the biggest criticism is for Rodgers tactics last night, stupid and naive. Hopefully we learn and move forward from this but history is not on our side but hopefully this time may be different?

neilly1987 likes this.
  19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Tempted to say only an arrogant fud would have thought that.. but I'll not go for the cheap jibe and just say - It seems it has come as news to the manger though...
    You say unlucky! I think on balance we were lucky it was only 7. Random question here but did you write clements post match thoughts on the ross county game RR .. :giggle1:

20. Martybhoy53

How many folk on here thought we would lose 7-1 last night? Very few I’d guess. Our set up was baffling. Overran in midfield. Wide open spaces for the opposition to exploit and cause no end of damage. We were lucky it was only 7 in all honesty. The manager can’t continue to set up the team and try and go toe to toe against superior opposition. He has not learned from previous hidings. It will be interesting to see how the team is set up against Atalanta and if he is prepared to be flexible and have a plan B otherwise it will be Deja vu like last night.

eire4 likes this.