1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    That interview is exactly what we didn't want to hear.

Blaming better quality sides for hammering us, refusing to change our style of play and saying we'll learn from it.

* me gently.

kenniemk2 likes this.
  2. Paul McAuley

Delusional or the Celtic way?

Ffs Invincibles, quadruple trebles, nine in a row?

All done the Celtic way.

Keep the Celtic way!! Delusional am fine with.

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

To deny it was tactical naivety is just down right denial and delusion. We literally played them at their own game and got destroyed for it. Brandt and Adeyemi has the freedom of our half - the two best players for them literally given all the time and space to play as they please.

Football suicide again as Rodgers can't park his ego and set up to defend.

kenniemk2 and King of Kings like this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

May as well just stick your life savings on Atalanta -5 now then.

5. ScottBhoy+

* *. Brendan was asked exactly the right question from the reporter there and he admitted they won’t change it. Jesus * Mary and Joseph.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Mate it's awful.

This is my biggest gripe.

I can completely accept getting beaten by a better side which they are. But I counted 5 goals there in the fiest half that are all completely avoidable!

It wasn't down to their incredible ability. They took some of them well yes, but we handed it to them.

It's a cliche but there's a way to lose games. We don't seem to learn and it's just so painful to sit and watch. Seething at that tonight.

7. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

All irrelevant in the context of our historically poor European performances.

You reach a point domestically at which European performances become the barometer of progress, such is the awful state of our league. We are not progressing.

CFC and Lewis Kerr like this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm OK with him not changing it TBH.

Why did we think we were going to go from last season to competing with Borussia Dortmund after a single good window? It's just not realistic. These are not the games we judge our season on.

What needs to happen is that we keep improving and have another equally good window in January and then another next summer and then we can talk. For this season, the games against Bratislava, Young Boys and Zagreb are what will determine if our season is a success. Maybe Leipzig as a stretch goal.

This is exactly what worried me before this game. We are playing some great football this season. Just because you haven't arrived yet, that doesn't mean you're not heading in the right direction. I want us to keep going.

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

10. celticdawg

Agree that this is the worst result so far and listening to him just now it seems like he aint going to change.
    Its like he doesn't realise you're not facing falkirk or st johnstone but one of the best sides in the world away from home !!
    We can have a go at home the crowd would expect nothing else but there comes a time that away from home against the top teams we at least make them work , that was pitiful tonight and could easily have been double figures and the rest ...theres no need for that level of stupidity time n again !!

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Quality shines through. Cmon.

They'll no doubt be played up as prime Barca by some. It's just not the case.

Our own worst enemy.

12. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

That's insanity.

The best managers and teams in football adjust their tactics based on the opposition they are facing. They analyse their strengths and weaknesses and look for ways to exploit them. We set up exactly the same regardless of who we're facing. It's suicide and no number of scuddings and the experience that comes with them will change that. It was coincidentally the fatal flaw in Ange's football too.

kenniemk2 and Pogues like this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We didn't even do the very basics right tonight. That's just not acceptable. Paint it any way you want.

Such a cliche but we just seem to implode as soon as we are faced with a good side. Fine for it to happen now and again but there's been far too many skidding at this level when other sides with lesser budgets are able to compete.

Random Review likes this.
  14. Lecs

I think Dortmund told us to get back in our box.

I've never seen Celtic bossed like that in my life. We've had some pumpings over the years but * me.

At one point in the first half I thought we were down to 9 men, genuinely thought so guys had maybe went off injured at the sideline.

The amount of * space between defense and midfield. Fuckiiing *.

I don't want any of the champions league smoke.

The thing is, let's imagine we qualify, we get absolutely humiliated again.

* this tournament for us.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The reality at Celtic is that we need a pragmatist.

We need a manager that can be effective when we're the big fish in a small pond in Scotland and then be reflexive & be effective as the small fish in a big pond in Europe.

I've got no problems about him having a go from the off but at 1-1 or even 2-1 he has to read the game and see that our system was leaving us wide open.

All day talking about needing to stay away from needless defensive errors and then to have 3 in the first 15 mins. Brutal.

The problem is that he's had these lessons first time round. Continuing to do the same things (albeit with different players) is mind-boggling.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

And continual embarrassment on the European stage.

If you’re happy with just battering County, Motherwell and Dundee every season, and a * huns team. Then fine.

Most of us have loftier ambitions than that. Namely, not routinely being skelped by half a dozen goals in Europe.

How anyone can be content with us being the whipping boys in Europe is beyond me.

Lewis Kerr, Peej and King of Kings like this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Mind boggling is exactly it.

I like him and he will always have us dominating domestically but I can't get over that tonight. Learned absolutely nothing and as you say at 2-1 even 1-1 had a chance to just soak some pressure and make them work for it but just went for it.

It was reminiscent of Ange in terms of tactics. Just gung ho nonsense against a far superior team. It will never work.

Will repeat it till I'm blue in the face but it's fine to be beaten by a better side but to lose in that manner and not for the first time is unforgiveable.

LloydsGamble and King of Kings like this.
  18. jambo_cfc

My worry for games like this is the board will look at players like Engels and say what difference has an 11m signing made to take us in the right direction and they revert back to 2-3m unheard of players as it’s the same end results but will still be good for the Scottish leagues

The_Bhoy likes this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Honestly, anyone suggesting we shouldn’t adapt to these games and adopt a more defensive approach is a * lunatic.

We will never be expected to get points from these games, but * me I’d rather we gave ourselves half a chance by playing a more pragmatic style and maybe nicking a point the odd time.

Surely that’s better than being constantly battered any time we play a half decent team?

I’d bite your hand off for a 2-0 defeat playing *, defensive football than going for it and losing 7-1 or 6-0 etc.

These defeats demoralise the players, the fans and don’t help our reputation.

20. James Gold Member Gold Member

We must be scholars the amount of * "learning" we've done in Europe in the last few years