1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in the UEFA Champions League 2024-25

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bhoyyo, May 16, 2024.

Discuss Celtic in the UEFA Champions League 2024-25 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Only team with more than one player in that XI apart from Bayern.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Nope.

Don't think he's as special as being made out. Just my opinion.

3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Getting ahead of myself here but apparently c15 points would get you top 8 and auto entry to last 16.

I think we should be trying to win all our home games. Personally I’ve never found Leipzig to be that great a team - average at best even when their teams had the likes of Nkunku and Laimer. Of course we beat them in BR’s first stint as well.

3pts in Zagreb could be possible too.

We’ve never had and never will have a better chance at racking up 15 points so may as well go all out and go for it.

craigtheceltic, Lewis Kerr and Crilly like this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Lawell won't be able to cope having to spend all those extra win bonuses :56:

5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Leipzig pretty comfortably beat us home and away 2 years ago, it's a hard game.

Random Review likes this.
  6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    They did but not convinced they were really that good. I actually think the Leipzig team we beat in BR’s first stint had better players.

For what it’s worth, I thought our European performances under Ange were average at best. I don’t fall for the 30 mins v Real Madrid patter particularly when we failed to lay a glove on Leipzig and couldn’t beat a brutal, war torn Shakhtar Donetsk playing from Poland. Added to Bodo, Leverkusen at home etc the previous season.

7. Samurai Bhoy

Just win our home games, which we’ll probably be favourites for in all, except Leipzig, then get a win in Zagreb.
    That’s 15 points!
    Throw on top of that a sneaky draw away to one of the other 3 and we’re sitting nicely in the top 8!
    Easy * peazy! :56::56:

johnboy19 likes this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think there are reasons to fear similarities. IIRC one of the big problems with Leipzig is that they were good enough to play through our press. The reason we were so dominant the other night is because we pressed the life out of them and they couldn't play through it. Leipzig will be able to do that. Although they were a better team than anything we have faced domestically, they also didn't quite have the quality to punish us in transition. Leipzig will.

So if we play Leipzig with the same approach as the other night, they will pick us off comfortably again. I'm just hoping that Rodgers is more pragmatic than Ange was and has a plan B in mind for Dortmund, Atalanta, Villa and Leipzig. I'd like to see us play on the counter in those games, I think we have the pace to do that now!

9. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Going forward we should cause all these teams problems. Our defence is still a bit of a worry though. Gave up a few easy chances the other night and the defending for their goal was wild.

kenniemk2 likes this.
  10. kenniemk2

Said this the other night goal difference will be a big factor if we are gonna lose a game lose it professionally keep it tight and when we play the so called lesser teams try be impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. kenniemk2

Villa is the one out of those 3 where I think we will get a result especially if they are already qualified by then

12. kenniemk2

That is absolutley massive when looking at our league payouts important Scotland has a team in champions league every season for the good of the football economy in Scotland

HoopyT likes this.
  13. kenniemk2

lol an automatic place would take Celtic to a new stratosphere … take each game at a time and see where it takes us

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, hopefully they'll have qualified but we'd definitely struggle to deal with their power..

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I honestly don't think you'll see us trying to sit in and play on the counter, Rodgers has tried playing 5 at the back for example before in Europe, going against the way were used to playing and got absolutely pumped.. we didn't vary our style too much v A.Madrid at home last season and we remained very effective..

It will be a more pragmatic press maybe, as you say better teams will play through an all out press like we played v Bratislava.. can't see a change in formation. Maybe we throw Bernardo in from the start v Dortmund he's more positionally aware and can win the ball..

We just need to try and be competitive in Dortmund and Atlanta, Leipzig I honestly think we go at them and could spring a surprise.

Random Review likes this.
  16. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Against Dortmund I think we should play a different style of football. I don't think we can press so high up the park or they'll pick us off.

Think we need to soak up a bit of pressure, and be selective about when we press. Then quick transitions and hit on the break.

17. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    We will be highly competitive . I think 5 -7 points is very very realistic in our remaining three home games . I also think we will Nick a couple of points away from home. Would be fairly confident we will finish between 10 and 13 points, top 24.

Winning all our home games is certainly not out of the question , and if that happens top 8 isn't a completely outlandish notion. Very unlikely , but not impossible.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  18. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It also hugely beneficial if we ever need to move a game for a champions league qualifier in the future. It benefits the whole league us being there.

Interesting the Huns weren't on that list, do they not get anything?

19. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Paul le guen ready ti become Zagreb coach after sacking their manager