1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Celtic v Slovan Bratislava | Wed 18 Sept 8pm | TNT Sports 2

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by 88jimmij88, Sep 13, 2024 at 10:38 AM.

Discuss Celtic v Slovan Bratislava | Wed 18 Sept 8pm | TNT Sports 2 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kenniemk2

Midtyland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. superbat

Hi there!
    Long time I did not go to Celtic Park, it will be my first game for like 10 years... Any tips on good pubs for the pregame and postgame with live music? Is the Celtic Social Club on London rd still opened? Cant find any info about it on Google maps

Skelleto likes this.
  3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    That is pretty * impressive. Those clubs are no mugs.

henriks tongue likes this.
  4. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    In the first qualifying round they won away from home. In the other 3 they got draws away from home.

5. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Im going to be the annoying guy and say 2-2. Prove me wrong Celtic.

I am super excited but this is the game where Celtic need to show us progress. Now is the time to turn our european record around.

6. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Will be a toughie, need that high energy start.

henriks tongue likes this.
  7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Schmeichel
    Johnston CCV Scales Taylor
    McGregor
    Engels Bernardo
    Kuhn Kyogo Maeda

8. Slaw

Same team as the weekend for me. Absolutely buzzing for this.

9. Sgt Neppers*

Poor reading this. Couldn't have asked for a better start to a CL tournament this time. We will get that win and be in the top 8 by the end of matchday 1.

10. Beldub

Didnt they get humped 4 or 5 nil at home by the second placed team in their league last week & weren’t they playing in Euro Conference League last season?? - lets not pretend that we shouldn’t win - goes without saying we need to be 100% in Champions League and our record is abysmal but now or never…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. henriks tongue

So much ignorance/arrogance from our fans on here, especially given our own appalling record last 10 years or more.
    Anyone taking Slovan lightly should really have a word - they are a good team and will be tough test.
    Just look at previous rounds.
    Winnable, yes. Easy - absolutely not.

12. Beldub

Dont think anyone is suggesting any game in Champions League is easy…
    Bite you hand off for a 1-0 win but if we were to loose here we’d be looking at loosing all 8 games - relatively speaking its the best game we could have hoped for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Agreed. If we can’t win this game then we are going to be up against it big time in the remaining fixtures as difficulty only increases.

If we drew Bratislava in any competition in previous seasons we would be aiming for a minimum of 4 points over home and away. That expectation should not be any different here.

That doesn’t mean we take them lightly. We need to play a lot better than we did against hearts. We need to be secure in possession and watch for the counter attacks.

If we want to make the play offs this is simply must win.

Yoshi, JML67 and Beldub like this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Can't always go by the bookies but when I checked last night, we're the third most odds on (just under 1/3) side to win and by a distance out of any of the group games over the 3 days..

We absolutely should be beating this mob and we've probably never had or never will have an easier first game to get up and running..

Just turn up, get the crowd involved straight away by going at them and pressing in packs....smother them into mistakes and hopefully bag the early goal..

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

think this is the crucial factor tbh, our support have been prone to getting nervous in games like this and a good start will settle the nerves and get the place rocking. makes a huge difference either way.

sure brendan will know this and tbf we've started our league games at a good tempo this season, so far

McChiellini.. likes this.
  16. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Wednesday will be the day we turn over a new leaf in terms of our performances in this competition.

17. BigDoggyWoofWoof

This game is a huge test. European progress is the yardstick we need to measure ourselves against, but if we can't get a result against this team at home, then you can't be too optimistic about us getting results in subsequent fixtures either. Big game in terms of how we judge the summer window and potentially with respect to morale as well.

18. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Will they even get here? Or care about fitba when this is happening at home?

In Slovakia, the overflowing of the Danube River caused flooding in the Old Town area of the capital, Bratislava, with local media reporting that water levels exceeded 9m (30ft) and were expected to rise further

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5yjjqyv84eo

19. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Let's hope so, it's long overdue. In recent times we've tried to play CL football more or less how we play domestically and have been punished accordingly. We'll need to be far more savvy, far more patient, far more clinical and far tighter defensively to start getting results at this level again, even against a modest team such as Bratislava. I hope the supporters in the ground lay off the boos towards the opposition any time they string more than 3 passes together too. It's cringey for one thing but it only makes our lads nervous as well. It's certainly never had much of a negative impact on the opposition from my experience. If we're patient and solid in our defensive game on Weds then we'll win. Fingers crossed that is the case.

bones58 and BigDoggyWoofWoof like this.
  20. bones58

This is a must win, simple as that. These are the teams around us we need to be beating.