1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was a UK resident though. And to return he'd need to extend his residency, which would include his time in Saudi, as it's too short to have expired.

2. Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Like the huns of London

3. Maestro 08

The average tenure for a manager down there is 18 months. If he sees this season out I'll be surprised.

He's managed in the EPL which was obviously his ultimate aim but it will swallow him up & spit him out as quickly as it's done most others.

Gonna bounce around a few more years in Europe before heading back east, quids in, boxes ticked.

4. cammy07

It’s starting to unravel a bit for him now, even when the results haven’t been there they’ve played some excellent football, yesterday was a grim watch. They could’ve played the rest of the day and wouldn’t have ever come close to scoring.

He’s been backed down there he just hasn’t spent the money well at all. For as much money as they’ve spent since he’s been there you can’t say many of his signings have really improved them all that much. Spent the best part of 50m on Brennan Johnson who’s an utter diddy and is somehow a first pick for them. That’s the types of signings that’ll see a manager in trouble when they don’t work out.

The media are starting to go after him now too so it’ll be tough for him, hard to see him lasting the season now unless things change quite dramatically.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It still baffles me this, I get what folk are saying, but I just can't wrap my head around how it applies.

Surely the visa he was on when here wouldn't have been a residency visa and more a work visa?

Madness either way that a foreigner who doesn't live or work here would pay tax to the UK when they come here (back?) even though they'll hold no legal right to live here when they was working elsewhere.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Random Review likes this.
  6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    It depends on what his permanent home is, if it is Portugal then he would likely not have to. I would be surprised if it was the UK

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not sure it's the beginning of the end. They really should have 9 points woth some better finishing.

Not saying that will get better, but you could see them putting a run of results together.

8. Sgt Neppers*

Absolutely want Ange to succeed wherever he goes. Wish him no harm.

That said, theres always an inevitability that his time at Spurs and England was going to end like this.

He wanted this move, he got the dream reward and fair play to him for that. But you have to take all that comes with that. I have no pity for him there should he get the boot.

Still time to turn it round, but it needs to be instant and for a good sustained period.

Peej likes this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I think he might've had a realisation about Spurs after that furore last season with the Man City game and the spurs fans wanting the team to chuck it stop arsenal winning the league. That small-minded way of thinking would absolutely not align with his way of thinking.

Tinpot mindset, tinpot fanbase, an hysterical media and an average squad. Some job he's got on his hands..

TESLA and Peej like this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Think perhaps he will have realised the stark difference between working and winning for a club like Celtic and the fans, and that of an epl no mark club.

Of course he gets a bigger stage to showcase and more money to buy players etc. but the appreciation and the worth of that job, not the same.

Can imagine 100% after that nonsense of throwing the game last season, he will have been looking to see what other jobs come up.
    Much like Rodgers, I think both Ange and Rodgers would do well working on a different league.
    The EPL is a disaster of a league to work in, if you're not at a club that's genuinely expected to win. Which in the last few years to a decade has been city, Liverpool and now arsenal.

Any manager at any other club, you're a ticking time bomb.
    The best you can do at any other club is to have a one hit season and then get the * out and move on. No club is generally gonna have two years of success without being one of the aforementioned clubs, so failure is absolutely inevitable and the fans of the clubs on the top half won't accept anything of the sort.
    Fans of the bottom half clubs have to accept they're relegation fodder and no manager looks good there either.

Villa and west ham are about to get rude awakenings for their managers. Reasonable success, it's gonna come tumbling down on the managers the moment they don't at least match the expectations set by a support and club hierarchy that will now expect them to be a level or two above where they actually are.

Back to Ange, he'd do well to get out of England and get himself in to Spain or Germany. Play in leagues where his football will blow the opponents away, or at least match up to the similar styles.
    May not get a Bayern or a Real job. but he's get a level half a rung below and time to build to cup success and deep European football, before being primed for the big boy jobs.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think he knew it would be tough but he wanted the challenge. He's in his late 50s,it was now or never. So this was also his chance for the Money, apparently £5m per year.
    He's probably actually good enough for Bayern or Dortmund but they may have bypassed him now.

Peej likes this.
  12. James Gold Member Gold Member

I fancied him as an outside shout for the England job

13. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    He will get the sack soon enough, so it will be interesting to see where he end up? England would suit him very well but i doubt they will give him that gig.

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Not gonna lie wouldn’t mind chucking it if game didn’t mean much for us but meant Rangers didn’t win title, think everyone here would surely be in same boat. But did they still have an outside chance of top 4? Can’t mind to well but think they might’ve.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

From the outside looking in what ‘success’ actually is for Spurs needs to be re-evaluated by everyone.

Whilst City are in the league, the idea of winning it seems like a massive pipe dream. Arsenal are putting in almost perfect seasons consecutively and still not managing to take it off them.

Winning a single thing at Spurs would be a huge achievement.

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Tax law is very complicated and isn't helped by the fact it varies greatly country to country.

Peej likes this.
  17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Did they not put out a heavily rotated team against someone in the Carabao cup? It baffled me why he did so at the time as i thought atleast getting a trophy would take a huge amount of pressure off of him and his team and instil a winning mentality.

18. celtic warrior

I think over this season we could see a lot of managerial changes.

He could easily end up at a different EPL club and Spurs will go on being a basket case who like Man Utd, look like they spend big money but spend it arguably, worse than anyone else in the league and it really impacts the quality of that squad.

Sure Ange is at the helm and needs to take some flak for that but overall Spurs recruitment for years has been so poor

19. JamesM09

I reckon he would do well at United.

He would handle the problems with effort and personality at United, and they would back him since they actually want to win things.

When he was at Celtic he was a winner and a club that expects to win. That’s what he would be at United. Finally lift them out of their spiral.

20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah they needed to win to have any chance of qualifying for CL but many of them said it wasn't worth winning if it meant stopping Arsenal (which also wasn't guaranteed either).

Tinpot imo.