1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Arne Engels

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Aug 29, 2024.

Discuss Arne Engels in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic20

* * what a shocking rule that is

2. calmac23

Think that’s fine though. He got his first cap, trained with the team and is now able to come back and settle a bit more before we get into the thick of it with games.

Great to see him get that first cap. Hopefully can play well and get back into the squad next time.

Crilly and Twisty like this.
  3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Eh how did they not know this before

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    * for him but suits us I suppose

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

6. Belgian_lad

Because the Belgian FA are a bunch of amateurs…

7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    FAI... Hold my Guinness..

Sean Treacy, Skelleto and Belgian_lad like this.
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Arne Engels has vowed to provide Celtic with a healthy return on their record transfer investment.

The Hoops shelled out £11million to bring Engels to Parkhead from Augsburg in a deadline busting move. After repeated pleas from Brendan Rodgers to the board not to simply hoard the piles of cash the club has been banking, he got his wish as they dropped eight figures on the Belgian, in addition to the ventual £10.5m that could be winging it's way to Norwich after Adam Idah was signed permanently

With big money comes big pressure, but Engels knows expectations will be high with such a price tag. And he's confident he can flourish in Glasgow after making his Belgian to team debut last week, on the back of a maiden appearance as a sub as Celts slapped Rangers 3-0 on his introduction to Scottish football. "It's a really big club, the biggest in Scotland," he said.

They play every time for the championship and for the league cups and everything. It's obvious that it's a a step forward for me. Also with the new format for the Champions League, I think it can be really amazing and special for us

They obviously paid a big amount for me and I want to return a lot for the club. I just want to be in my best form and perform ike I always do. That's why they did it.

"It's up to me now to adapt to the situation and to the team. It's an amazing team. Everyone is speaking to me really well and is teaching me a lot, so I think it's going to be really easy to integrate and to perform."

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    Crilly and NakamuraTastic like this.
  10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly likes this.
  11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Arne Engels has shared that Celtic had expressed interest in him well before his eventual transfer, with the club making initial contact with his agent six weeks prior to the closing of the transfer window

This revelation came during his first press conference as a Celtic player, which CeltsAreHere attended following his early return from the Belgium national team camp

The 20-year-old midfielder, who had just impressed on international duty with praise from teammate Kevin De Bruyne, found himself returning to Glasgow earlier than expected. His early return was due to accumulated yellow cards carrying over from the under-21 to the senior national team, providing him with the unexpected opportunity to spend additional time training at Lennoxtown.

He told CeltsAreHere: “It was 6 weeks before [the last week] that the club contacted my agent. They spoke a bit to each other.

You need to wait and see how everything is going and how serious everything is. I was really happy that it came through.”

Engels’ move to Celtic, finalised on deadline day for a record £11 million, was evidently contingent on the departure of Matt O’Riley, who left for Brighton for a package worth up to £30 million.

The club clearly had a plan in place and was just waiting for some movement before they acted.

13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Clement selling him on joining us, they won't like that over there :56:

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lol..

17. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Haha 4 seconds in 'Why Celtic?' ffs.

18. Foley1888

They can ask him about it tonight, since it’s came out in time for his Q&A.

19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Arne Engels insists he’ll show former mentor Philippe Clement no mercy as he focuses solely on on paying back his bumper Parkhead price tag.

The Belgian ace landed at Celtic in a record £11m deadline day move from Augsburg – and made a quick fire debut from the bench against his former Club Brugge boss in the Old Firm clash 10 days ago. Engels helped fire the Hoops to a 3-0 victory over Rangers and he warned his old gaffer he’s out to be top dog in Glasgow

The 21-year-old said: “It was nice to see him. Did he say, ‘Good luck, but not too much good luck?!’ Yes, exactly like that! But it’s always a bit joking. He said it was a good step for me. We spoke a bit about our last years together. Of course he helped me also in my development as a youth player at Brugge. So he was good for me then. But now I am a Celtic player and I will always do everything I can to beat everybody. So, yes, obviously, that is my aim. It’s normal in football you see each other

Engels got his first taste of life with the Hoops from the bench in the big derby win and he insisted he won’t be overawed by his record transfer fee. When asked if the bumper move brought pressure or motivation he said: “Motivation, pure motivation

I’m a relaxed guy and I just want to enjoy football, and that’s what I’ve been doing really well, otherwise they would not pay that sort of fee. I think I’m on the right path and making the right steps, and this is the right one for me.”

“It’s nice to see this and to experience it, and I also believe in myself because I think that’s even more important than other people believing in me. But yeah, it’s a really nice feeling that you see they did everything to get you. They paid obviously a big amount for me and I want to return a lot for the club.”

Celtic splashed the cash for Engels but landed one of the most highly-rated young players on the continent. The Belgium cap was attracting plenty of attention across Europe but admitted his heart was quickly sold on Celts.

Engels said: “Of course, sometimes you hear some things, but Celtic was the main option for me actually. To come here was clear in my head, so it was an easy choice.

“I think it’s a really big club, it’s the biggest club in Scotland. They play every time for the championship and for the cups and everything, so I think it’s obvious that it’s a step forward for me. Also, with the new format of the Champions League, I think it can be really special for us

I just want to be in my best form and perform like I always do. That’s why they did it. It’s up to me now to adapt to the situation and to the team. It’s an amazing team. Everyone is speaking to me really well and is teaching me a lot, so I think it’s going to be really easy to integrate and to perform.”

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Great attitude.. calm, determined and focused..

Can't wait to see more of him.