1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

European players praising Celtic Park atmosphere. Flattering or meaningless?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by bones58, Sep 8, 2024.

Discuss European players praising Celtic Park atmosphere. Flattering or meaningless? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bones58

Just curious for everyone else’s thoughts on this.

I watched a video on one of the Celtic fan channels going through all the praise we have had from big name European players over the years like iniesta, messi etc

Does anyone cringe at how much these quotes are brought up by supporters as a badge of honour considering the fact how horrendous our CL home form has been for over a decade?

I hate the fact that Celtic Park is now a box to tick for these players as they seem to have a jolly old kick about and get to leave with the 3 points. Give me Fortress Parkhead from the 00’s where teams were intimidated and came away with no points and their tail between their legs.

It seems very small time to me to cream ourselves when players say they enjoyed Celtic park after skelping us. Stuff like clapping opposition players getting subbed off can GTF as well.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It’s always nice to hear nice things about the club, but it means * all.

I do want the atmosphere to be intimidating for opposition players.

Peej, Rydo1888* and Lewis Kerr like this.
  3. Lewis Kerr

It was a compliment up until about 2008 when we were regularly overcoming massive teams. You can throw in our 2012 campaign in there too because that was pretty special.

Since then it just feels more condescending than anything. As above, it's nice that we get praised for it, but if we aren't winning or getting decent results then it's meaningless to me as a Celtic fan. It's basically become tourist destination for opposition fans and players.

We need to strike a balance between creating a special, uplifting atmosphere that drives the team on and a hostile environment for the players we're up against.

I do think the 15+ years of poor results have contributed significantly to the apprehension and dwindling of atmosphere though. The fans are usually buzzing and right up for it until we concede an early goal, etc. Then it falls flat and the nerves take over. The players on the park need to set the tone for the fans to bounce off.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Flattering when we’ve won, annoying as * when we’ve been slaughtered and it’s a tick list for players to experience and enjoy. I like legendary players being awed and effected and being beat, when it’s us being embarrassed and praised, * infuriating. Wee pat on the head and patronising.

5. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Meaningless

Skelleto likes this.
  6. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Good when intimidating, meaningless when enjoyable for opposition.

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Has anyone said anything like that in over a decade though?

I always associate those sort of comments with the clubs that came to us in the 00s anyway. Think since then perhaps the odd comment of players who've perhaps played previously as well. But I always again assume it's on the back of the atmosphere we became famous for back in the day anyway.

I'd be surprised to hear of any big named players complimenting coming to Celtic lark in the last 5-10 years

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Toni Kroos praised the atmosphere when we played Madrid, so that's fairly recent.

Peej likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye? He can get in the bin now :56:

Mentally I just associate these comments with the Messi/Iniesta times and don't give it much more thought these days

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Completely meaningless and actually these days I'd question if its as good as it could be. Crazy noise made during the CL anthem and if/when we score but not as noisy as years gone by during the game imo, outwith the GB/standing section.

11. henriks tongue

Sadly the fans are the only thing that's world class about our club and Scottish football in general.
    Whether that be atmosphere on euro nights, 60,000 attendances or huge spending on merch etc - we are feckin brilliant and should be very proud of that:57:

The problem comes when our world class fans and club history and global appeal becomes a substitute for sporting success and we are then somehow placated and even patronised by others to feel we are doing ok and that distracts from our club stewards and their long term apathy and poor sporting performance.

oh bhoy likes this.
  12. saltire78

I don't know... Kinda torn to be honest...

For me it's like someone saying that they enjoyed their trip to the gym... If it's because they swanned about, preening and strutting, then it's a mockery... If it's because they've been through the wringer, and are rightly proud of their workout, it's worth hearing and being proud of...

In short, the praise means only as much as we GIVE IT TO THEM during the game, on the pitch and from the stands...

Nothing wrong with applauding the best talent when they show what they've got, because we can't get that here... Like a poor person begrudging a sports car driving past. It's normal to appreciate it, and recognise it's unusual to be in the proximity... Definitely not up for the sycophancy I've witnessed though...

13. ardis1967

absolute riddy for me when we clap Modric etc off the pitch when were getting beat.

oh bhoy likes this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s a well known fact so I couldn’t really GAF whether we get our ego stroked now or not, we’re all in attendance so we don’t need regular reminders - we know the atmosphere is electric.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree with you. A lot of fans have become overly used to the GB making all the noise.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I want players hating coming to play at Celtic Park and shook standing on a cold wet night pre kick off..

17. Taxman Lights of Lisbon Gold Member

Look, it’s no surprise to me that world-class players rave about the atmosphere at Celtic Park. It’s one of the best in Europe, no question about it. But flattering? I wouldn’t go that far. It’s not about flattery; it’s about what Celtic represents. The fans are passionate, they’re loyal, and they create a special kind of noise, especially on those big European nights. But at the end of the day, it’s all about what happens on the pitch.

Sure, it’s great to hear top players praising the place, but we shouldn’t be dining out on that. The club needs to be competing at the highest level, not just relying on the atmosphere to intimidate opponents. The fans deserve more than just being known for creating a great atmosphere. It’s about success on the pitch, plain and simple. That’s what really matters.

So, is it meaningless? Not entirely. It’s part of the club’s identity. But it’s not something to hang your hat on. The real flattery should come from winning trophies and competing at the highest level in Europe, not just from players saying it’s a tough place to visit. That’s what counts.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Came in to say almost exactly this: it's meaningful and flattering when we are winning most of the time and I genuinely took pride in it. But it's utter pointless, meaningless chatter that makes me cringe when we are constantly losing.

19. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

The atmosphere is pretty average these days. You get the odd game where it’s like the early 2000s again, but for the most part it’s flatter than it used to be.

Controversial opinion - the Green Brigade don’t do enough to get the rest of the stadium involved any more.

henriks tongue likes this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I want a loud and hostile (non violent obviously) atmosphere.

Not a loud happy clapping the opposition player type of atmosphere.

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk