1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed. Part of having a good technique is being consistent in it. Just common sense really.

2. saltire78

Not actually true, for me! I'd say it's more like calling yourself a scratch golfer if you play scratch 1 game in 5 or 6, and to about 2-5 over every other time. He's not a player you can say is so far off most of the time, or he wouldn't be the frustration to others that he is.

Some see him as a hall empty glass, others as half full. He's still arguably the best attacking LW, and regularly forward, in the country... Not another team in the country wouldn't maul people to claim him, if they could get him

3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    He did a recovery on the weekend where he had a collision around the centre of the pitch and fell, only to immediately spring back to his feet, sprint and win the ball back at left-back. He's a physical marvel.

4. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Should be scientific papers written on him.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not a criticism on him but shows the way stats can be manipulated, Palma won the ball back final third last year more than anyone. And that’s brilliant from him that, but when you look at it as a comparison to Maeda, it’s not the final third specifically, it’s * everywhere.

And I’d love to see if anyone has the stats on this, but from my eyes when he’s working like he does, others around him work harder.

NomDePlum likes this.
  6. T.Rogne25

Spot on. Even if he wasn’t quick it would be crazy to see those repeated sprints. I have no idea how he avoids muscle injuries with his explosiveness repeated that regularly.

If anyone can find a presser like him in world football I’d be amazed.

For what it’s worth in the speed debate, Frimpong over 10-15 yards is easily the quickest I’ve seen.

88jimmij88 likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The only comparison I can say with him for that is N’Golo Kante. Not any comparison of quality or players or even style but it’s the only guy I’ve seen with a comparable work rate/engine.

For style and work rate and as players, the only player I can think of I’ve watched is Olic. Olic had more quality obviously, but even his ridiculous workrate I think falls short of what Maeda does. Better player, no doubt but just for the all out constant explosive sprints without tiring, it’s only Kante.

That’s insane to me that it’s the only comparison that.

T.Rogne25 and 88jimmij88 like this.
  8. Bad Ambassador

Fav Celtic Player:
    Landry
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Definately. It must have been daunting for them at first though and I think a familiar network of friends and family will have helped them to settle in. From there they will be sold on the idea that Celtic is a very special place. It didn't take Wanyama long to realise the opportunity he had and many others too. We have a good setup in that respect, Ange said its about finding players that want to be here and I think Daizen is enjoying every minute.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Except I could post half a dozen videos in 10 mins of him demonstrating technical ability therefore he does have it hence the analogy is miles off.

It’s common sense that pressing, counter pressing, counter counter pressing, all at 200 miles an hour for 90 minutes will lead to sclaffed crosses and row Z shots now and again. That doesn’t mean he’s incapable of scoring goals and making assists in the final third because evidently he does do, some just need to understand the context of why when he gets into good positions of his own doing the final bit lacks on occasion.

As most understand, if he had that he would be a 60 million quid player and pick his club.

stew37, saltire78 and craigtheceltic like this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Think he’s shown more of that ability under Rodgers than Ange because the pressing is more controlled rather than always constant like he was under Ange, he’s still a mad amount of work rate but it’s not as constant and he has more time, less rushed.

Ryan Christie was similar when he slowed down his technical ability shone, when he was 100mph an hour it could be wild.

Maeda is still hit and miss technically, but if he wasn’t we’d never still have him. I’ve reached a zen with him, if he wildly slices a cross he brings enough to ignore it. And sometimes he pulls out * I forget he can actually do.

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thing with our Daizen is it's all about phases. He's currently in the midst of his most consistent phase for us since he joined, and long may it continue. But it's worth remembering that when he's in a run of bad form his technique goes all to * and can be a liability with his clumsiness in the tackle.

On his day he's a * force of nature and will have my fierce backing till such times as he starts doing mad * again consistently.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  12. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I guess we have different expectations of technical ability. His technique is poor by professional standards but he more than makes up for it in other ways.

T.Rogne25 likes this.
  13. Sean Treacy

That press he done for Cals goal was insane, sheer desire.
    Very few players would have seen that opportunity and went for it. Look at his starting position, just drifting around the box and suddenly he makes a sprint towards those huns who thought they had taken control of the situation and bang, he mugs them and sets Cal on his bike.

eire4 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is the most composed and confident I've seen him in a Celtic jersey from the last few months of the season til now..

Used to regularly moan about a lack of ability but to be honest, it's no a frequent now. His touches, crossing and finishing etc are all at a very good level..

Aye he'll sometimes sclaff one on his left peg in to the stand, but he's earned the right for no one to get at him when he does....as he does much more right..

Happiest I've seen him. It's like after all this time, he finally feels like he's arrived and believes he's the man..

15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He was decent under Ange, but Rodgers has massively improved him, different animal now.

He's no Jota when it comes to technique, but he's far better than he was under Ange when it comes to it.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    100%..

He's improved a few players..

O'Riley
    Johnston
    Kuhn
    Maeda

All look majorly improved to me..

Scales as well who has deficiencies has deffo become a better player working with Rodgers..

Can tell Bernardo will massively improve under him..

Kyogo has gotten to grips with him now and just our style in general everyone knows what they're doing and we're so much more fluent and dynamic as a result. I honestly think we're more balanced than under Ange, who although we were fantastic to watch, I think we'll be more stable at the back and likely do better in Europe as a result..

Went off a bit here but anyway.....:giggle1:

17. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He's on the bench tonight for Japan v Bahrain. 5pm kickoff

18. celtic warrior

Bring him home... I just want to touch him

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hatate left out again

20. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Ridiculous calling players up to travel half way across the world to then not even have them involved.

Japanese manager seems to have a real issue with our players. No doubt been in his ear the last week telling him to move to a better league