1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Of course, my bad, how silly of me!

On a serious note, heartening to know there are folk out there who are capable of critical thought :50:

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    They * owe us big time and they better spend every feccking penny we get for big MOR or the majority of Celtic fans will be kicking up *

3. donnegal celt

it easy saying spent every penny on signing and end up with barkas or Shane Duffy flop.
    Sometimes money doesn’t buy u Celtic class kind player. Look o’ Riley at 1.5 million.

4. TheHappyLoss

Right at the least 3 first team ready players a must. LB, CB and replacement for O’Riley

GreenLeanMean likes this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Football is pretty much completely driven by money, sadly. While this means we are somewhat limited to what level we can operate at, being in a * league only stretches so far as an excuse when we can offer better wages than a large number of clubs outside the top 5 leagues. It also doesn't explain why we haven't got a proper scouting and recruitment structure in place - to help maximise what we can achieve. Having 1 senior left back and not getting a replacement in for our main playmaker despite 8 months of warning is not down to just hard luck - it's a lack of forward planning and in the case of LB complete negligence. So why is this the case? Well I think people pointing the finger at the people above Rodgers is because they want to know why. But we don't, there's no communication with the fans, we're told to stay in our place and keep paying money - and in your case we're all to just keep cheering on the Celtic cause that's our jobs. * that, we can be so much more with just a few basic changes that many smaller clubs and less glamorous clubs than us have in place.

Pointing out these things isn't hysterical - and actually requires some of your apparently elusive critical thinking - moreso than burying the head in the sand saying everything's fine no need to worry it's nobody at Celtics fault - they do their best so we cannot criticise them and we are the best we can be because we dominate the aforementioned football backwater. If that's your jam so be it but you're losing the rag at people losing the rag so I wouldn't say you're any better off than you were before.

6. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I appreciate that we have found several players for a minimum outlet of cash that have turned out to be gems however that's more out of luck than a good scouting system. I know our board will * their pants when they hear this but they will actually need to spend some of OUR money to bring some quality in

7. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    7 days.... 5 signings required.

8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I was going to say 3 top quality players will do and possibly 2 for reinforcements come janaury however with the way the Europe is now structured and everyone playing after Jan, it'll be even harder to get quality that won't be cup tied. So we better go for all 5 now.

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    It’s pretty disgraceful and that is me being polite.

The fundamental issue we have now is that if we manage to even get one or two signings, it’s likely we are in panic buy territory.

As I’ve said before, the club structure is so poor. They do not seem to understand that a pivotal component of their role is to originate and execute deals. If this can’t be done, what are you contributing? Who is accountable? Who is asking these questions at AGMs?

JML67 likes this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Guys its a hard time to do business, nobody wants to sell their best players in the last week of the window....

Oh wait :s:

11. murphy88

What a load of utter *. You’ve swallowed too much of Lawwell’s nonsense over the years. The * wages when he was CEO wasn’t that of a team playing in a backwater.

12. murphy88

Less than a week to bring in a minimum 3 starters now. That’s still less than we need, but that’s the bare minimum required. As long as we beat an absolute shocking hun team though, you’ll have the same roasters congratulating the way we’re run. More than likely get pumped in Europe yet again, but who cares about progression eh. We laugh at the huns being gullible, we’ve got plenty in our own support as well.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  13. celtic warrior

I don't think it is.

I think there is something in it personally... Celtic always will be able to attract players, providing we spent the millions we clearly have to develop and build a scouting set up that allows us to unearth young talent before they hit it big.

But where we are such a odd club thay demands success right now, to get anywhere in the CL we need to mix it with more experienced heads and not just punting on random under 23 projects.

Our main revenues are not guaranteed, they are player sales and CL involvement. Domestic revenue is probably the poorest in majority of European leagues.

I'm not suggesting we'd do a huns and go bust immediately, but even with the cash in the bank we all believe we should be spending. If we went out and spent regularly £10mill on a player (idah being the exception). The likelihood is that type of player is also getting attention from elsewhere and as a result being offered probably about £20k more than we put on the table.

By most online sources McGregor is pur top earner sitting around £37k a week. With a wage bill around £19m-£22m

To try and paint a picture, to seriously be competitive with player salaries and get in just 5 players at £50k a week would add £13m commitment to our wage budget.

Whereas we clearly operate at a level where players are generally being signed on less than McGregor wages and probably more towards the £20k-£30k.

That can make a huge difference in who we can attract, outside the most typical Celtic style punts on utterly random projects under 23, I mean after all, not that online sources can be fully trusted by even Auston Trusty is rumoured to be on £25k a week which could mean if he's signed he'd likely be better paid then CCV and hardly anyone is really enamoured by his potential signing.

Either way though, I think we'd all agree thay with finances we have regardless, we should be far better at sourcing global talent... there is no excuses that with the millions we have, we can't have a global scale scouting system to really find hidden gems

14. henriks tongue

1 week to go....Full panic mode officially activated!:36:
    • Ever decreasing availability of first XI quality players
    • Overpaying as we are both loaded and desperate
    • Not knowing what's leaving
    • Limited to no sporting structure at the club to generate and execute a cohesive, ambitious recruitment strategy
    But we did play brilliant preseason with what we have, beat city and Chelsea - do we actually need to buy anyone?:39:
    Bernardo is just as good as MoR, surely?
    Idah better than Kyogo?
    It will all be just fine:Kyogo:

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

Yet here we are 6 days to window closes

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  16. murphy88

Do you think Liam Scales and Greg Taylor are the best options out there? Is playing in Scotland an excuse for not having a proper defensive midfielder when it’s clear to anyone with half a brain that we need one for Europe. Was playing in Scotland a reason why we decided to start this season with one striker and one left back?

17. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Now every club sees we have all the dosh in the bank priced will suddenly go up for our targets, sensible thing to do was get them in if Matt was deffo off ffs

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  18. murphy88

The main reasons we struggle to get players here. We have no proper scouting team in place. We are still trying to buy and pay players with a model from two decades ago. Last is we are run by dinosaurs who cannot take the club forward by sorting out the first two reasons.

19. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    At least this window is probably going to save me 1k by not bothering with cl games!.
    Silver linings etc haha.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    And the board and those fans who buy into the policy get what they want with MOR being sold. Unless there is a raft of 3 or 4 quality signings in before the window closes (hint, there won't be), then the fans, the manager and the team have been screwed over again. We will win the league. Again. Of which I will never get tired of. And in Europe we will just fall short. Again. All the whole the financiers running out club will crow about the money in the bank.

evilbunny1991 likes this.