1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'll Relax when the scarfs over the signed players head at Celtic park:ynwacelti

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Mate he said on final day last year 1 or 2 more then within an hour we where done. I don't believe anything until they have the scarf over their head

The Prof likes this.
  3. henriks tongue

The only way we'll have demonstrable progress this window is (Brendan's words, not mine) we have brought in better quality across several positions to both improve the first team and better enable us to compete in Europe.

What that means for me is that our fully fit, starting XI will have around 4-5 new, higher quality players versus last season

So far and with a week to go we have a better goalie.
    With the strong possibility that 2 or 3 of our very best players going the other direction.......

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    Peej likes this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    And as soon as it closes and fans make noise, we will beat the Huns 4-1 and suddenly everyone will be on board again and the club get the easy ride they hope for.

Who needs to improve, so long as what we have beats the Huns - is the logic the board and some fans often go by.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

MagicBallBhoy and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    We need to see it happen rather than talking about it happening.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    And that goalie is, for me, debatable if he is actually a marked improvement on Hart. For me it's like for like. Happy to be proven wrong and happy that we brought in what seems on the face of it as forward planning with the Finnish lad. But far too early to call either the new keepers an improvement on who they replaced.

henriks tongue likes this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's been on record now for weeks, months, on that need.

I trust in him and I believe he is demanding the quality. But he is firmly being let down at present.

I sincerely hope he calls it out when the window closes, because the media for sure will question on it.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers insists Celtic aren't reliant on moving players out before adding quality to their squad.

The Hoops have made four additions so far this summer but Rodgers wants more in the building before the window slams shut next Friday. A left-back, central defender, potentially two midfielders and a striker are all on his wishlist, while a number of fringe players could also be shipped out.

Celts shattered their transfer record by clinching the capture of Adam Idah in a deal which could rise to £9.5million, while £4.5m has been spent on Paulo Bernardo, Kasper Schmeichel and Viljami Sinisalo. The champions have in excess of £70m in the bank and supporters are demanding more signings over the coming week - and Rodgers is clearly on the same page.

He told Sky Sports: "I think in terms of the squad as a whole I've got a very good squad of good people. I think the challenge for us is to always improve and that will come with bringing in a certain level of quality that can really help us in European football. That's not something that's new, that's something that's always been clear. We're in a really good place but of course we want to improve as a team and as a club and that will be the objective over the course of the next week

Asked if the club are waiting to move out players before adding to the squad, Rodgers said: "No, because we haven't spent a great deal of money in terms of where we're at and where we expect to be at as a club. So I would look at us over the coming week to be able to do some business and it shouldn't be reliant on players going out. We're virtually running at the same as where we were last season. But if our idea is to improve, then we'll hopefully be active in the market over this next week."

Brighton are expected to ramp up their efforts to land Matt O'Riley in a deal north of £25m once Billy Gilmour seals his switch to Napoli in the coming days. But as things stand, Rodgers confirmed there has been no concrete offer for his star man.

He said: "I think all the speculation and gossip over the last week or so, I'm preparing for a five-a-side game at the weekend. There's been so many players linked with going away. There's nothing concrete, there's clearly interest in him and a number of the other players but in this moment in time, we're very clear and focused and preparing for St Mirren. Until I get told otherwise, that's exactly what we'll do. Absolutely, as I stand here now, that's the current standing (that O'Riley will be in this weekend's squad

Japanese sensation Kyogo was linked with a shock move to Manchester City during the week but again, Rodgers says there has been no note of interest from the Premier League champions. He added: "No, none at all. It's that time of the season now when the guys get to work, their representatives and all the guys that create the market.

"So there's lots of speculation and rumours and there will continue to be throughout. But I do expect maybe one or two to go out to get playing and hopefully coming in the other way to help us improve."

9. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Im in the camp that though this window has been frustrating re movement of players both away from the club, and any new improvements, it will end up being a good one.
    Losing MOR and possibly Kyogo, cant and wont result in the team being weaker.
    There is absolutely NO WAY will BR allow that to happen after everything hes been saying there will be a strong movement of incoming "quality" players.
    If it does, he`ll also be gone, as his reputation will be in shatters, and he wont want that to be the end result.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

seanm likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Are you suggesting that if we * the Huns we shouldn’t take elation from that?

Pogues, Belgian_lad and seanm like this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Come on mate. Be as raging about the lack of activity in priority positions as you want to be but you're being exceptionally silly if you don't believe Schmiechel is a massive improvement on Joe Hart.

We can debate whether or not Sinisalo is an improvement on Siegrist but given they're at completely different instances in their career and Siegrist was never going to be No. 1 at the age of 30 odd here, it's an improvement because it's a plan in place for a position.

seanm likes this.
  13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It's absolutley shocking the collapse after Ange left, when he was here things seemed in great order, you didn't even need to think about transfers as everything was done well and quick and everything you would have wanted happened.

Now we are back to scraping about at the death, nobody knows if we'll sign anyone or not. The January window was an utter shambles, we were shocking going into that and then done barely anything in it.

Then since that we've replaced 2 keepers with 2 other keepers and thats it.

* unbelievable.

Theres probably not a single club in the CL who only had 1 player for a position in their squad and are this far into the transfer window and have done nothing.

The left-back position you'd put money on some diddy will come in on loan as a back-up then they'll announce Taylor has signed a new contract days after the window shuts like the left-back position is sorted now.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Absolutely should take the joy of it, but it will simply paper over the "cracks" and allow the board to ride that joy and sweep away the criticism

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I do not believe Kasper is a "massive improvement" on Hart at all.

He may very well be better, but not by much I would imagine. Hart was great last season for us, superb in fact. It would be hard going to be better than him at 37, I fully expect Kasper to match him. But not be massively better that we cheer it as some sort of magical upgrade that's gonna make the difference.

seanm likes this.
  16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That is major hyperbole IMO.

17. Sgt Neppers*

If not...he'll be dragged in to view, rightly so, as to the shambles of a recruitment strategy with his pals upstairs.

The Prof likes this.
  18. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

We’re a club whose scouting is almost entirely based around personal connections.

Dudu Dahan
    Lawwell and the City Group
    Ange and the Japanese players
    O’Riley and Peter Grant

It’s fine to go to that well. Great, in fact. But we seem to be relying on them almost exclusively, and most of the players we sign outside of those contacts are usually duds. That indicates a real problem.

MagicBallBhoy and Sentinel like this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don't think so.

Happens often with us, we get angry and annoyed at the usual slow and lethargic windows, only to have the board give us a spiel or wait for a good run of results that can be used as a "see the squads fine" sort of thing.

A good win over the Huns on the back of a dreadful transfer window, most certainly will be used by some to paint a rosey picture.

20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Just the usual * getting spouted near the end of the last 3 windows. The signings to come in during the last week we always hear about with just be that desperate loan from England so we have something to announce deadline day.

Everyone knows O’Riley is away why not just say it will most likely happen.

Honestly just sick of listening to all this pish about transfers from the club. Will just see what happens and I don’t get in the slightest bit excited by it anymore.

Lewis Kerr likes this.