1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not exactly a rumour. It’s been dragged out for weeks.

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Alistair Johnston insists the Celtic squad are chilled out about the prospect of a Brendan Rodgers staging a late shopping spree – because the Hoops squad is already strong enough for the scrap for silverware in Scotland.

The Parkhead side have made a swashbuckling start to the season with two wins out of two and six goals scored without conceding in resounding victories against Kilmarnock and Hibs. Rodgers’ side have roared out of the blocks but the boss is determined to bolster his group with new arrivals with the transfer deadline clock ticking.

Celtic have snapped up keepers Kasper Schmeichel and Viljami Sinisalo, with midfielder Paulo Bernardo’s loan move made permanent in a £3.7m deal from Benfica. The Adam Idah saga is expected to be sorted this week but Rodgers has spoken about his need for quality additions to be ready for the crack at the Champions League. Johnston insisted any new faces will we welcomed into the camp – but he’s convinced the Hoops already have the firepower to kick on from last season’s Double triumph.

The Canada star said: “It’s a tough one because I believe in everyone in that locker room right now. I think that we have a really strong squad, but at the same time you know what the gaffer wants to bring in. I think he’s been pretty vocal about that, and anyone that can come in and help push this team is going to be welcomed as well with open arms.

There are plenty of players we saw last year who came in and helped push us on. At the same time, I don’t think any of us are too stressed about that. We’ve got a pretty strong squad right now, and I think the results show that.

“It’s a very similar 11 to what we were rolling out last year that went and did a Double. If we can just build on our performances, which I think we can, with an extra year under our belt, I think we’ll be in a really good place no matter who comes in.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There’s not a hope in * we’re bringing in another 5, TBF I’d be seriously amazed if it were 4 as well.

Can see a couple of first team additions tops and maybe a late loan signing.

It looks as if the focus on one deal at a time thing is actually true, which is a shambles but it means we can move on once Idah is wrapped up.

4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Think we could get a couple of really good loan to buy deals from down south once their squads and that are beginning to be finalised this week.

Chelsea are trying to offload another 12 players before the window shuts and that will definitely start to cause a domino like effect on the rest of football.

The_Bhoy and Celts88 like this.
  5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just under 3 weeks left now, should see more movement the closer we get to the end. The Idah deal was vital, think the club will be relieved to get it done finally.

LB and LCB of quality and we're cooking, then a midfielder to replace Matt if/when he goes I'd be confident of getting done. Anything over that would be nice, but all of the above I'd be happy.

Sgt Neppers* and Celts88 like this.
  6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye agree with the above posts, no chance we get 5 after Idah, and I'd be shocked if we get 4.

It'll a LB, CB and a CM to replace O'Riley if he leaves. There's a slim chance we get another winger but I think it's a position we'll leave until January, could maybe see us go back in for Balikshawa as his price will have dropped and he'll be back from injury.

CDM will likely elude us again for another season.

7. wulliebad

9 million, clearly lawell has sunstroke.

singer61 likes this.
  8. FrankMcCallum

Except from the fact it’s been well established that he was personally responsible for signing Schmeichel and Idah?

9. FrankMcCallum

We’ve had one senior left back at the club for months on end.

That’s unacceptable for Pollok Juniors let alone a club who are already qualified for the Champions League.

Just utterly baffling. Can’t even meet the bare minimum requirements for squad numbers before we even start talking about quality.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  10. oh bhoy

where is k tierney headed this year ,think i read somewhere he was bombed out of the arsenal first team squad altogether ,get him loaned to see if he is fit enough for a contract next year

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic hit the button on a blockbuster bid worth up to £9.5million to bring Adam Idah back to Parkhead.

The Hoops, who also remain hot on the trail of Liverpool defender Owen Beck, have been pushing hard to land last season’s loan star. And they finally reached agreement with Norwich following a weekend of talks to make the hitman one of the club’s most expensive signings ever. Record Sport understands Celtic will cough up around £8.5m up front to get their man, with up to £1m on top in add-ons and a 15 per cent sell-on clause.

Idah is set to head to Scotland on Tuesday for a medical before completing his dream move, with the Republic of Ireland star’s heart set on a return on the back of his successful spell in Glasgow in the second half of last season. The 23-year-old’s fee is just shy of the £9m spent on Odsonne Edouard in 2018, albeit it eclipses the £7m dished out for Christopher Jullien the following year.

Celts made their move having banked a cool £3m for youth product Bosun Lawal from Stoke, having already pocketed around £4m for the sales of Oh Hyeon-gyu and Sead Haksabanovic. Lawal signed a four-year deal with the Championship side after impressing on a loan spell at Fleetwood Town last term.

As for Beck, the Scottish champions have held initial talks but have been unable to agree a fee so far for a player they tried to sign on loan in January. Liverpool want around £3m with further add-ons for the 22-year-old who is high on Celtic’s list of left-back options to challenge Greg Taylor.

The Wales international has a host of loan options in the English Championship with Middlesbrough, Leeds and QPR are all interested. Beck grabbed the headlines with a brilliant loan at Dundee in the first half of last season but was recalled by Jurgen Klopp in January before Celtic made their move.

The Hoops were scuppered when he made his Premier League debut as a sub against Bournemouth meaning Beck couldn’t play for a third team in a season. He ended up returning to Dundee on loan but his second spell was curtailed by injury.

Brendan Rodgers is keen to bring in a left-back and another central defender. Celtic had asked the question about Burnley’s Irish defender Dara O’Shea but that is looking increasingly unlikely as he is now attracting Premier League interest from sides such as Brentford.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Football Manager has ruined me.

But in all seriousness, our ideal business model is to buy players, sell them for profit, then buy better players next time round, incrementally increasing the quality of our squad and its value. That's our route to getting ahead whilst staying profitable.

This isn't a good execution of that ideal policy. Granted, neither is much else we do, but it still annoys me.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I totally get that. Think we all do.

But not every deal immediately needs to be thought of that way. Goals and value as a striker go hand in hand, we could very easily get money back on him if he's a success.

On the other hand, if noone is interested, their decision.

Also, in theory we should reinvest and buy better players next time around but I think you and I both know that doesn't happen here. Hence why the money side of things to me is getting old.

It's time we spent. We ain't gonna go bust.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  14. Celts88 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The Lemon
    Pass

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye. I love KT but his injury history is a concern.

The_Bhoy and Celts88 like this.
  16. Celts88 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The Lemon
    Caveat - the tweet may be rubbish but posting as not much else

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Turkish press talk a lot of bollocks so I’ll take that with a pinch of salt for now.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  18. Sween

I agree with all of that. Only concern is that we are going to be paying over the odds because we seem to have no working scouting system or plan.

To negotiate properly you really want a plan B and plan C lined up. So you have a Miovski, a Shankland, and a couple of half options in a pipeline and Idah is one of several. We seem to telegraph the one guy we must have, who is another Rodgers sourced player rather than our scouts, as if there's no one else in the world. We pay over the odds because we can't be seen not to get him.

BigDoggyWoofWoof and Mr Shelby like this.
  19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Posted on the rumours thread that it seemed to be a rumour thats gathering pace, unfortunately it's all from twitter. But apparently we were scouting in Peru.. big mean * by the sounds of it and free... could be right up our street.

Quick google says we were interested in him under Lennon...

singer61 and Celts88 like this.
  20. henriks tongue

I have no problem with big fee for Idah given we just hoard cash anyway - nice to see some £ leaving the tin.
    I'm probably more worried about what it means for rest of budget this window - the start of an epic splurge or that's all folks?
    Let's see.

The_Bhoy likes this.