1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Football in general is detrimental to your health. Stressful as * :biggrin:

Even England getting to the Euro final meant the summer continued to be stressful.

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just focus on the free flowing rip roaring high scoring celtic we see on the pitch. Consider any new additions a bonus

3. themouth1888

Thanks for the comforting words Peter.

4. henriks tongue

Until we play someone good

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'll stick to my imagination to make me feel better thanks. :56:

Random Review likes this.
  6. Foley1888

It was rumoured he was to be McGregors replacement at Ibrox and we offered crazy wages to get him to come here. I don’t think those figures are accurate though. I doubt Ralston given his role in the squad is on £14k a week.

7. murphy88

Not a chance did we sign a keeper from Dundee Utd and put him on 15k p/w. He would have been lucky to be on 2/3k at Dundee Utd.

8. murphy88

Siegrist and McCarthy are away now as well.

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

It’s like a carbon copy of last couple of Windows. * all happening for weeks then Rodgers starts he wee digs about transfers and that we will get some late on etc etc. it’ll just a be a loan and Idah before it closes that’s getting obvious.

We will get outspent by Rangers if they make it through which they probably will. Which is embarrassing.

NakamuraTastic and Hammy89 like this.
  10. horseshoe

Always take those wage listings you find online with a massive pinch of salt but 10k+ for Siegrist actually wouldn't surprise me, he was easily the best of the rest in the league at the time, rumoured the huns wanted him as well, and was a free transfer, agents getting players wages bumped when there's no fee involved is fairly common.

11. celtic warrior

I do get that, but then in theory we our down two CB who were supposed to be clear first teamers whole flopped horrendously and a 3rd choice striker down.

Where does that 1 player come kn to fill the gap of the either of the CBs or ST that has left.

It is a weird position to be in because it seems more and more evident that what we need to actually progress and have any solid footing in European competition, just in wages alone and overall squad depth, isn't practical.

Because as fans we could all argue a case for why different positions need clear improvement within the current first 11, further still, how our bench could be greatly strengthened, but just look at the carry on with Bernardo and rumours around that taking so long because of wage demands.

We can afford a healthy amount of players between £7mill and £10mill range this window alone as one off transfer fees, but it seems wages for those players are largely going to be way to close and if not more, than our highest earners at the club already.

Which is where I think we struggle as a result and which is why we constantly see these weird left field project signings that make up most of our windows and then maybe 1 player a season who's likely considered a more experienced head

12. constant

The mindset might be we don't need to spend big this year because our main opponents are in a state of disarray, that might explain the apparent impasse/delay between Rodgers and the Celtic board over the extent of transfers.

It could be we are keeping Nawrocki to give him another chance, with CCV and Scales as first picks, with maybe Murray as the fourth CB.

With Taylor having signed another contract, and well liked at the club apparently, then maybe we are going to give Anderson and Frame a chance to push as back up, and Scales as emergency cover at LB if needed. This would not surprise me because we have had a series of left backs who have failed to be even decent cover for Taylor let alone competition, so they might be unwilling to spend big bucks on another failed venture.

We still need another defensive midfielder as McGregor can't do it on his own, Iwata might be given a bigger role to play, and if Riley goes as seems likely, then we will need at least another midfielder. Holm might come good, but that remains to be seen.

That would leave us still needing a striker and possibly another left winger.

Not exactly ideal if true, because that would mean our ambitions still don't strech beyond being top dogs in Scotland.

I stand to be surprised yet before the closure of the transfer window.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're saying, however even the transfer fees can be offset against the length of contract, so a 5 year deal for a £7m player becomes £1.4m per year until they're sold.

The other argument is that the profits we are making from player sales are not being reinvested in a way to promote perpetual growth. For example we if we made profit of £10m on Jota, could we not then use the profit to be made to increase the wages we offer to a replacement? or a marquee signing in another position? Instead we seem content to bank the money and remain with a similar wage structure while footballer wages rise across the continent and we are left behind, gradually forced to shop is cheaper markets likely bringing in a worse standard of player.

In terms of squad depth, something we have also been guilty of is bloating the squad with average players that then blocks the pathway for young academy & B team players to break through. We could save wages wasted on deadwood and supplement a stronger XI with academy prospects making the matchday squads more often.

NakamuraTastic and greengrocer like this.
  14. mayo

Think it’s apparent it’s all on who we can shift is dependent on what we bring in. In some positions we’ll have to shift 2 before we bring 1 in. With that I believe we’ll sign a LB, CB, O’Riley replacement, ST and versatile ST who can play across the front 3 of needed.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Idah and a left back.
    And the left back is a loan.

It's a pathetic window.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

16. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Him being on high wages would explain also why he's been surplus to requirements since his first season yet has remained at the club. Can't get anyone to cover his wages.

17. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I try my best to avoid transfer speculation because I know I am impatient but this is borderline criminal now.

The season has started and we have looked good but we are only an injury or two away from a disaster.

If Kyogo or Taylor gets injured we will be scrambling for a replacement when it should have been done weeks ago. Always the same old story.

The board are happy just to be beating the huns. Zero ambition. I'll be coming off the HCTS next season if nothing changes.

18. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Have I missed Taylor signing a new contract?

19. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Out with our starting 11 and possibly 1 or 2 others, our squad is very thin on quality. We seen it several times last season with injuries and still the board are doing nothing.

Surprised? Not at all. It happens every window. Fully expect a couple of panic signings. 2 projects and an out of contract journeyman.

NakamuraTastic and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  20. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Heard James McCarthy is available on a free?

NakamuraTastic likes this.